The Student Room Group

Why do people not think about the consequences when getting drunk

Whether I am at work or university all I hear is people saying they 'can't wait till get drunk this weekend.'

I don't care what people do but these things people do so casually without taking into account the consequences.

For example, the amount of rapes, drink driving incidents, physical attacks etc that happen when drunk.

How can someone live knowing that because they were drunk they smashed a guy in the eye socket and now he is blind (just an example)

How can someone live knowing that they raped/ran someone over?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ineedtorevise127
Whether I am at work or university all I hear is people saying they 'can't wait till get drunk this weekend.'

I don't care what people do but these things people do so casually without taking into account the consequences.

For example, the amount of rapes, drink driving incidents, physical attacks etc that happen when drunk.

How can someone live knowing that because they were drunk they smashed a guy in the eye socket and now he is blind (just an example)

How can someone live knowing that they raped/ran someone over?

Do you drink alcohol? Doesnt sound like it. Millions of people drink and millions are responsible.

There are plenty of attacks , dangerous drivers and rapes that dont involve drink. As virtually all drinkers will not be committing serious crimes, then I imagine they find it quite easy to live with themselves. If they cant control their drink then more fool them, but most people are fine. Dont tar everyone with the same brush.
This is a ridiculous topic and question. 99.999% of people go out and have a few drinks and have no negative consequences to consider. Drinking doesn't make you violent, or a rapist, etc., it lowers your inhibitions so those qualities may come to the fore, sure, but having been drunk many many times in my life I can assure you I've never blinded someone, raped someone, or hit someone with a car.

Alcohol has nothing to do at all with the daft question you're posing. Are you genuinely suggesting that a typical office worker looking forward to a drink at the weekend should stop and think "oh but what if I rape somebody"?
Original post by 999tigger
Do you drink alcohol? Doesnt sound like it. Millions of people drink and millions are responsible.

There are plenty of attacks , dangerous drivers and rapes that dont involve drink. As virtually all drinkers will not be committing serious crimes, then I imagine they find it quite easy to live with themselves. If they cant control their drink then more fool them, but most people are fine. Dont tar everyone with the same brush.

Don't care if millions are responsible. There are still many who die from drink driving. People who get violent attacks by drinks etc... What do you want to tell the families who were victims to people being selfish and careless
Original post by PlayWithMarkers
This is a ridiculous topic and question. 99.999% of people go out and have a few drinks and have no negative consequences to consider. Drinking doesn't make you violent, or a rapist, etc., it lowers your inhibitions so those qualities may come to the fore, sure, but having been drunk many many times in my life I can assure you I've never blinded someone, raped someone, or hit someone with a car.

Alcohol has nothing to do at all with the daft question you're posing. Are you genuinely suggesting that a typical office worker looking forward to a drink at the weekend should stop and think "oh but what if I rape somebody"?

It is in reference to those who say they want to get wasted basically very drunk
Reply 5

I'd love to see the number of drink driving incidents that happen when they're not drunk...

And I really hope you're not suggesting that people get raped because they're drunk...?
Reply 6
Don't care if millions are responsible. There are still many who die from drink driving. People who get violent attacks by drinks etc... What do you want to tell the families who were victims to people being selfish and careless

That the person responsible has been arrested and dealt with according to the law.

Same thing that would happen if they were sober.

End of discussion
It is in reference to those who say they want to get wasted basically very drunk

Okay? Again, many many many many (many) people get wasted and don't have any negative consequences. There's murders, rapes, and a billion other terrible things happening constantly that have nothing to do with alcohol, and the times when people do commit crimes under the influence are hardly of a concern to the average drinker.
Reply 8
oh bore off, granddad
Original post by Drewski
That the person responsible has been arrested and dealt with according to the law.

Same thing that would happen if they were sober.

