The Student Room Group

Geography or Economics degree or both?

Hi there,

I'm currently studying maths, econ and music in yr 13 and have applied to do geography(BA) as the topics I have enjoyed the most in economics happens to be more geography relate (globalisation e.t.c)

I've got offers from KCL, Edinburgh, Sussex and Queen Mary to study geography and I would probably like to go to KCL. However, I am interested in a career in economic development (The UN or World Bank), and part of me thinks I need to study economics instead as it might be more respected than geography. I like economics, but I think I would enjoy geography more. Any advice? Should I just reapply next year for a different course or take Geography at KCL.

Thanks
Original post by hendyrix
Hi there,

I'm currently studying maths, econ and music in yr 13 and have applied to do geography(BA) as the topics I have enjoyed the most in economics happens to be more geography relate (globalisation e.t.c)

I've got offers from KCL, Edinburgh, Sussex and Queen Mary to study geography and I would probably like to go to KCL. However, I am interested in a career in economic development (The UN or World Bank), and part of me thinks I need to study economics instead as it might be more respected than geography. I like economics, but I think I would enjoy geography more. Any advice? Should I just reapply next year for a different course or take Geography at KCL.

Thanks

Have you looked at jobs in the field and worked out what qualifications people have? I suspect a lot of this will be down to work experience and there will be a few different routes into these careers but it does sound like economics is a better option. There is no rush to go to uni and you can take a gap year to think about this a bit more. Even if you do want to go to uni this year you still have some time to change your mind.
Econ will be a better prospect tbh
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Have you looked at jobs in the field and worked out what qualifications people have? I suspect a lot of this will be down to work experience and there will be a few different routes into these careers but it does sound like economics is a better option. There is no rush to go to uni and you can take a gap year to think about this a bit more. Even if you do want to go to uni this year you still have some time to change your mind.

Yeah see I looked into this, but it's mostly down to doing MSc degrees and work experience so yeah, i'm not really sure
Original post by hendyrix
Yeah see I looked into this, but it's mostly down to doing MSc degrees and work experience so yeah, i'm not really sure

Check what degree you need to be eligible to do those masters degrees then.
Reply 5
Most economics degrees require Maths A level though.
Reply 6
Original post by Rover5
Most economics degrees require Maths A level though.

Yeah i'm doing maths

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending