The Student Room Group

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fruli
I did not say Brexiters are racist.

Undeniably there are Brexiters who had race-based motivations and the point is that Brexit emboldened actual racists to come out of their shells.

If you missed this point, then that's not my problem.

Your "point" is utterly inane. Dumb.

In what way did Brexit "embolden actual racists to come out of their shells?" What does that even mean?

How do you know that this exact same thing wouldn't have happened if the vote had gone the other way? Just without that particular chant? Do you really think these idiots wouldn't be racist anyway??

It was a vote to free this country from the EU. It didn't cause racism, that exists all over the world, from all races. Including by the way, Remain voters in this country.
Reply 81
Original post by nevershear
This thread is hilariously single-minded in any case, the two white fellas got in trouble for it, but obviously not the girl who's screaming "we hate white [insert c word here]"

Because I'm not going to lay down on the A312 to T5 wearing a "#BlackLivesMatter" shirt I am therefore white, this is exceptionally stupid logic even for the TSR news section.

No one said anything about supporting black lives matter or any other race-based initiatives.

We simply disagreed with your view that racist utterances are banter. Clearly, you are an imaginary black dude.

If you are really black, then I conclude a poor sense of identity. But I guess, based on the type of circles you have described yourself as being part of, it's no surprise.
Bet the people involved didnt think it would turn out like this.

About to be nationally/ internationally famous, potentially expelled from university and barred from reapplying, plus a court case to look forward to.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

1) Going to the police is more intimidating. Filing a false report to the police can sometimes lead to charges against yourself, and people even with genuine reports are probably put off by the risk of not being believed.

We are not talking of filing a false report, so that doesn't enter into it. People that file false reports should be punished. This ended up with the police anyway, so I cannot saee how reporting it to the only people who might have actually stopped the situation while it was happening is intimidating compared to what was being experienced.

2) The University can take action that police can't. For example, even if the charges against the student is dropped by the police, the University can still enforce some kind of punishment.

The university can do that anyway, regardless of what happens with the police.

3) People are more and more accustomed to doing things via social media, and publicly. Publicly sharing a video online of someone committing an offense is probably becoming more natural to people, while going through police bureaucracy is becoming less natural.

Then people are becoming more and more silly, No organisation is better equipped to deal with criminal wrongdoing than the police.
Reply 84
Original post by generallee
Do you really think these idiots wouldn't be racist anyway??

They have always been racist and that's the point. They just came out of their shells.

How else do you explain the rise of racist reports post Brexit?

Clearly, we disagree on this, but it's no reason to get emotional. You can make your points without getting angry and using emotive language.

Please sort out your anger issues.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
No one said anything about supporting black lives matter or any other race-based initiatives.

We simply disagreed with your view that racist utterances are banter. Clearly, you are an imaginary black dude.

If you are really black, then I conclude a poor sense of identity. But I guess, based on the type of circles you have described yourself as being part of, it's no surprise.

AHAHAH look at you, you are the one here trying to dictate how black people should all act all the time, you are literally telling someone he is not black because he does not act like you, you are the racist you are the one that is trying to make it out like all blacks are the same
Reply 86
Original post by AperfectBalance
AHAHAH look at you, you are the one here trying to dictate how black people should all act all the time, you are literally telling someone he is not black because he does not act like you, you are the racist you are the one that is trying to make it out like all blacks are the same

I haven’t responded to any of your quotes so far for a reason.

I know that you live and breathe extreme right-wing views. That’s all you ever post about on these boards and coming from that position I know there’s nothing sensible to be discussed with a person like you. I engage and associate with people with balanced views. It’s the reason I have ignored you so far.

The only reason I’ve posted about this today is that it’s a story that’s trending, unlike you I don’t spend my time being so wrapped up in issues of race.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
They have always been racist and that's the point. They just came out of their shells.

How else do you explain the rise of racist reports post Brexit?

Clearly, we disagree on this, but it's no reason to get emotional. You can make your points without getting angry and using emotive language.

Please sort out your anger issues.

Don't patronise me. I am not angry, but I do feel very strongly about the fact that Remainers try and smear Brexit with the "racist" tag as part of their campaign to prevent it.

You said in an earlier post (but seem to have edited it out, which is good) "welcome to Brexit Britain."

If you don't want to induce strong responses from people who fervently support Brexit you would be wise not to make such inflammatory statements on this website in future. A word to the wise.
Reply 88
Original post by generallee
Don't patronise me. I am not angry, but I do feel very strongly about the fact that Remainers try and smear Brexit with the "racist" tag as part of their campaign to prevent it.