End of discussion

They don't know they do. This country does not treat drink drivers as murderers. In fact from my experience of those I know and from other people's experiences who have been victim. The guilty was only given a 2 year driving ban at most I heard was 3 years sentence

Do you drink alcohol?

Crimes happen all the time and most perpetrators are not drunk.

Thousands die on the roads each year. Would you like to ban driving?

People die from knives. Would you like to ban all knives?

People die from food poisoning and obesity related illnesses. Would you like to ban food?

Your OP is really dumb.
They don't know they do. This country does not treat drink drivers as murderers. In fact from my experience of those I know and from other people's experiences who have been victim. The guilty was only given a 2 year driving ban at most I heard was 3 years sentence

You're complaining about a different thing.

In law, iirc, murder has to involve intent.
Do you drink alcohol?

Crimes happen all the time and most perpetrators are not drunk.

Thousands die on the roads each year. Would you like to ban driving?

People die from knives. Would you like to ban all knives?

People die from food poisoning and obesity related illnesses. Would you like to ban food?

Your OP is really dumb.

Stupid analogy. I am talking about deaths that could be avoided if people were responsible. People who carry knives deserve a hefty sentence. People who run over someone because they jumped out of course that is not their fault. We are talking about drink driving where it is solely the driver's fault. And food poisoning should also be given hefty sentences.

Smoking, obesity etc... Personal choice if someone dies that was not from someone elses actions but theirs. Drink driving is not a personal choice for the person who died.

On average 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in drink drive collisions (UK) That is far too high. Someone having their life changed because some idiot decided too drink too much and put someone else at risk.

http://www.drinkdrivingfacts.com/drinkdriving/drink_driving_facts.aspx

There are people who drive when drunk I don't get why people have to deny that. Even if 99 percent don't there is still a percentage that do and that still has devastating impact on lives
Ah yes! Getting drunk instantly means you're going to have an untold amount of punch ups and go around f*cking everything with a hole!

Get a grip... These are the minority of cases. Most people can get drunk and get on fine with their night.

Most people commit crime when they're sober... Guess that means we should all get drunk. DON'T PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THE CONSEQUENCES OF BEING SOBER? YOU KILL PEOPLE AND SH*T! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! WONT SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!
Stupid analogy. I am talking about deaths that could be avoided if people were responsible. People who carry knives deserve a hefty sentence. People who run over someone because they jumped out of course that is not their fault. We are talking about drink driving where it is solely the driver's fault. And food poisoning should also be given hefty sentences.

Smoking, obesity etc... Personal choice if someone dies that was not from someone elses actions but theirs. Drink driving is not a personal choice for the person who died.

On average 3,000 people are killed or seriously injured each year in drink drive collisions (UK) That is far too high. Someone having their life changed because some idiot decided too drink too much and put someone else at risk.

There are people who drive when drunk I don't get why people have to deny that. Even if 99 percent don't there is still a percentage that do and that still has devastating impact on lives

And it's already a criminal act. You're behaving as though everyone condones it.

So would you like to ban alcohol altogether? Punish everyone for the actions of a few?
So would you like to ban alcohol altogether? Punish everyone for the actions of a few?

No I am saying people need to be careful. Being drunk can have devastating consequences
No I am saying people need to be careful. Being drunk can have devastating consequences

That would be why people get locked up for committing crimes.
Just sounds to me like you think anyone who drinks is in the category of assailant , rapist or drink driver.
That would be why people get locked up for committing crimes.
Just sounds to me like you think anyone who drinks is in the category of assailant , rapist or drink driver.

Not anyone who drinks anyone who is drunk. If your drunk many changes can happen. Just look what science has to say. Loss of speech, not being aware etc..

Anyone who is drunk increases chances of doing something severe
Not anyone who drinks anyone who is drunk. If your drunk many changes can happen. Just look what science has to say. Loss of speech, not being aware etc..

Anyone who is drunk increases chances of doing something severe

So you want to criminalise drunkenness?

Quick Reply

Latest