The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
I am not exactly sure. It could be university stress, or just the feel of loneliness, or just a phase but I am not liking it here at all. I am originally from London, yes. I have lived there my whole life up until uni. I think it's our culture I hate. Generally I feel like we are very unfriendly and cold.

Where do you attend uni? I agree that some people feel lonely. Maybe it is because you are new to uni and it is a different place. Just don't make quick decisions.
Original post by Wired_1800
Where do you attend uni? I agree that some people feel lonely. Maybe it is because you are new to uni and it is a different place. Just don't make quick decisions.

I don't want to say it on here lol. It's not that, i've been here for almost two years. I am finishing up my second year soon. Yeah, true. I won't make immediate decisions.
I don't want to say it on here lol. It's not that, i've been here for almost two years. I am finishing up my second year soon. Yeah, true. I won't make immediate decisions.

I got your PM, thanks. I understand your frustrations but I want to advice you to stick it out for one more year then you can go back to lovely London.

Many students who went to different places for uni do sadly feel lost in that world. So they stick it out for the period and return to London or Manchester or where they are from.

For the argument about dating, as a young black woman, do you have a preference in guys i.e. black, Jewish/Christian, tall/short, athletic/not etc.?

The reason why I ask is because your uni location may not have sufficient number of your “type” of guys that would probably be the reason why you are annoyed about the dating world.
I got your PM, thanks. I understand your frustrations but I want to advice you to stick it out for one more year then you can go back to lovely London.

Many students who went to different places for uni do sadly feel lost in that world. So they stick it out for the period and return to London or Manchester or where they are from.

For the argument about dating, as a young black woman, do you have a preference in guys i.e. black, Jewish/Christian, tall/short, athletic/not etc.?

The reason why I ask is because your uni location may not have sufficient number of your “type” of guys that would probably be the reason why you are annoyed about the dating world.

London hasn't been that great to me either. I want to try to explore London for the summer and have fun, because I would be probably working full time during my year gap.

I don't really have a "type" as in race. As long as we are compatible, it's fine. There are lots of different types of guys at my uni. Obviously, white being the most..I still see black, Asian (east and south) etc. So that's definately not the problem.

I did meet one guy at uni, like I said before. He was black. Unfortunately he just wasn't that interested, LOL. The guy fit my type perfectly, lol.
(edited 6 years ago)
London hasn't been that great to me either. I want to try to explore London for the summer and have fun, because I would be probably working full time during my year gap.

I don't really have a "type" as in race. As long as we are compatible, it's fine. There are lots of different types of guys at my uni. Obviously, white being the most..I still see black, Asian (east and south) etc. So that's definately not the problem.

I did meet one guy at uni, like I said before. He was black. Unfortunately he just wasn't that interested, LOL. The guy fit my type perfectly, lol.

Okay. I suggest you do make the most of your summer.

It is good that you dont have a “type” which will enable you to appreciate the best from all backgrounds.

To the black guy comment, it is sad that some people dont click. It has nothing to do with you but probably the guy was too immature to take you seriously.
Okay. I suggest you do make the most of your summer.

It is good that you dont have a “type” which will enable you to appreciate the best from all backgrounds.

To the black guy comment, it is sad that some people dont click. It has nothing to do with you but probably the guy was too immature to take you seriously.

LOL. I will do. London is a bit more fun. But it's still not much better for meeting people. My uni city is so ridiculously boring, hate it here.
Yeah, I understand. Most guys my age are very immature.
You are annoying as hell.

dont quote me, pls. ever.

Aww, can the kid not take a joke? Frankly my dear, I'll quote who I like.
LOL. I will do. London is a bit more fun. But it's still not much better for meeting people. My uni city is so ridiculously boring, hate it here.
Yeah, I understand. Most guys my age are very immature.

London is one of the best places to live. You mentioned New York before, have you been there? Or are you just speculating? Some parts of New York are ridiculously boring as well, so you would need to be a bit more real.
London is one of the best places to live. You mentioned New York before, have you been there? Or are you just speculating? Some parts of New York are ridiculously boring as well, so you would need to be a bit more real.

No, I will go for a holiday first. I was just considering it. I am thinking of a few places to apply for grad jobs, but I would need to visit first. I really don't see myself in London in 10 years+ time at all, but we will see.
I would have considered new york- It's a metropolitan city like London so there would be a few similarities so it's would be too much of a culture shock. I kind of am. I just want to try a new environment I guess, Maybe travelling would seem like a good idea.

I am not exactly sure. It could be university stress, or just the feel of loneliness, or just a phase but I am not liking it here at all. I am originally from London, yes. I have lived there my whole life up until uni. I think it's our culture I hate. Generally I feel like we are very unfriendly and cold.

Originally? I thought you were black?
No, I will go for a holiday first. I was just considering it. I am thinking of a few places to apply for grad jobs, but I would need to visit first. I really don't see myself in London in 10 years+ time at all, but we will see.

Ok fair enough
Original post by cherryred90s
Originally? I thought you were black?

What? Are you trying to suggest that she is not from London because she is black?
What? Are you trying to suggest that she is not from London because she is black?

Not originally, no
Not originally, no

Are you originally from the UK?
Are you originally from the UK?

Wouldn’t say so. I was just born here
Wouldn’t say so. I was just born here

I think the issue of heritage and citizenship is a very stupid one. This is because there were no “original” people on these British Isles.
I think the issue of heritage and citizenship is a very stupid one. This is because there were no “original” people on these British Isles.

That may be true but since none of my family are natives of the UK, I just wouldn’t classify myself originally being from the UK because I’d just feel like I’m neglecting my roots. I’m not English but I would say that I’m British. Tbh, if someone were to ask me where I’m ‘originally’ from, that would translate to me as ‘why are you black?’
That may be true but since none of my family are natives of the UK, I just wouldn’t classify myself originally being from the UK because I’d just feel like I’m neglecting my roots. I’m not English but I would say that I’m British. Tbh, if someone were to ask me where I’m ‘originally’ from, that would translate to me as ‘why are you black?’

So you are black? Then where are you originally from?

The point that I was trying to make was that there are few or no native person from the UK. Your point had a xenophobic tone to it, hence my response.

But even the answer you give to that is unlikely to be where you were originally from. If the woman has lived in London all her life and feels that's where she's from, I don't see how that can be up for debate...
So you are black? Then where are you originally from?

The point that I was trying to make was that there are few or no native person from the UK. Your point had a xenophobic tone to it, hence my response.

Yeah I’m black, originally from Nigeria. I was born in London though.
I get your point but I’m far from xenophobic

Quick Reply

Latest