The Student Room Group

should i get paid

Scroll to see replies

Original post by finorin00
I wasted my day because I was meant to be working but they said I couldnt work depsite what was agreed prior, and therefore i couldnt make any other plans, and the contract is only for 10 hours, so we have made and agreement i dont have to work anymore then 10 hours, Im shocked by the mentality of people like you who believe and employer should have the right to treat an employee however they want
Also i have other obligations to meet in my life so i cant necesssarily work for more than 10 hours

Circumstances change. It wasn't the company's fault that it snowed and customers weren't coming to the store. You need to be adaptable and flexible.
Reply 21
Original post by DrawTheLine
Circumstances change. It wasn't the company's fault that it snowed and customers weren't coming to the store. You need to be adaptable and flexible.[/Q

I dont have to be flexible or adaptive at all, i have to do what my contract asks me to do which is work 10 hours a week, and my employer has to give me 10 hours a week, i get what your saying, but we have laws and agreements like this for a reason
Reply 22
well your you and im me, i have other obligations to meet in my, you might have time to do extra work but not everyone else does, also 10 hours is what was agreed

Circumstances change and you have to adapt. If you are so bothered by missing 3 hours maybe you need to find something else to do to accommodate you.
I dont have to be flexible or adaptive at all, i have to do what my contract asks me to do which is work 10 hours a week, and my employer has to give me 10 hours a week, i get what your saying, but we have laws and agreements like this for a reason

And circumstances change that are out of the company's control meaning you may not be able to work your contracted hours, hence why doing them the next week to make up the hours is a good solution.
Reply 24
Original post by Bio 7
Circumstances change and you have to adapt. If you are so bothered by missing 3 hours maybe you need to find something else to do to accommodate you.

Tbh its not a massive deal with me cause im a student and i get a loan as well, but if this is your full time job, a employer being allowed to make changes like this can mean you cant pay your rent for the month, your basically sucking up to the employer and saying the employees should pay for the employer being at managing
I commited to revise for 3 hours but I only held the book for 30 minutes. Do I get an A?
Reply 26
And circumstances change that are out of the company's control meaning you may not be able to work your contracted hours, hence why doing them the next week to make up the hours is a good solution.

lets say your and employee who is on a 40 hour contract, and you miss 16 hours of work over two days because of a case like mine, should you then have to work 56 hours the next week just because of bad planning by the management
Reply 27
Original post by oohmommy
I commited to revise for 3 hours but I only held the book for 30 minutes. Do I get an A?

not because you never commited to do 3 hours, if you only did 30 minutes and chose not to revise for the other two and a half, i didnt choose not to work, i had no choice, your logic is stupid
lets say your and employee who is on a 40 hour contract, and you miss 16 hours of work over two days because of a case like mine, should you then have to work 56 hours the next week just because of bad planning by the management

How is it bad planning by management that it snowed heavily so customers weren't able to get to the store?

Also, no you wouldn't work 56 hours, The 16 hours would be spread out over 2-3 weeks.
Reply 29
How is it bad planning by management that it snowed heavily so customers weren't able to get to the store?

Also, no you wouldn't work 56 hours, The 16 hours would be spread out over 2-3 weeks.

its bad management cause it had been heavy snowing for 2 days prior, also i live in glasgow scotland where there was a red alert weather warning, they could have cancelled right when this warning was made,

The point is, if you make an agreement like this or anywhere else in life you stick to it, i did not agree to working more hours outside of 10, theres a reason why im only doing a 10 hour contract as i have other things i have to do in my day, the employer broke what they agreed to
Reply 30
its bad management cause it had been heavy snowing for 2 days prior, also i live in glasgow scotland where there was a red alert weather warning, they could have cancelled right when this warning was made,

The point is, if you make an agreement like this or anywhere else in life you stick to it, i did not agree to working more hours outside of 10, theres a reason why im only doing a 10 hour contract as i have other things i have to do in my day, the employer broke what they agreed to

the only reason i made it into work is cause i live walking distance

Because of uncontrollable circumstances.
Reply 32
Because of uncontrollable circumstances.

which were obvious two days before
which were obvious two days before

Doesn't make it controllable.
Reply 34
Doesn't make it controllable.

they could have told me the day before, its obvious there were not going to be any customers, you sound dumb
they could have told me the day before, its obvious there were not going to be any customers, you sound dumb

No it's not obvious. Even though it's likely there wouldn't be any customers, it would have been worse for the company to open with no staff and have no one to serve customers.
Reply 36
No it's not obvious. Even though it's likely there wouldn't be any customers, it would have been worse for the company to open with no staff and have no one to serve customers.

no they could have made me committed my six hours to another time in the week when there wasnt the first red alert weather warning in scotland (which means risk of death) and there would have been customers to serve, and they have to pay to keep the lights on
no they could have made me committed my six hours to another time in the week when there wasnt the first red alert weather warning in scotland (which means risk of death) and there would have been customers to serve, and they have to pay to keep the lights on

The weather can be predicted but it isn't certain. What are you going to do about this seemingly very outrageous problem? Get a lawyer to get your 3 hours pay you didn't earn?
Reply 38
The weather can be predicted but it isn't certain. What are you going to do about this seemingly very outrageous problem? Get a lawyer to get your 3 hours pay you didn't earn?

Also if it was better to keep the shop open with no customers, how come they didnt, witht he amount of snow that was left over it was very likely it was going to be there the next day unless a meteor came and hit us, im probably jsut going to complain, a lawyer isnt worth it, but that doesnt mean that im not right, it might seem outrageous but your basically saying every work contract should be a zero hour one
Also if it was better to keep the shop open with no customers, how come they didnt, witht he amount of snow that was left over it was very likely it was going to be there the next day unless a meteor came and hit us, im probably jsut going to complain, a lawyer isnt worth it, but that doesnt mean that im not right, it might seem outrageous but your basically saying every work contract should be a zero hour one

In no way am I saying that. I'm saying that yes, you have contracted hours and yes, you should work them every week but sometimes things happen that mean you can't do it, and you need to be flexible and adaptable to change. Just because something was agreed doesn't mean that it won't ever change.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending