The Student Room Group

Should I write my story as a fanfiction or an original fiction?

I have been thinking about this for a while now. I would like to be a full-time writer in the future, which means that I definitely have to start writing original fiction once.

But I've already begun to develop a fanfiction (though I haven't written anything down yet), and I'm afraid that I will use up all of my good ideas if I go for it. I'm also afraid that it would contain so much unoriginal content that I won't be able to have it published later.
Reply 1
I guess you're right. Thing is, I'm concerned about using all of my ideas because I intend my work to be rather long and extensive. I definitely will use up many of my ideas.
Original post by soso112
I have been thinking about this for a while now. I would like to be a full-time writer in the future, which means that I definitely have to start writing original fiction once.

But I've already begun to develop a fanfiction (though I haven't written anything down yet), and I'm afraid that I will use up all of my good ideas if I go for it. I'm also afraid that it would contain so much unoriginal content that I won't be able to have it published later.

Writing anything is great because it's practice and experience. This definitely includes fanfiction. And some of that stuff is great. There are a couple specific ff I follow that would make up an entire book series if you made it into one and all of the content is high quality and original - they only borrow the characters and universe. You should look at writing ff as practice rather than something you will be able to or even want to publish.

Additionally, some fanfiction does get published in a way. For example, belive it or not but 50 Shades of Gray which is extremely popular actually originated from Twilight fanfiction. So there you have it.

And then there is the fact that it's much easier to get an audience (and therefore feedback) writing fanfiction rather than original fiction as an unknown writer.

You shouldn't worry about "using up your ideas" either. If you're any good at what you're doing there won't be a point where there just isn't anything good you can write anymore. You can run out of pens or toilet paper, not ideas (burnout is a whole another problem). You can always recycle them too. And you will probably find that you might come up with X amount of ideas for a story but you can actually only use 2/3 of that, so the rest will just sit there as a draft because you can't fit it into the story.

Latest