You said in an earlier post (but seem to have edited it out, which is good) "welcome to Brexit Britain."

If you don't want to induce strong responses from people who fervently support Brexit you would be wise not to make such inflammatory statements on this website in future. A word to the wise.

You come across as very emotive. Only stating what I can see, I'm not patronising you. I'm really sorry you have negative emotions, but I'd suggest you get a handle on them.

"welcome to Brexit Britain."- That was not me, That was another poster. A wise word to you would be to get your facts right before making false accusations.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Fruli
I haven’t responded to any of your quotes so far for a reason.

I know that you live and breathe extreme right-wing views. That’s all you ever post about on these boards and coming from that position I know there’s nothing sensible to be discussed with a person like you. I engage and associate with people with balanced views. It’s the reason I have ignored you so far.

The only reason I’ve posted about this today is that it’s a story that’s trending, unlike you I don’t spend my time being so wrapped up in issues of race.

"Extreme right wing views" yeah sure, the reason you have not argued with me is because you cannot, the points I have made are sound, you are just using this as an excuse to keep your incorrect views

You have today said that someone isnt black because they disagree with you, implying that black people are all the same, very racist and stupid
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by AperfectBalance
"Extreme right wing views" yeah sure, the reason you have not argued with me is because you cannot, the points I have made are sound, you are just using this as an excuse to keep your incorrect views

You have today said that someone isnt black because they disagree with you, implying that black people are all the same, very racist and stupid

That's because he's an anomaly. As a black person, I'd be hard-pressed to find another black person who shares his views. That's not to say people like him don't exist. They do exist but are very rare. I've heard people with views like his referred to as Uncle Toms.

He mentioned that he has racist banter with factory workers. Being from London I don't know many factory worker types, but I have been living in Ipswich for the past two years, where one might find many blue-collar factory worker types that he was describing in his post. Incidentally, there aren't many black people in areas like this, so I can only conclude that he's grown up amongst white people and has found his identity in white people.

Good for him. As long as he knows his views represent a tiny minority of black people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Disgusting behaviour
Reply 92
Original post by Good bloke
We are not talking of filing a false report, so that doesn't enter into it. People that file false reports should be punished. This ended up with the police anyway, so I cannot saee how reporting it to the only people who might have actually stopped the situation while it was happening is intimidating compared to what was being experienced.

If she had reported it to the police and nothing resulted, it would only make it worse for the person, likely she had never been through anything like this before so didn't know what to do.

It could also be that she only had one phone- the one she recorded on for proof that the incident took place and only had time to make a call before the thought of recording.
Original post by yusyus
If she had reported it to the police and nothing resulted, it would only make it worse for the person

And, of course, reporting it to people with no power of arrest, and further who delayed passing the report on to the proper authorities, was so much better, wasn't it?
Reply 94
These doors are not really sound-proof.:s-smilie:
Reply 95
Original post by Good bloke
And, of course, reporting it to people with no power of arrest, and further who delayed passing the report on to the proper authorities, was so much better, wasn't it?

and how was she to know that?
If the police were called it could've resulted in them doing nothing while recording what was going on has.
Original post by yusyus
and how was she to know that?

I think the general and reasonable expectation is that the police will respond urgently to violent incidents that are current wherever possible.
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
We are shocked and appalled by this video. This vile behaviour will not be tolerated at NTU. We value being a diverse global community, with staff and students from across the world.

We are in regular contact with our student who made the complaint and are providing support.

The suspected perpetrators have been suspended immediately and we have begun an investigation. We are also cooperating fully with the police, who have launched a criminal investigation and have made arrests.

It’s clear that there have been delays in dealing with this incident, and that is completely unacceptable. We will work with our accommodation partner to review our processes to ensure this never happens again.

Kudos, not many easily admit mistakes.
Calling these british white people chavs makes it seem like you can somehow tell where the racists are. There's many of them, all around us and they only have the audacity to be racist in crowds. Cowards. Never would catch them get brave in a 1 on 1 situation.
Its in wider society and so why not at university. With this continuing worldwide theme that immigrants are the problem, we will continue to see conflict.
Original post by Fruli
It's really shocking to see this thuggish behaviour happening at a university. There was a time university was the reserve of the refined. What's happening to this society?

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/971709372282884097

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending