The Student Room Group

Do medical students have to dissect real human bodies?

I do not want to study medicine but I have heard that medical students have to dissect REAL human bodies and I was like WTF? I always thought medical students would do dissection with human mannequins not actual real human beings, that's just ****ing gross and really creepy
Original post by The RAR
I do not want to study medicine but I have heard that medical students have to dissect REAL human bodies and I was like WTF? I always thought medical students would do dissection with human mannequins not actual real human beings, that's just ****ing gross and really creepy

if you think about it you would not learn much from cutting up a dummy ?

:dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by The RAR

1) very few medical schools are able to facilitate this
2) why do you think it's creepy?
Original post by xylas
2) why do you think it's creepy?

and here we have tsr's resident sociopath!

Spoiler

some people wish to donate their body to science after they pass. also there are some unclaimed bodies which are also used. its not gross, youre learning from it. i think its cool to dissect real human material (not a weirdo).
my old biology teacher did when they were at uni
Original post by The RAR

Not all medical schools do full cadaveric dissection nowadays. Some use prosection (basically the dissection is already done for you) whilst others use models/simulations.

At any rate it's not creepy or gross - this isn't the 14th century. It's scientific education; we can't learn human anatomy by dissecting frogs.

It's all regulated by the Human Tissue Authority and there's sometimes a memorial service which students attend at the end of the module to commemorate those who donated their bodies.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
I'm a medical student, we use prosection but to be honest I would have loved to have done full body dissection. I actually find it quite fun and really informative to actually see where things are in a real body and not a 2D diagram :smile:
Reply 8
Bring back the bodysnatchers.
One of the courses I’ve been offered a place on (human biology) you get the opportunity to go and watch a post-mortem. I think it’s massively interesting and if I ever had the chance to dissect human tissue, then I definitely would.
Reply 10
Original post by The RAR

Well, dealing with dead bodies is one part of doctors job. You never know what you gonna see when ure called. How else would they learn haha? I wouldn't even trust a doctor to do my surgery knowing that they've never cut human body before :biggrin:
Asking in the Medicine forum would've been a better start.:wink:

Thread moved.
That's like asking whether doctors do surgery on real humans!

Yes, of course.
Yes but its only a small part of medicine. No one is forcing you to become a pathologist. :wink:
Reply 14
Original post by num.7
and here we have tsr's resident sociopath!

You ain't the first one on here to say that :colondollar: But I never got called a sociopath for asking a question!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending