The Student Room Group

Would you be put off by this?

Would you be put off being in a relationship with someone who is disabled and uses a powered wheelchair?
Why would I? The person is a normal individual with a heart and mind. Capable of having feelings and emotions for themselves and others.
Reply 2
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Why would I? The person is a normal individual with a heart and mind. Capable of having feelings and emotions for themselves and others.

Yeah, but we are not (usually) good looking.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah, but we are not (usually) good looking.

Some ppl are judgemental like that. Please tell me the right definition of 'good looking' because honestly there isnt one. Why should your looks stop you from being with someone who would appreciate and like you the way you are?
I’m not gonna lie and pretend I’m some angel - from the offset probably wouldn’t be into it. Just being honest.

BUT I wouldn’t rule it out, you never know. Few conversations here and there that hurdle may start getting smaller.
Would you be put off being in a relationship with someone who is disabled and uses a powered wheelchair?

I'd never go out with someone in a wheelchair. We wouldn't be able to do a lot of activities I enjoy, everything would be a hassle (things like the cinema, transport, shopping etc.) and the sex would be awful.
Reply 6
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
Some ppl are judgemental like that. Please tell me the right definition of 'good looking' because honestly there isnt one. Why should your looks stop you from being with someone who would appreciate and like you the way you are?

The definition of good looking is "(of a person) physically attractive".
A person's looks shouldn't stop someone from being with someone but I feel like it can and it does sometimes (not to me yet but I've not been in a relationship yet either)..
Original post by Glassapple
I'd never go out with someone in a wheelchair. We wouldn't be able to do a lot of activities I enjoy, everything would be a hassle (things like the cinema, transport, shopping etc.) and the sex would be awful.

You didn’t put any restraint on that 😂 fair enough though. It’s a very individual thing.
You asked you get answer... yes I would be put off. It'd be different if you weren't disabled at first but say an accident made you disabled while in the relationship tho. Then that would be a **** move to leave a person
The definition of good looking is "(of a person) physically attractive".
A person's looks shouldn't stop someone from being with someone but I feel like it can and it does sometimes (not to me yet but I've not been in a relationship yet either)..

Thats sad tbh. But trust me your disability shouldnt put you off from dating someone. Yeah it might be difficult but there is hope. I, myself wouldnt date a person on a wheelchair, bcuz you can't do certain things that you would want to do. But that shouldnt stop you x
Original post by Glassapple

fair enough. i did ask the question and i'm glad that people are being honest and not just trying to sugarcoat everything. Thanks
I'll be perfectly honest and sincere. She could have a truly wonderful mind, a great personality, funny, witty, playful, curious, intelligent, well read, articulate, morally and ethically consistent and decent, and physically appealing. My perfect soul mate. We could end up being best, closest friends for life.

But frankly, in all probability, the disability would be too much for me to engage in a deeper, intimate relationship. Sorry if anyone thinks that's a shallow attitude to take, I have pondered the question deeply previously. My dad ended up in a wheelchair after his last major stroke, (complications, had to have his right leg amputated above the knee). I had to give up work to be his full time carer. Me, personally, I couldn't handle an intimate relationship with someone who was non-able bodied. Least I'm upfront and candid about it.
Original post by 303Pharma
I'll be perfectly honest and sincere. She could have a truly wonderful mind, a great personality, funny, witty, playful, curious, intelligent, well read, articulate, morally and ethically consistent and decent, and physically appealing. My perfect soul mate. We could end up being best, closest friends for life.

But frankly, in all probability, the disability would be too much for me to engage in a deeper, intimate relationship. Sorry if anyone thinks that's a shallow attitude to take, I have pondered the question deeply previously. My dad ended up in a wheelchair after his last major stroke, (complications, had to have his right leg amputated above the knee). I had to give up work to be his full time carer. Me, personally, I couldn't handle an intimate relationship with someone who was non-able bodied. Least I'm upfront and candid about it.

I'm fine with it if people are, like on this forum, up front and get straight to the point with it.
Is there anything a disabled person could do to, well..., make up for being disabled?
Is there anything a disabled person could do to, well..., make up for being disabled?

You really shouldn't say that disabled people don't have to do anything to make up for being disabled, the only thing you should is just be happy the way you are that's it.
You really shouldn't say that disabled people don't have to do anything to make up for being disabled, the only thing you should is just be happy the way you are that's it.

but looking through all the replies on this thread, it seems that we need to do something more than be ourselves for people to find us attractive? I was just wondering what I would need to do?
but looking through all the replies on this thread, it seems that we need to do something more than be ourselves for people to find us attractive? I was just wondering what I would need to do?

The thing you would have to do is make yourself no longer be disabled... which is impossible I'm guessing. So no there's nothing you can do.

bump
bump
bump

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending