The Student Room Group

Im finding first year too easy

I am finding first year way too easy ive been getting 85%+ in all my exams and while i do put a lot of work in i just feel that its maybe luck. How is second year ? Im currently studying at DMU, what can i expect from second year ?
Reply 1
What course
Reply 2
Original post by ajayma
What course

Computer Science
It can never be too easy. Don't underestimate stuff.
Probably because it's an a soft uni.
Original post by Yazdan_raidan
I am finding first year way too easy ive been getting 85%+ in all my exams and while i do put a lot of work in i just feel that its maybe luck. How is second year ? Im currently studying at DMU, what can i expect from second year ?

I have never been to DMU, so I don't know how rigorous the course is I'm afraid.

1st Year is almost always the easiest year, relatively speaking. It's never too early to start thinking about your dissertation in your final year. If you find you have free time, you should start working on that. Do some research, figure out what would/would not potentially interest you as a final year project.
The course content looks quite basic, try giving the courses at King's or UCL a try. :'(

go to a better uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm a 2nd year student doing CompSci at DMU.Keep up the hard work and start teaching yourself outside of the course to prepare you for the 2nd year.Learning TCP/IP, Java, Data structures, Databases, and PHP will give you a head start,
Reply 9
That's because it's not a great university. I think you could benefit if you consider applying to transfer to a uni that better suits your abilities. Something in the Russell Group perhaps.
Reply 10

A better university would help if you want to be challenged.

For most universities, first year is the easiest because it's used to get everyone from all the different backgrounds on the same page. So they may cover basic topics to make sure that people who did A levels with no computer science know what they're doing also.

But the ranking of the university also has something to do with it. Because if it's low ranking, it takes lower grades, as such the students they get are lower level is the course is simpler and lower level to accommodate that
First year is designed to get everyone on a level playing field for concepts to come. It also establishes behaviours for study.

As an amateur programmer I find that some people just get it and others have to work a bit harder.
Original post by Devify
A better university would help if you want to be challenged.

For most universities, first year is the easiest because it's used to get everyone from all the different backgrounds on the same page. So they may cover basic topics to make sure that people who did A levels with no computer science know what they're doing also.

But the ranking of the university also has something to do with it. Because if it's low ranking, it takes lower grades, as such the students they get are lower level is the course is simpler and lower level to accommodate that

I get what you are saying, but there is also another factor I think: Academic courses vs vocational courses.

Some unis focus on the theory on CS, with the view that it will prepare students for further, postgraduate study. This can require a good understanding of mathematics and engineering, so those universities will have higher academic requirements.

Other universities focus on getting students ready to go in to work straight after uni. It's fair to say that for most software/network/cloud/dev ops/security engineering jobs you don't need to have a heavy math background (it doesn't hurt of course). Some universities (e.g. Napier) have a very strong rep for getting people in to jobs quickly after uni, and their courses reflect what you will be doing on a day to day basis as a professional. One of the biggest gripes employers have about CS courses in universities is that often they don't reflect the skills they need. Some universities try and have CS programs that are a better fit with industry. You don't really necessarily need high A-Level marks for courses like this.
Lots of students across the board find the first year of uni easy compared with the jump from GCSEs to A Levels. Keep working hard, putting in the effort, and your grades throughout your years at uni will reflect this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending