The Student Room Group

UCL ECON & STATS vs WARWICK MORSE

I have offers from UCL to do Econ and Stats and MORSE at Warwick (both at AAA), at first I was headset on Warwick however now I'm thinking of how internationally recognised UCL and how this influences employability etc. Also most people don't even know what MORSE is, is it just a collection of subjects which employers don't even value?!? Does one degree have more prestige over the other? (I want to go into finance, IB, constulancy, analysis etc ?!?! Another thing is that UCL is so expensive and Warwick might be better in terms of uni being an 'investment in my education...'

Does employability really differ between the two unis? Which one is deemed more rigorous??!

Also I've heard bad things about Warwick nightlife that it's really boring because it's so far from everything and that UCL obviously in comparison would have a better social life. However, I question this because London is so big (everyone is so busy and there isn't even a campus etc...) ?!

A leve Predictions: A* A* A (Maths, Econ, Further maths) + A DipLibf + AEA dist
*also waiting on LSE but I don't think I have an offer

Clearly I'm confused so any input would be appreciated :smile:)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Shreeyathakrar12
I have offers from UCL to do Econ and Stats and MORSE at Warwick (both at AAA), at first I was headset on Warwick however now I'm thinking of how internationally recognised UCL and how this influences employability etc. Also most people don't even know what MORSE is, is it just a collection of subjects which employers don't even value?!? Does one degree have more prestige over the other? (I want to go into finance, IB, constulancy, analysis etc ?!?! Another thing is that UCL is so expensive and Warwick might be better in terms of uni being an 'investment in my education...'

Does employability really differ between the two unis? Which one is deemed more rigorous??!

Also I've heard bad things about Warwick nightlife that it's really boring because it's so far from everything and that UCL obviously in comparison would have a better social life. However, I question this because London is so big (everyone is so busy and there isn't even a campus etc...) ?!

I'm not an expert on this but for what its worth MORSE is very well known among the employers who look for maths/ economics graduates. Much less so for the public at large - but its the major employers that matter for you.

Have you looked through threads on here for reports by current students. From recollection MORSE gets great reviews, there were some pretty mixed reviews about Economics and Stats at UCL.

Would you have a chance to visit each and try to 'grab' some students to ask them. Oh, and since you are looking to study economics, have you made a costing for each option? My guess would be that London is hugely more expensive for the same living standard.
Warwick is reasonably well known internationally, besides the fact it's a moot point if you don't have a clear idea of yourself working in another country - unless you have some tangible link you plan to exploit it's just an arbitrary metric which need not be applied. As far as the US goes, UCL and Warwick are both acceptable, specifically "good but not Oxbridge" which is all they will really see in this case.

In terms of the courses, MORSE has some additional breadth in the OR elements and possibly more flexibility in maths options. It's also likely to have a more business/finance orientation, compared to a broader economic approach on the UCL course. At UCL the stats course are administered through a Statistics department separate to the Mathematics department, so this may add or detract from the course depending on your perspective.

I'd note the MORSE course is very well established, and as with e.g. Oxfords flagship PPE course, has spawned numerous imitators over the years. It's very well regarded academically (I seem to recall JBS commenting on it being better preparation for their academic programmes than the run of the mill business/management courses) certainly, and there's no reason to suggest it would be considered more poorly than an ostensibly similar course at UCL in the professional realm. However I've heard mixed opinions about the Economics department at UCL, at least academically...

At the end of the day, both courses are very good and neither will disadvantage you in employment. The choice is motivated by a) the nature of the course (are you in interested in the broader macroeconomic and policy side of things at UCL, or on more detailed analysis of finance, business, and operations at Warwick) and b) the location/lifestyle aspects of the two universities. Remember though that while it's important to choose the location that will make you happiest so you can focus on your studies and do well in them, you aren't going to university to get drunk on the regular...or if you are, you may want to consider taking a gap year (or few) to experience that and then approach your studies with more focus later.
If I were you I’d go for Economics at UCL.. you’ll get into investment banking easily providing you get good grades
Reply 4
In the same position think imma end up firming warwick
Aahhhh nice! how did you end up making that choice ?
Original post by claudiorafael
If I were you I’d go for Economics at UCL.. you’ll get into investment banking easily providing you get good grades

that is total bs you can go camrbidge doesnt mean you can easily go into ib
Original post by Shreeyathakrar12

ucl i would say, i have offers from both and eco and stats is easier than morse, morse can get really hard and the employer doesnt really care all hes gonna see is ucl or warwick and that you didnt something mathematical or economics related
Original post by navboy317
that is total bs you can go camrbidge doesnt mean you can easily go into ib

The only bs here is you, I am absolutely convinced that if you graduate from a target university with good grades you will get your chance at an IB internship to prove yourself
Original post by claudiorafael
The only bs here is you, I am absolutely convinced that if you graduate from a target university with good grades you will get your chance at an IB internship to prove yourself

listen you are clearly a rookie, jus stop talking rubbish, yes you will get a chance but it doesnt mean that you will defo get into ib
Reply 10
If you're looking for a challenge or if you want to keep your options open, pick MORSE. The first year is similar to UCL Econ and Stats yet more demanding in the maths modules and as you go down the years you can see that MORSE has a wide variety of modules to choose from. There's plenty of maths/stats/econ/finance/business school modules available to you so you can easily tailor your degree according to your career/academic goals. UCL Econ and Stats has limited flexibility. It's worth going through the handbooks for both degrees to see which interests you more.

On another note, there's no need to be worried about its reputation. Warwick is a target and there are many MORSE grads in investment banking (you can check on linkedin). Warwick in general is highly regarded by employers and your degree title wouldn't mean much unless you want to work at a very quanty bank/desk.

In terms of nightlife, it's average but it obviously can't compare to London. If it's really important to you then UCL is the better option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending