x= Sin inverse x
Therefore Sin x = x
Same for cos i.e Cos x = x
Squaring both equations and adding them, sin^2(x) + Cos ^2(x)= x^2 + x ^2
2x^2 = 1
x= +or - √0.5
The textbook answer is (1/2)pi
I have no idea where the pi come from

No that's not allowed. Firstly, if you're going to assign variables, you want to choose one that isn't being used! So say y=arcsinxy=\arcsin x instead of x=arcsinxx= \arcsin x.

Anyway, the correct way to approach this would be to start with the above and say that x=sinyx=\sin y Then note that siny=cos(π2y)\sin y = \cos (\frac{\pi}{2}-y) which means that x=cos(π2y)x=\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-y) which hence yields us the value of arccosx\arccos x. Then it is clear where the answer comes from.
Reply 3
Original post by Bilbao
Need to simplify
Sine inverse (x) +Cos inverse (x)
This is what i did,

x= Sin inverse x
Therefore Sin x = x
Same for cos i.e Cos x = x
Squaring both equations and adding them, sin^2(x) + Cos ^2(x)= x^2 + x ^2
2x^2 = 1
x= +or - √0.5
The textbook answer is (1/2)pi
I have no idea where the pi come from

Original post by RDKGames
No that's not allowed. Firstly, if you're going to assign variables, you want to choose one that isn't being used! So say y=arcsinxy=\arcsin x instead of x=arcsinxx= \arcsin x.

Anyway, the correct way to approach this would be to start with the above and say that x=sinyx=\sin y Then note that siny=cos(π2y)\sin y = \cos (\frac{\pi}{2}-y) which means that x=cos(π2y)x=\cos(\frac{\pi}{2}-y) which hence yields us the value of arccosx\arccos x. Then it is clear where the answer comes from.

As RDKGames said, you cannot chose a variable that is already used before. Another approach to it would be to derivate
arccosx+arcsinx\arccos x+\arcsin x. Then you'll notice that that function is actually constant, so you can pick one particular value to evaluate it.
Reply 4

Sin A = x
A= arcsin x
Sin A = Cos ( 90° - A)
Therefore Cos ( 90° - A) = x
Cos inverse x = 90° - A
Replacing all values in the original eqn,
A + ( 90° - A) = 1/2 pi
Great all good but i tried the other way around where Cos A = Sin ( 90° + A) but this does not give the same answer as above

Cos A = x
A= cos inverse x
Arcsin x = 90° + A
90° + A + A = 1/2 pi +2 A
Original post by Bilbao
Sin A = x
A= arcsin x
Sin A = Cos ( 90° - A)
Cos inverse x = 90° - A
A + ( 90° - A) = 1/2 pi
Great all good but i tried the other way around where Cos A = Sin ( 90° + A) but this does not give the same answer as above

Cos A = x
A= cos inverse x
Arcsin x = 90° + A

Note that you're working with inverse functions here, which are not periodic unlike cosA\cos A and sinB\sin B. So, we need to restrict the domains of sinB\sin B and cosA\cos A to π2Bπ2-\frac{\pi}{2} \leq B \leq \frac{\pi}{2} and 0Aπ0 \leq A \leq \pi in order to take inverses.

Applying this to your idea, we have cosA=x\cos A =x, and you then say that cosA=sin(π2+A)\cos A = \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}+A) where B=π2+AB=\frac{\pi}{2}+A which fine as an identity when AA,BB are unrestricted, but note here that this is not an identity when 0Aπ0 \leq A \leq \pi as then BB is not bounded between π2-\frac{\pi}{2} and π2\frac{\pi}{2} like we agreed. (i.e. when A=π2A=\frac{\pi}{2} then B=πB=\pi which is outside our agreed interval)

Alternatively, if you say that cosA=x\cos A = x then cosA=sin(π2A)\cos A = \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}-A), we get that B=π2AB=\frac{\pi}{2}-A and indeed π2Bπ2-\frac{\pi}{2} \leq B \leq \frac{\pi}{2} for all allowed A.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bilbao
Sin A = x
A= arcsin x
Sin A = Cos ( 90° - A)
Cos inverse x = 90° - A
A + ( 90° - A) = 1/2 pi

Cos A = x
A= cos inverse x
Arcsin x = 90° + A

To add onto RDK, ditch degrees. It's very hard to follow when you flip between writing 9090^\circ and π/2\pi/2.
Reply 7
Note that you're working with inverse functions here, which are not periodic unlike cosA\cos A and sinB\sin B. So, we need to restrict the domains of sinB\sin B and cosA\cos A to π2Bπ2-\frac{\pi}{2} \leq B \leq \frac{\pi}{2} and 0Aπ0 \leq A \leq \pi in order to take inverses.

Applying this to your idea, we have cosA=x\cos A =x, and you then say that cosA=sin(π2+A)\cos A = \sin (\frac{\pi}{2}+A) where B=π2+AB=\frac{\pi}{2}+A which fine as an identity when AA,BB are unrestricted, but note here that this is not an identity when 0Aπ0 \leq A \leq \pi as then BB is not bounded between π2-\frac{\pi}{2} and π2\frac{\pi}{2} like we agreed. (i.e. when A=π2A=\frac{\pi}{2} then B=πB=\pi which is outside our agreed interval)

Alternatively, if you say that cosA=x\cos A = x then cosA=sin(Aπ2)\cos A = \sin (A-\frac{\pi}{2}), we get that B=Aπ2B=A-\frac{\pi}{2} and indeed π2Bπ2-\frac{\pi}{2} \leq B \leq \frac{\pi}{2} for all allowed A.

Hmm i tried to draw Sin ( A - 90°) and it does not match Cos x where 0 < x < 180 ° for cos inverse (x) to exist.
However Sin(90° - A) does match Cos X
where x is within the inverse's range.
Well im aware that if the sign changes it does equal one another
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bilbao
Hmm i tried to draw Sin ( A - 90°) and it does not match Cos x where 0 < x < 180 ° for cos inverse (x) to exist.
However Sin(90° - A) does match Cos X
where x is within the inverse's range.
Well im aware that if the sign changes it does equal one another

Yes, I've meant to write 90-A instead.

Quick Reply

Latest