The Student Room Group

Do I have some mental problem? Bipolar?

ive been thinking recently that i have some kind of mental issue and I dont know what its called. I have loads and loads of mood swings, I go from crying to being happy and jokey in minutes. I feel happy most the time at school and then awful when I get home for no apparent reason. I cant stop thinking about sex 24/7 and I feel like its literally taking over my life. I did an online test for bipolar and it said i should see a doctor, are these tests just a pile of bs or could it really mean something. Does anyone have bipolar and tell me what its like?
Rapid cycling bipolar patients have at least 4 mood episodes a year, it's not a case of switching every few minutes.

You could see your doctor if you're worried, but tbh a lot of teenagers get mood swings and sex on the brain tends to be common too.
if you are really struggling talk about it with your friends or get a counsellor.
you dont need a diagnosis and online tests really are bs
bipolar usually happens in long episodes so its probably just mood swings
if the mood swings are really severe then get help
Reply 3
Original post by Sabertooth
Rapid cycling bipolar patients have at least 4 mood episodes a year, it's not a case of switching every few minutes.

You could see your doctor if you're worried, but tbh a lot of teenagers get mood swings and sex on the brain tends to be common too.

Original post by ElonMuskFan123
if you are really struggling talk about it with your friends or get a counsellor.
you dont need a diagnosis and online tests really are bs
bipolar usually happens in long episodes so its probably just mood swings
if the mood swings are really severe then get help

thanks, are mood swings just a general thing or are there like mental diseases surrounding frequent mood changes throughout the day?
Original post by Anonymous
thanks, are mood swings just a general thing or are there like mental diseases surrounding frequent mood changes throughout the day?

i actually don't think so. but i can relate to your problem because one hour id be over the moon and the next id feel suicidal. you grow out of it. i think if your a teenager (likely a girl) then you should talk to people about how you feel but remember that it will eventually end
Hi, I know this was posted a wee while ago, but I have been diagnosed with bipolar and I experience cycles which vary between a few hours and two weeks (meaning that a manic or depressive episode can change rapidly and multiple times throughout a short period), which sounds similar to what you are experiencing, although obviously things affect people differently, and I'm not a qualified doctor so obviously I can't suggest a diagnosis or anything.

Generally drs are hesitant about diagnosing bipolar in people under 25 because thats around the age where symptoms usually begin to appear, however it can be diagnosed in children and young adults. Because of this it is sometimes useful to use a mood tracker (I used MoodTrack which is available on apple but im not sure about android) this means that you can keep a record of when your mood changes and how it affects you, which can be useful to show to your GP and then your local mental health team (if you are referred to one) to demonstrate how and when your moods change (its also useful to help identify triggers which may cause a mood change, this can help you learn to understand and control your moods).

Theres also the possibility that it could just be mood swings, but if they are severe enough to impact your day-to-day life then you should go to your GP (it also helps if you emphasise what the impact of the mood changes have on your life, as drs tend to take you more seriously if your condition is limiting how you can function generally, but also don't lie or over-exaggerate because you may be misdiagnosed).

Lastly, have you considered Borderline Personality Disorder (which sounds scarier than it is), because symptoms of BPD often include rapid mood swings (heres a link to some info about it https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/borderline-personality-disorder-bpd/#.Ws9tWi_Mw_U )

Again, I'm not a doctor but I have had symptoms of bipolar for about 6 years and I have had experience with the NHS's mental health services (both CAMHS and adult units), so if you have questions about what might happen if you're diagnosed, or anything about living with bipolar (or mood swings in general) then feel free to message me, I can't guarantee I'll know the answer though

Good Luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest