The Student Room Group

Government Economic Service summer 2018

Hi, I have my interview next week for GES summer internship 2018 wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? I have looked at the example maths and econ questions and they don't seem to bad but I'm worried about the interview!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Butchyboy
Hi, I have my interview next week for GES summer internship 2018 wondering if anyone else is in the same boat? I have looked at the example maths and econ questions and they don't seem to bad but I'm worried about the interview!

I'll move this over to the Public Sector subforum :borat:
Hi, i have an interview too and i am very worried. The interview is 20-30 minutes long... what do we speak about for that long :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by aylin12344
Hi, i have an interview too and i am very worried. The interview is 20-30 minutes long... what do we speak about for that long :frown:

I dont really know but i guess if there are two people asking questions then it'll go quicker. I expect they will ask something about economics to make you think on the spot maybe?
Which department have you got an interview for?

I dont really know but i guess if there are two people asking questions then it'll go quicker. I expect they will ask something about economics to make you think on the spot maybe?
Reply 5
Which department have you got an interview for?

For the Treasury, how about you?
Hahah same I have an interview for the Treasury too.

For the Treasury, how about you?
Reply 7
Hahah same I have an interview for the Treasury too.

This Wednesday? Good luck
Thank you, good luck to you too. No mines on the 23rd is yours on Wednesday ?

This Wednesday? Good luck
Reply 9
Thank you, good luck to you too. No mines on the 23rd is yours on Wednesday ?

Oh that’s nice, you have a couple more weeks. Yeah mines this week, stressing out because I only found out less than a week ago!
How are people revising for the economics part of it?
How did your interview go? When do you find out whether you got the position?

Oh that’s nice, you have a couple more weeks. Yeah mines this week, stressing out because I only found out less than a week ago!
Im not too sure, how are you thinking to revise?

Original post by thahir97
How are people revising for the economics part of it?
Reply 13
How did your interview go? When do you find out whether you got the position?

Yeah it went alright, took about 2 hours in total but everyone was very nice. 1st or 2nd week of April, so quite a long wait
Yeah it went alright, took about 2 hours in total but everyone was very nice. 1st or 2nd week of April, so quite a long wait

I have an interview tomorrow at the Cabinet Office. Was it questions on externalities, public goods, inflation, exchange rates etc?
Was there a verbal reasoning test too?
Reply 15
Original post by Dr Watson
I have an interview tomorrow at the Cabinet Office. Was it questions on externalities, public goods, inflation, exchange rates etc?
Was there a verbal reasoning test too?

Just questions on general economic theory, macro and micro. No verbal reasoning in mine. good luck
Just questions on general economic theory, macro and micro. No verbal reasoning in mine. good luck

Fab. Thanks and I hope you get the gig!!
If I haven't got a reply by now, does it mean rejection or does each department have different sifting timings? Thanks
Original post by chemistry17
If I haven't got a reply by now, does it mean rejection or does each department have different sifting timings? Thanks

I had an interview at HM Treasury two years ago and didn't get the job (interview was a mare). But they got back to me and said I hadn't got it but they provided feedback as to where I'd gone wrong. Hope this helps.
Original post by Dr Watson
I had an interview at HM Treasury two years ago and didn't get the job (interview was a mare). But they got back to me and said I hadn't got it but they provided feedback as to where I'd gone wrong. Hope this helps.

Oh sorry, I meant as in from the initial application. Submitted in Feb and haven't heard anything at all yet.

Quick Reply

Latest