The Student Room Group

Should I lose body fat?

I hope I've posted this in the right place...

So firstly, I'm 17 y/o and I would say that I've always been slightly chubby and slightly plump. I have a height of 150.5cm (very short :tongue:) and a weight of 56.8kg. I've used a BMI calculator (not very accurate, I know) and those have said that I have a 'normal' weight for my height but I've done my research and I've found for my ethnicity, that weight is actually overweight for me.

What should I do?

I've tried exercising but maybe because I'm lazy or maybe because I'm just not cut out for it but it hasn't stuck and a lot of the time, I just don't find the time to do it. It also doesn't help that I have PCOD, which makes losing weight all the more difficult. There isn't a gym anywhere near my house and frankly, I don't think I have the money to go anyway.

I've tried making changes to my diet but my mum cooks most of the time and she cooks A LOT. She's also very much addicted to her junk food and our junk food pile seems to grow all the time (much like my waistline).

I'm scared, I don't know what to do. I've talked to my parents but they've not really cared so what should I do?

- BlueBlessing x
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's all in self control. Everything is fine , but in moderation. Your weight seems fine , you just need to start some kind of physical exercise , need not be gym. Could be stuff like jogs or zumba or salsa. basically stuff that includes high intensity movement and stuff that you enjoy. if you do enjoy dancing , Salsa is a great workout.
Original post by abhinair3004
It's all in self control. Everything is fine , but in moderation. Your weight seems fine , you just need to start some kind of physical exercise , need not be gym. Could be stuff like jogs or zumba or salsa. basically stuff that includes high intensity movement and stuff that you enjoy. if you do enjoy dancing , Salsa is a great workout.

Hi, thanks for replying.
I do walk quite regularly but otherwise, I don't really move around much. I guess YouTube videos would be quite useful for zumba and salsa?
So I need to just do it regularly?
Original post by BlueBlessing
Hi, thanks for replying.
I do walk quite regularly but otherwise, I don't really move around much. I guess YouTube videos would be quite useful for zumba and salsa?
So I need to just do it regularly?

Yea , your body needs to get used to the routine. Everything works if it's done in a routinely fashion. Reducing carbs is a good technique of losing weight as well.
Original post by abhinair3004
Yea , your body needs to get used to the routine. Everything works if it's done in a routinely fashion. Reducing carbs is a good technique of losing weight as well.

Okay. Should I also try muscle-building exercises like press-ups, squats, etc.? Would those help me to lose weight as well or will they just make me gain weight because of muscle mass?
walking is fine. if you walk 20 minutes a day that is plenty of exercise for a normal youngster.
Should you lose weight? No.

Should you lose body-fat? Possibly, yes.

Muscle weighs more than fat. You can get healthier, fitter, more toned and less fat, while the number on the scales increases. You can lose weight, while getting fatter.

Losing weight =/= losing body-fat.
Original post by the bear
walking is fine. if you walk 20 minutes a day that is plenty of exercise for a normal youngster.

Thanks for replying :smile:
Okay. Brisk walking, yeah?

Original post by 303Pharma
Should you lose weight? No.

Should you lose body-fat? Possibly, yes.

Muscle weighs more than fat. You can get healthier, fitter, more toned and less fat, while the number on the scales increases. You can lose weight, while getting fatter.

Losing weight =/= losing body-fat.

I hadn't thought about it like that. Thanks for clarifying.
Okay. Brisk walking, yeah?

just like basic walking ?
just like basic walking ?

erm... walking at a faster pace than just a casual stroll?
erm... walking at a faster pace than just a casual stroll?

just like normal everyday walking ?
just like normal everyday walking ?

I guess? I walk pretty fast (for a short person with short legs) in my day-to-day life anyway.
I guess? I walk pretty fast (for a short person with short legs) in my day-to-day life anyway.

as long as you do 20 minutes then it's all good. you could try a few minutes of walking backwards to mix it up a bit :dontknow:
as long as you do 20 minutes then it's all good. you could try a few minutes of walking backwards to mix it up a bit :dontknow:

Oh okay. Continuous walking for 20 minutes? Or just 20 minutes in total?
Also, is 20 minutes like a requirement? Like, can I not walk less if I'm having a bad day or something?
Oh so in other words, I will look more toned if I lose body fat and gain some muscle instead?
Yeah, I thinking about saying 'muscle weighs more than fat, per unit volume', ie is denser, but didn't want overly complicate matters as it's kinda implied anyway. But, yeah, s'pose I ought to have been clearer.
Oh so in other words, I will look more toned if I lose body fat and gain some muscle instead?

Absolutely...

Spoiler

Original post by 303Pharma
Absolutely...

Spoiler

Okay :biggrin:

Spoiler

Oh okay. Continuous walking for 20 minutes? Or just 20 minutes in total?
Also, is 20 minutes like a requirement? Like, can I not walk less if I'm having a bad day or something?

just as a rough target. your time begins.... NOW
ugh ive been this situation as well it’s difficult to eat healthy when your parents cook things that are unhealthy. Umm for now, make you could try going for runs and get a exercise mat and search up some exercise videos at home. I think your weight is fine at the moment but obviously if you want to lose weight you can. Maybe you could try cooking for yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest