The Student Room Group

Amazon's Alexa is randomly laughing and no-one knows why...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by discobish
Earlier this week, BuzzFeed reported that a number of people have had their Alexa speakers start laughing for no apparent reason.

Alexa is reportedly 'cackling like a witch' following regular voice commands, and in other cases, does so completely unprompted.

What users have been saying:

Simple technology malfunction, a sly PR stunt... or robot overlords taking over? You decide.

(Amazon is currently trying to fix this problem, which you can read more about here. :h:)

Alexa is no more important. You can get more Education About Alexa here.
Reply 21
Serves them right for wasting their money on an Alexa... lazy gits
'Oh god, oh god, yes, yes, yes, oh my god!'

Alexa cackles knowingly.
a mistake in hearing what it has been told to do
when people go to bed and say:'' turn of the light '' Alexa mistakes light for laugh and so laughs
damnnn she freaky :redface:
Original post by CoolCavy
I'm still unsure why people have these things in the first place? What do they even do?

It's basically siri except you can yell at it from across the room and it works as a pretty good speaker. Saying that, Alexa's not always that responsive so trying to use her to blast the tunes at predrinks is a mixed bag.

People buy them because it feels cool for about a week.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
It's basically siri except you can yell at it from across the room and it works as a pretty good speaker. Saying that, Alexa's not always that responsive so trying to use her to blast the tunes at predrinks is a mixed bag.

People buy them because it feels cool for about a week.

What sort of stuff does it do? :beard: like on the adverts it turns lights on an stuff but couldnt people just walk over and turn the light on :s-smilie:
The laugh was probably something programmed in to make fun of it's owner stupid enough to buy this garbage. Seriously why on earth would anyone buy this if they already own a smartphone.
What sort of stuff does it do? :beard: like on the adverts it turns lights on an stuff but couldnt people just walk over and turn the light on :s-smilie:

Most useful thing I've found is you can sync it up with your spotify and ask it to play random tunes, and then 'cos it's basically a big ass speaker with an AI in it the sound is actually pretty good. It can also place amazon orders and **** through it which makes things easier if you know exactly what you're wanting and can't be arsed going through all the usual clickery. Of course if you want an item but don't know exactly you don't get to browse pics so you might order something a bit weird.

Think you can order dominos through it as well, but I guess if you did that you wouldn't get the nice pizza tracker they have on the app. Don't have one myself, but a mate of mine's got the big ol speaker one and I bought my mum the dot for her birthday 'cause she was very keen on one for some unknown reason.

And yeah the lights thing is very pointless.
[video="youtube;s6LCYgXJvV0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6LCYgXJvV0[/video]
my google home listens to me because it has 1 light on all the time and also when you talk about something in my house, it comes up in my google adverts
Original post by ElonMuskFan123
my google home listens to me because it has 1 light on all the time and also when you talk about something in my house, it comes up in my google adverts

You sir, have the best username I’ve seen today
Someone MAKE IT STOP

:afraid: :afraid: :afraid:
:afraid: :afraid:
:afraid:

disabled people :unsure:
---
I think she's laughing cos she's selling your personal information to russian fraudsters while you sleep.
Original post by Joinedup
disabled people :unsure:
---
I think she's laughing cos she's selling your personal information to russian fraudsters while you sleep.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rocky+lockridge+crying+gif&adlt=strict&view=detail&mid=62CE52017B2F9BD1FE8862CE52017B2F9BD1FE88&&FORM=VRDGAR
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Someone MAKE IT STOP

:afraid: :afraid: :afraid:
:afraid: :afraid:
:afraid:

wdafug is this x-files level ****
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
wdafug is this x-files level ****

Smoking Man is in that blue cylinder, I swear it.
she went all Laughing Policeman when i asked

Spoiler

:dontknow:
I'm still unsure why people have these things in the first place? What do they even do?

It's like the Stasi. Except we all volenteer to let massive corporations have the ability to listen to us in our own homes -__-

Quick Reply

Latest