The Student Room Group

Lowest Grade You Got at Uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lily048
You know the lecturers f’ed up when everyone’s failing/doing bad, makes you feel a bit better about yourself 😂

Possibly, it was a Research Methods module to prepare us our our dissertation in third year. Quite a bit different to the rest of our modules and a fair number of people left it to the last minute due to the "difficulty" of the assignment (one person I know started it the day before the deadline). The only reason I didn't get higher was because I messed up one section that negatively affected my methodology and analysis.
Lowest grade on my undergrad was a borderline third for one module in second year.
I got a 2:1 overall.
Reply 22
Original post by princessmaire80
Lowest grade on my undergrad was a borderline third for one module in second year.
I got a 2:1 overall.

How well did you do across all the other modules In second year, as in what did you eventually come out with?
FairPlay did bringing your grade up! Was it difficult to or was it even 2:1s across the board?
Reply 23
Don’t worry - id say it’s pretty average to get a low grade at some point in first year because you’re just getting used to things. As long as you learn from mistakes and bring it up across the other modules you’ll be fine! Plus first year rarely counts towards your degree
Reply 24
Original post by Salostar
Possibly, it was a Research Methods module to prepare us our our dissertation in third year. Quite a bit different to the rest of our modules and a fair number of people left it to the last minute due to the "difficulty" of the assignment (one person I know started it the day before the deadline). The only reason I didn't get higher was because I messed up one section that negatively affected my methodology and analysis.

I never knew they could prep people that early for dissertations, but to grade people on it seems unfair! I didn’t start prep till the middle of the summer before third year
Reply 25
Fair play to you! Wish I was that carefree haha
Original post by Lily048
How well did you do across all the other modules In second year, as in what did you eventually come out with?
FairPlay did bringing your grade up! Was it difficult to or was it even 2:1s across the board?

It was just one module that I struggled really badly on. It was a horrible module and I know I wasn’t alone in getting terrible marks! I had straight 2:1’s across my other module in year 2, and in year 3 I had straight 2:1’s in one module and a borderline first in the other hence I ended up with a middle 2:1.
I studied with the Open University and did 2 60-credit modules in both years 2 and 3.
Reply 27
You just said it didn’t bother you getting a low grade, it would have certainly stressed me out lol
Reply 28
I think I got a 52 in a metaphysics essay in my first year.
Reply 29
Original post by gjd800
I think I got a 52 in a metaphysics essay in my first year.

That’s not too bad - low 2:2 I think? I feel like everyone experienced that moment of seeing a 2:2 in first year and thinking now they’ve gotta try harder haha, I certainly did!
Reply 30
Original post by Lily048
That’s not too bad - low 2:2 I think? I feel like everyone experienced that moment of seeing a 2:2 in first year and thinking now they’ve gotta try harder haha, I certainly did!

Yeah I wasn't that arsed, it was the only 2:2 I ever got and I bumped it up come the exam anyway. It was because I tried to be a smart arse in the essay and write about something the lecturer didn't know about. Didn't work!
A 1st (scraped) in a 10 credit pure maths exam, but I've only been here one and a half semesters. I got 91/130 all together, so there was no scaling up or down.
59% on a history exam in first year, luckily it doesn't count towards my degree classification BUT it is awful to look at on my transcript
Original post by Salostar

Those modules are always the hardest! But are also completely possible to improve on.

My lowest grade was 31 for a data handling exam in first year :frown: The questions were really random so I ended up just guessing. Plus some were negatively marked. I still passed the module thanks to the coursework. I had an arguably harder exam building on this module in second year. I worked harder and got 69 in that one. If I had more time I'm sure I would have been able to get one more mark!

The lowest mark I've ever got in an assignment is 50, also in first year. I basically did it wrong! Luckily I've never got a third or below in coursework.
Reply 34
Original post by QuestionQuest
Those modules are always the hardest! But are also completely possible to improve on.

My lowest grade was 31 for a data handling exam in first year :frown: The questions were really random so I ended up just guessing. Plus some were negatively marked. I still passed the module thanks to the coursework. I had an arguably harder exam building on this module in second year. I worked harder and got 69 in that one. If I had more time I'm sure I would have been able to get one more mark!

The lowest mark I've ever got in an assignment is 50, also in first year. I basically did it wrong! Luckily I've never got a third or below in coursework.

People are worrying me now the way they’re talking about transcripts and stuff, I got a third in first year piece of coursework (I just mistook the question completely) but it was first year in a 20 credit module - my first year doesn’t count towards my degree but then again most peoples don’t. Is it really that awful? I still got a mid/high 2:1 in second year and didn’t get anything lower than a high 2:2 in second year either?
Lowest mark so far is a 53 in my French oral exam (which I honestly thought would be lower :tongue:)
That will probs change tho bc we have another one at the end of the semester and its much harder :eek4:
Original post by Lily048
People are worrying me now the way they’re talking about transcripts and stuff, I got a third in first year piece of coursework (I just mistook the question completely) but it was first year in a 20 credit module - my first year doesn’t count towards my degree but then again most peoples don’t. Is it really that awful? I still got a mid/high 2:1 in second year and didn’t get anything lower than a high 2:2 in second year either?

If it's first year it's okay to have the odd bad grade. It's the learning year so it's almost expected.
It's not held me back. I got a mid 2:1 in second year and now am on track for a high 2:1/1st in my third. I've still got offers for MScs from high ranking unis. I flopped one of my A levels (probably should have resat) so only go to a low ranking one and the couple of poor grades have still been overlooked. I can only see it holding you back if it's law.
Reply 37
Original post by QuestionQuest
If it's first year it's okay to have the odd bad grade. It's the learning year so it's almost expected.
It's not held me back. I got a mid 2:1 in second year and now am on track for a high 2:1/1st in my third. I've still got offers for MScs from high ranking unis. I flopped one of my A levels (probably should have resat) so only go to a low ranking one and the couple of poor grades have still been overlooked. I can only see it holding you back if it's law.

Okay, I’m doing a social science degree so I take it it doesn’t matter so much? I’ve pretty much been a consistent student with my grades since GCSE - 12 A*-B, all B’s at AS and A Level and mid to high 2:1s every year so far at university, so I take it that can’t be looked on as too bad?
For one of my modules I got 39% in one of my exams but luckily I got 75% in my other exam so I passed with 57% overall
Original post by Lily048
Okay, I’m doing a social science degree so I take it it doesn’t matter so much? I’ve pretty much been a consistent student with my grades since GCSE - 12 A*-B, all B’s at AS and A Level and mid to high 2:1s every year so far at university, so I take it that can’t be looked on as too bad?

My grades were very inconsistent until the second year of uni. It won't look bad for you at all. It arguably works in your favour as it shows ability to improve.

Quick Reply

Latest