The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Anyone done the mathematics and physics degree at the open university?

Anyone done the mathematics and physics degree at the open university? How challenging is it? has it been an intellectually stimulating experience?
Also what kinds of jobs/masters did you apply for after your graduation?
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi, I am also interested in doing this degree, I would really like to know how it compares to say a standard brick uni degree in physics
Original post by JT3J
Hi, I am also interested in doing this degree, I would really like to know how it compares to say a standard brick uni degree in physics

I don't study it but it is IOP accredited so it carries some rigor.
Reply 4
Original post by Phillip Banks
I don't study it but it is IOP accredited so it carries some rigor.

Thanks for the feedback
Reply 5
I would like to know more about their maths degree for my brother, so bump :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Antonio Roldan
Anyone done the mathematics and physics degree at the open university? How challenging is it? has it been an intellectually stimulating experience?
Also what kinds of jobs/masters did you apply for after your graduation?

Antonio I have made a thread posing similar question here, I have had some good replies, you might find useful :smile:
Reply 7
So did you start the course? I am thinking about it for October entry this year. The first module (questions in science) seems slightly nebulous compared to what follows, so having to lay out £3k+ and a year of my life (part time) to get that done is a bit off-putting. Might still be worth it for the later modules, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Joe42424
The first module (questions in science) seems slightly nebulous compared to what follows, so having to lay out £3k+ and a year of my life (part time) to get that done is a bit off-putting. Might still be worth it for the later modules, though.

I'm thinking about starting this in October. I have the same feeling about the first year courses than you. So how did it go?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by linuxo
I'm thinking about starting this in October. I have the same feeling about the first year courses than you. So how did it go?

I'm studying this course, but I have done it out of sync, I started with MST124 and am going on to do MST125, so far it has been a good experience, as my other modules were with the OU.

What you'll get from those first modules will really depend on your experience, I barely studied maths past 4th year at secondary school, so I have learnt quite a bit even from MST124.

Quick Reply

Latest