The Student Room Group

Warwick or UOB for English lit?

Stuck between both universities. Like the UOB (Birmingham) campus but heard that Warwick is meant to be good for English?

EDIT: Okay so I had my UOB (Birmingham) applicant day yesterday and I have to say the course was more diverse than I thought. I initally thought it was just very traditional

At the same time, I know Warwick is extremely diverse and you can do different routes etc.

I also won't be moving (for mental health reasons) so I'm aware I shouldn't care about the campus too much but I did feel Warwick is fairly isolated and quiet
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I went to UOB for English for 6 month and decided it was not for me. Some lecturers were good but nothing spectacular, but some were really helpful if you see them individually. Good extra options like study abroad or study skills. I personally could not shake the feeling of what am I really getting here that I can't get anywhere else... or even in UWE that was across the road. If I was you, look at the course modules and see what you like better. Bristol options were a bit dry but I chose it because of the prestige which was silly and the party life. I really liked the Leeds course because it had so many options, not telling you to go Leeds, just saying to think about the course options. The one module I liked in second year at Bristol, I had no guarantee of getting onto it. One of my friends chose English lit at Bristol just for their creative writing module in second year and she didn't get a place on it. Where as if there were more options we like then it would of been ok. But yeah they are both pretty much ranked the same so really depends on what you want. I don't know much about Warwick but Bristol is a cool city, the uni is very middle class but if you are happy that you will fit in then you will be fine lol. One other thing, apparently this changes in second year but in first year at Bristol no-one really got to know each other in English, it was very awkward in tutorial and it was not a very sociable course. But again, I was only there for 6 months! I talk to my friends now and most them love it and say thing have turned around massively! Good luck, you will have fun wherever!
Reply 2
Hi! Thanks for the help. I'll ask around too since I've studied both courses so much haha! I won't be moving due to my servere anxiety so that's why I've chosen my local unis! I hope you don't mind me asking but did you end up graduating at Leeds or did you drop out?
Hey, I never went Leeds btw... I was just giving an example of a course that I should of chose instead 😂. I dropped out of Bristol and I am now doing an apprenticeship in the media industry and probably will return to uni in a couple of years and do a different subject at a different university
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Oh kind of makes me nervous as I chose English because I didn't know what else to pick. I cant take a gap year either to work out my 'passion' since I have to do a course and be there to see if I like it

Original post by studdybuddy101
Hey, I never went Leeds btw... I was just giving an example of a course that I should of chose instead 😂. I dropped out of Bristol and I am now doing an apprenticeship in the media industry and probably will return to uni in a couple of years and do a different subject at a different university
Well if you enjoyed it at A Level you should be alright, it’s great degree to have if you are more just about the general experience of uni than the course specifically. I just felt like I was wasting money on something I didn’t really care about, and I didn’t mind working for a few years instead because I didn’t feel ready. You will be great and if it’s not for you well it’s not the end of the world.
Reply 6
What are you hoping to do once you go back to uni?

Original post by studdybuddy101
Well if you enjoyed it at A Level you should be alright, it’s great degree to have if you are more just about the general experience of uni than the course specifically. I just felt like I was wasting money on something I didn’t really care about, and I didn’t mind working for a few years instead because I didn’t feel ready. You will be great and if it’s not for you well it’s not the end of the world.
warwick then apply to spring internships. would use jobtestprep for numericals
Original post by itsaaliyaa
Stuck between both universities. Like the UOB campus but heard that Warwick is meant to be good for English?

What is UoB? Brighton? Bristol? Birmingham?
Original post by Kyber Ninja

Aye, it is probably the poorest abbreviation I have seen. And I have seen some shoddy abbreviations in my time.
Original post by Notoriety
Aye, it is probably the poorest abbreviation I have seen. And I have seen some shoddy abbreviations in my time.

UoL is just as worse. I don't understand why people do this
Reply 11
Original post by Kyber Ninja

Bham, sorry I should have clarified
Reply 12

Sorry! :/
Bham, sorry I should have clarified

Another abbreviation. Come on, you're supposed to enjoy the English language; why butcher it?
Reply 14
Original post by gr8wizard10
warwick then apply to spring internships. would use jobtestprep for numericals

Sorry, can I ask why? Thanks
Reply 15
Another abbreviation. Come on, you're supposed to enjoy the English language; why butcher it?

Birmingham! Oh gosh, I've had a long night
Birmingham! Oh gosh, I've had a long night

Uncle N forgives you.
Sorry, can I ask why? Thanks

becuase they're a good test provider
Reply 18
Original post by gr8wizard10
becuase they're a good test provider

I meant why you think Warwick? :smile: