The Student Room Group

Student subjected to racist abuse at Nottingham Trent University

Scroll to see replies

They are usually brave on there own when it comes to lying about those that they attempt to intimidate. In a car, from a distance or when they are in a position of power.
Original post by merlynwoodman
Calling these british white people chavs makes it seem like you can somehow tell where the racists are. There's many of them, all around us and they only have the audacity to be racist in crowds. Cowards. Never would catch them get brave in a 1 on 1 situation.
Racists are all around us. They ard extremely educated and in positions of power. They will generally have little respect for others. They are the ones that when the become annoyed by a POC will throw out thd N word and then apologise. Firstly because it is against thd law and this is self preservation, not necessarily because they realise thdthe error of their ways.
Not as disturbing as the shoddy education they're also subjected to at NTU.
How about a zero tolerance policy for all harassment. Students shoukd vote with their feet. Students who stay in the accomodation are supporting a lax attitude .
Original post by PQ
Do you think NTU will review their relationship with UPP following this?

Do you think the delay and lack of response wouldn't have happened in a university-managed hall of residence?
Original post by edd522
These doors are not really sound-proof.:s-smilie:

I stayed in Sandby 2 years ago. Trust me if people were yelling you knew about it. Kept up many a night because of guys yelling everything under the sun at 2/3am, pointless, annoying and probably was offensive then too tbh
Original post by Lily048
I stayed in Sandby 2 years ago. Trust me if people were yelling you knew about it. Kept up many a night because of guys yelling everything under the sun at 2/3am, pointless, annoying and probably was offensive then too tbh

I stayed in halls like this too. You really appreciate paying such rents when you have drunken idiots yelling in the night with paper thin walls and doors.
Original post by edd522
I stayed in halls like this too. You really appreciate paying such rents when you have drunken idiots yelling in the night with paper thin walls and doors.

Tbf I had it in my student housing too - Student accommodation (house or halls) aren’t great, so glad I’m out of them now!
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
It's weird how more and more people seem to think like this now, there is a weird denial and justification going on that has the seeds of something quite dark- and it is quite often in previously pretty balanced, fair people, which makes it more concerning.

Actually, its becoming a lot less common. For you to appreciate this you needed to have lived in the UK during the 90s.
Original post by CookieButter
Actually, its becoming a lot less common. For you to appreciate this you needed to have lived in the UK during the 90s.

Yep and the 80’s before etc.
Original post by 999tigger
Bet the people involved didnt think it would turn out like this.

About to be nationally/ internationally famous, potentially expelled from university and barred from reapplying, plus a court case to look forward to.

It was only a bit of banter your honour :rolleyes:
This is a rare occurrence otherwise there would be a lot more examples of this on social media. Students are meant to be intelligent so reporting it to the correct authorities should have been straightforward. UPP deal with it too slowly, but had it been me then I would have been outraged and taken it to an advisor at the SU and the people at NTU. She had the presence of mind to record it, ut at the moment it looks like it was down to these two idiots.

The people concerned if its confirmed, will then be expelled, probably prevented from getting a uni education, be in the national press and have a criminal record. They deserve it all. Shows how dumb they are thinking they could get away with it. Bet they are rather worried at the moment.

I'm surprised other people didnt make a complaint. I know I would have and made sure the person was ok.
Original post by Good bloke
This appears to be yet another case where someone reported a crime to the wrong people. Why tell the university who do nothing for hours when the police service is right place to make the report (and who treat hate crime as a priority), preferably while the crime is still being committed?

It's the universities responsibility to provide support and to ensure the students feel safe at the uni and considering the amount of money we pay towards accommodation and uni fees we would expect some form of action being taken
Original post by Fruli
You come across as very emotive. Only stating what I can see, I'm not patronising you. I'm really sorry you have negative emotions, but I'd suggest you get a handle on them.

"welcome to Brexit Britain."- That was not me, That was another poster. A wise word to you would be to get your facts right before making false accusations.

Fair enough, it was another poster, my bad.

From your other comments you agree with the sentiments, though. Which is that Brexit has somehow facilitated attacks like this. That is total BS and any time anyone on here makes such a ridiculous claim I will call them out on it, as I did you.
In all fairness most chavs don't even make it to A level, racism unfortunately exists everywhere from Oxford to London Met...
Original post by AnimeCatsMemes
It's the universities responsibility to provide support and to ensure the students feel safe at the uni and considering the amount of money we pay towards accommodation and uni fees we would expect some form of action being taken

So you would report any crime being committed to the university, and expect action, would you?

Let's assume that the recent Russian spy case had taken place on university property. Can a university deal with a murder attempt? No.

If the girl had been physically attacked and left for dead would you have told the university and expected it to act? No.

Why, then., do you expect it to deal with an intimidatory assault?

By all means tell the university as well, afterwards, but when a crime is being committed tell the police in the first instance. This is precisely what they are for.
Original post by AnimeCatsMemes

It is, but in this case the accommodation people are a private partner and they didnt pass the complaint on to the university, so they knew nothing about it. It might be:

Person on receptions fault for incompetently or deliberately nt taking it seriously and that could be poor training or worse.

It could be the companies fault as to why they didnt action it or tell the uni.

It could be the unis fault for not having better communication systems in place between student and uni or uni to accommodation provider.

NTU are taking it very seriously hence they have suspended and doing an emergency investigation. Not much more they can do at the moment. They didnt find out till Wed evening when the incident happened on Monday and was reported Tuesday morning. They cant act on something they dont know about.
Original post by Good bloke
So you would report any crime being committed to the university, and expect action, would you?

Let's assume that the recent Russian spy case had taken place on university property. Can a university deal with a murder attempt? No.

If the girl had been physically attacked and left for dead would you have told the university and expected it to act? No.

Why, then., do you expect it to deal with an intimidatory assault?

By all means tell the university as well, afterwards, but when a crime is being committed tell the police in the first instance. This is precisely what they are for.

In this case I would have reported it to reception and the uni. They have just as much immediate power to deal with the situation.

Evict from accommodation.
Expel from university.

I may have reported it to the police as well. I expect she was shocked at ever ever having to deal with this and hoped they would go away
Reply 117
Original post by generallee
Fair enough, it was another poster, my bad.

From your other comments you agree with the sentiments, though. Which is that Brexit has somehow facilitated attacks like this. That is total BS and any time anyone on here makes such a ridiculous claim I will call them out on it, as I did you.

Yes, that’s your view, stick by it. Good for you. Just mind your emotive language please.

I’ll continue being informed by research data not opinions from ordinary people, especially those who appear to be communicating trough their emotions.
Original post by Fruli
Yes, that’s your view, stick by it. Good for you. Just mind your emotive language please.

I’ll continue being informed by research data not opinions from ordinary people, especially those who appear to be communicating trough their emotions.

There isn't any definitive "research data."

https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/when-the-facts-came-out-the-killing-of-a-polish-man-had-nothing-to-do-with-anti-immigrant-feeling/
Funny how 50% of this thread is about how the victim reported the incident, somehow implying some blame lies with the victim for the incident. Odd logic. Or perhaps it's an attempt to deflect?

I think it's acceptable to report this incident to "EVERYOOOONE" that would listen: accomodation, student union, university, police, CAB, newspaper, Twitter, the neighbour next door... It's not like she waited 3 months before telling the police. I went to Warwick University and there was an incident there with a banana inscription with words "monkey" and "n*****". There is plenty of racism at Oxbridge too, so let's not pretend this is a lower ranked university problem. Seriously.

https://youtu.be/74BzSTQCl_c

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Quick Reply