The Student Room Group

Longest run before 1/2 marathon

I've got a half marathon in just 10 days time and the longest I've been able to run in training is 10.77 miles, my training has been really interrupted for this half marathon due to things like illness, injuries and the bad weather.

I am a relatively fit person because even though I've not been able to do that many long runs I've managed to run between 3-6 miles a day in the gym. I've also got one last long run planned for one day this weekend that is about 10 miles long and includes a part of the half marathon route.

Will 10.77 miles in training be enough to get me through on race day?
Original post by MikePL
I've got a half marathon in just 10 days time and the longest I've been able to run in training is 10.77 miles, my training has been really interrupted for this half marathon due to things like illness, injuries and the bad weather.

I am a relatively fit person because even though I've not been able to do that many long runs I've managed to run between 3-6 miles a day in the gym. I've also got one last long run planned for one day this weekend that is about 10 miles long and includes a part of the half marathon route.

Will 10.77 miles in training be enough to get me through on race day?

Hi, is it the Coventry half marathon you are doing? I am also doing that in 10 days. If so, id say that is fine. The longest run I have done in my training is 10 miles.

best of luck :smile:
Reply 2
I did an 11.5 mile run the week before doing the Great North Run last year, but once you get into double figures it doesn't make too much difference: you've broken that mental barrier and will be fine for the day.
Reply 3
Original post by elle_jae832
Hi, is it the Coventry half marathon you are doing? I am also doing that in 10 days. If so, id say that is fine. The longest run I have done in my training is 10 miles.

best of luck :smile:

No it's the Wigan half marathon I'm doing as it's my home town. I did it last year and got a good time but as I say my training this year has been interrupted and I'm feeling really nervous.
Every training plan I've seen suggests your longest run should be around 10-12 miles.

I've got a half marathon next week. My longest run (due to needing surgery part way through training) has been 10k. Going to try for a long-ish run tomorrow.
Reply 5
Original post by Tiger Rag
Every training plan I've seen suggests your longest run should be around 10-12 miles.

I've got a half marathon next week. My longest run (due to needing surgery part way through training) has been 10k. Going to try for a long-ish run tomorrow.

I have been doing a bit of reading today and I've read about your longest run being between 10-12 miles. I know I can do the distance because I did the half marathon last year. But I'm just going out tomorrow for a long run just for my own peace of mind.
Reply 6
Original post by MikePL
I have been doing a bit of reading today and I've read about your longest run being between 10-12 miles. I know I can do the distance because I did the half marathon last year. But I'm just going out tomorrow for a long run just for my own peace of mind.

How did you get on or is it this weekend. I generally think if your fit, and have mental strength, you'll finish on the day, barring injury if you can do a 10k.

The more you put in training, the better it will feel on the day, but even if you have to walk you'll finish.
Reply 7
Original post by marcusgb
How did you get on or is it this weekend. I generally think if your fit, and have mental strength, you'll finish on the day, barring injury if you can do a 10k.

The more you put in training, the better it will feel on the day, but even if you have to walk you'll finish.

Well the actual race was cancelled due to snow but we where told we could complete a virtual half marathon and we would still get our medals. So I did it this weekend and being honest I am a little bit disappointed, I ran it in 1 hour 45 minutes but because it wasn't a proper race I wasn't as motivated and I wasted valuable minutes waiting to cross roads and things like that. So I suppose I can't be too disappointed.
Reply 8
Original post by MikePL
Well the actual race was cancelled due to snow but we where told we could complete a virtual half marathon and we would still get our medals. So I did it this weekend and being honest I am a little bit disappointed, I ran it in 1 hour 45 minutes but because it wasn't a proper race I wasn't as motivated and I wasted valuable minutes waiting to cross roads and things like that. So I suppose I can't be too disappointed.

that's a good effort! As you said race conditions give you an extra 10 percent so you'd have hit a rather strong time!
You'll be fine, I'd run the 10.77 again in the next few days then taper for the main day

Quick Reply

Latest