The Student Room Group

Algebra - Are my answers correct? Part 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths_English

Last one wrong I think
You are looking for area so it is 5x + 2 times 5x+2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Last one wrong I think

Yeah I think so as well, I don't know what it is asking me to do exactly as I haven't covered Area or anything.
Yeah I think so as well, I don't know what it is asking me to do exactly as I haven't covered Area or anything.

Oh come on you must have done area. You do it in junior school. A room has length of 4m x 3 m. How many square metres of carpet do I need.....
Oh come on you must have done area. You do it in junior school. A room has length of 4m x 3 m. How many square metres of carpet do I need.....

Not everyone has a good education squirrel especially when you faced constant discrimination, violence by peers and teachers alike due to disabilities.

How do I do this question?

Not everyone has a good education squirrel especially when you faced constant discrimination, violence by peers and teachers alike due to disabilities.

How do I do this question?

But to do factorising you must have done basic area - it is one of the first lessons you learn in maths - factorising is quite difficult - loads of teenagers have a real problem with algebra.

Anyway you got the correct answer - 12

SO the garden is square - which indicates all the same size - so the answer if you follow the logic of the carpet - area is (5x+2) (5x+2) = 25x +10x+10x + 4 etc
But to do factorising you must have done basic area - it is one of the first lessons you learn in maths - factorising is quite difficult - loads of teenagers have a real problem with algebra.

Anyway you got the correct answer - 12

SO the garden is square - which indicates all the same size - so the answer if you follow the logic of the carpet - area is (5x+2) (5x+2) = 25x +10x+10x + 4 etc

How did you get 5x + 2 into brackets then added another one?

You have done (5x + 2)2 then expanded it and that which I do get but how did the question tell you to do (5x + 2)2 in the first place?
bump
How did you get 5x + 2 into brackets then added another one?

You have done (5x + 2)2 then expanded it and that which I do get but how did the question tell you to do (5x + 2)2 in the first place?

All right - look - you have a square - it is 8 cm by 8 cm. The area is 8 x 8 = 64. Just do the same with this garden question
All right - look - you have a square - it is 8 cm by 8 cm. The area is 8 x 8 = 64. Just do the same with this garden question

so 5x + 2 represents 2 sides? Then the other one represents the other 2 sides so together it makes a square? Hence (5x + 2)^2?
so 5x + 2 represents 2 sides? Then the other one represents the other 2 sides so together it makes a square? Hence (5x + 2)^2?

(5x + 2)2 is right for the area.

now you need to remove the brackets.
Original post by the bear
(5x + 2)2 is right for the area.

now you need to remove the brackets.

Is my trail of logic right though? 5x + 2 = 2 sides?
Is my trail of logic right though? 5x + 2 = 2 sides?

if a square has an edge W then the area is W*W or W2
if a square has an edge W then the area is W*W or W2

What?

I'm asking if 5x + 2 represents |_ and the other 5x + 2 represents --| to make a square?
What?

I'm asking if 5x + 2 represents |_ and the other 5x + 2 represents --| to make a square?

so the square in question has 4 sides. each side is 5x + 2.

if you need the perimeter you add them up to get 20x + 8.

if you need the area you multiply ... ( 5x + 2 )( 5x + 2 ) or if you prefer ( 5x + 2 )2
What?

Not sure what you're asking... The 5x+25x+2 represents the length of a single side of the square.
so the square in question has 4 sides. each side is 5x + 2.

if you need the perimeter you add them up to get 20x + 8.

if you need the area you multiply ... ( 5x + 2 )( 5x + 2 ) or if you prefer ( 5x + 2 )2

Original post by RDKGames
Not sure what you're asking... The 5x+25x+2 represents the length of a single side of the square.

Ok so why isn't it (5x + 2)^4 if the 5x + 2 represents only 1 side? It'd make sense if that 5x + 2 represented 2 sides.
Ok so why isn't it (5x + 2)^4 if the 5x + 2 represents only 1 side? It'd make sense if that 5x + 2 represented 2 sides.

That is not how area is calculated. Area has units like cm2\mathrm{cm^2} which means that you multiply a length by some other length (hence length squared like cm squared). If you were to multiply length by itself 4 times, like (5x+2)4(5x+2)^4, then you would end up with something different that is cm4\mathrm{cm^4}.

Anyway, the area of a square (or just any rectangle in general) is calculated by multiplying the length of the shape by its width.
(edited 6 years ago)

for a rectangle you multiply the long side by the short side.

for a square the long side and the short side are the same length.

Quick Reply

Latest