The Student Room Group

How to stop regretting not revising?

I didn't revise at home for my GCSEs because I thought the in-lesson and intervention revision would be enough.. I ended up with A*A*AAABBBCCC in the end which are OK grades but I know I could've got 6 A*s.

I know a lot of people would be happy with my grades but they're hardly TSR standard (usually straight A's).

It also hurts because I've seen the grades of other students who were in lower streams but still got better grades than me!

I'm now doing A-Levels and it's really hard to have belief in myself that I can actually do something with my life. I don't want a STEM career, I like the idea of being a forensic psychologist. My biology teacher put me down the other day, telling our table off for off-topic conversation - she said "I'm expecting A*s and A's from all of you with the exception of (my name)"..
Reply 1
Stop worrying about how well others are doing
Stop worrying about what your teachers are telling you
Just because you didn’t smash your GCSE’s that doesn’t mean you can’t go anywhere. Your grades are very good as far as im concerned and it way above the national average. You can become a forensic psychologist with these grades.
Reply 2
Revise
jog on at least you didn't get 6 D grades
Reply 4
whenever I worry about something and ruminate about it, I try to put things into perspective- the things I was worried about this time last year (or whenever) are not relevant anymore or whatever I was worried about happening never even happened. Look to the future, one day when you're at uni/doing an apprenticeship or whatever you choose you will have this all behind you! Most of the time, the things we worry about never amount to much and they really aren't worth stressing over in the first place, so give yourself a break!
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't forensic psychology a STEM career? :s-smilie: Or did you mistype "I don't want a STEM career" when you meant to type you actually want one?

Also, I wouldn't worry about those grades. Not everyone on TSR has straight A's and A*s (including me). It's just that the top achievers are more likely to state their grades which makes everyone on TSR look like they get straight A*s or whatever. I wouldn't bother comparing yourself to grades on here because some people probably lie to make themselves feel better, and also, you'll probably never meet anyone on here so what's the point in comparing yourself to strangers? If I were you, I'd put in all the work possible to prove your Biology teacher wrong. You're clearly capable of handling A-Levels, otherwise you wouldn't even be accepted at your school's sixth form (or college, if that's what you're at). Science A-Levels especially, are difficult, so you're obviously worthy of being in the class if you've met the requirements for Biology.

Some people get A*s at GCSE and flunk A-Levels because they think they can coast through them. Others get exceptional A-Level results. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with your grades. Just do well at A-Level and prove your teachers wrong.
Original post by Know Your Enemy
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't forensic psychology a STEM career? :s-smilie: Or did you mistype "I don't want a STEM career" when you meant to type you actually want one?

Also, I wouldn't worry about those grades. Not everyone on TSR has straight A's and A*s (including me). It's just that the top achievers are more likely to state their grades which makes everyone on TSR look like they get straight A*s or whatever. I wouldn't bother comparing yourself to grades on here because some people probably lie to make themselves feel better, and also, you'll probably never meet anyone on here so what's the point in comparing yourself to strangers? If I were you, I'd put in all the work possible to prove your Biology teacher wrong. You're clearly capable of handling A-Levels, otherwise you wouldn't even be accepted at your school's sixth form (or college, if that's what you're at). Science A-Levels especially, are difficult, so you're obviously worthy of being in the class if you've met the requirements for Biology.

Some people get A*s at GCSE and flunk A-Levels because they think they can coast through them. Others get exceptional A-Level results. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with your grades. Just do well at A-Level and prove your teachers wrong.

Psychology is a social science, the STEM subjects are hard sciences
Never compare yourself to people on TSR, you're seen as useless if you get anything less than A*'s in everything

You've got a long way to go before you even think about starting a career so concentrate on your A levels and then your undergraduate degree, I can assure you that GCSE's really don't matter in the long run (I'm also on the way to becoming a forensic psychologist)
Original post by bones-mccoy

Fair enough. Guess I thinking of forensics generally.
Original post by bones-mccoy

False. Social sciences are stem too.
Your GCSEs won't matter much past this point. Focus on your a levels and don't make the same mistake.
Original post by Student-95
False. Social sciences are stem too.

Cool
Original post by Anonymous
I didn't revise at home for my GCSEs because I thought the in-lesson and intervention revision would be enough.. I ended up with A*A*AAABBBCCC in the end which are OK grades but I know I could've got 6 A*s.

I know a lot of people would be happy with my grades but they're hardly TSR standard (usually straight A's).

It also hurts because I've seen the grades of other students who were in lower streams but still got better grades than me!

I'm now doing A-Levels and it's really hard to have belief in myself that I can actually do something with my life. I don't want a STEM career, I like the idea of being a forensic psychologist. My biology teacher put me down the other day, telling our table off for off-topic conversation - she said "I'm expecting A*s and A's from all of you with the exception of (my name)"..

Not exactly unfair given that your GCSEs aren't stellar. Your teachers don't know your circumstances and so don't really know what you're capable of. Not to say that you can't achieve As and A*s - but a teacher isn't going to be compelled to expect them. This is quite far into the year anyway - they have evidence of ability past GCSEs. If you are capable, work hard and you can get there.

Quick Reply

Latest