The Student Room Group

Should I just give up?

I had no idea whether to put this here, or in mental health or... but long story short I've got my a level exams in a couple of months and... I don't know.

I've been really struggling with mental and physical health over the past few years and my school attendance is around 40%. I'm months behind all of my school work, and I really don't think there's going to be any way I'm going to manage to self-teach myself all of the content and revise it as well as AS material, and finish my coursework, and then on top of all that there's choosing firm/insurance unis, student finance, accommodation, whatever the hell else...

So does anyone have any tips for:
- time management
- concentration (I can hardly manage 5 minutes of working until I just completely break down or I give up because I'm so overwhelmed and can't stop panicking)
- just pulling yourself together in general?

Huge thanks to any help or tips!! They're greatly appreciated.
Hey, what helps me is rewarding myself with chocolate every time I complete a section of work and it calms me down too. Sorry if this isn’t of much help.
Hello hello ashclouds! :smile:

First of all take a little breather, lets put this in perspective for you;

1. First off I'm really impressed with your resilience, you've done well despite all of the difficult things you've obviously gone though. You're so close to freedom, hang in there! :smile:
2. We still have time! Don't worry, you can get things started, its not too late.
3. believe it or not, lots of students are in a similar situation to you and they will also make it. We'll all make it together.

Okie dokie so here's a couple of my tips (from someone also with low attendance, poor time management and ABYSMAL concentration, and they've kind of worked! :smile: ) I'm gonna spoiler tag it bc I have a habit of writing LOADS!

Time management:

Spoiler

Concentration
(From a recovering chronic procrastinator :tongue:):

Spoiler

Pulling yourself together:

Spoiler

Phew! That was a lot! Sorry for talking your ear off but I wanted to make sure I got everything down for you. I really really hope it can be helpful in some way for you. If you need any more help just ask/send me a dm and we'll sort it out together. It doesn't have to be super scary, you can do it! :biggrin:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Zanie121
Hey, what helps me is rewarding myself with chocolate every time I complete a section of work and it calms me down too. Sorry if this isn’t of much help.

see id love this but im a fat sh*t so
Reply 4
In terms of improving concentration and time management, I find that the pomodoro technique is really helpful. You basically set a timer for 25 mins, have a 5 min break and do this 3 more times (so you've done this process 4 times in total) and then have a longer break, like an hour or something. It gets you being productive but it's not too intensive/boring/time wasting!

Also it's a bit cliche but doing past papers/exam practice and studying mark schemes is so key, I have friends who have basically told me this is can be more important than the content itself. Obviously, you do need to know subject content but exam technique can go a very long way.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects are you taking? And speaking to teachers/friends/family etc can really help, you might have already done this but I knew it helped me reduce my stress levels personally and get good advice about things like revision/balancing work and life etc.

Hope this helped!
Reply 5
In terms of improving concentration and time management, I find that the pomodoro technique is really helpful. You basically set a timer for 25 mins, have a 5 min break and do this 3 more times (so you've done this process 4 times in total) and then have a longer break, like an hour or something. It gets you being productive but it's not too intensive/boring/time wasting!

For not feeling overwhelmed, breaking big tasks into bitesize chunks is really useful. Projects such as coursework are just a lot of small tasks clumped together!

Also it's a bit cliche but doing past papers/exam practice and studying mark schemes is so key, I have friends who have basically told me this is can be more important than the content itself. Obviously, you do need to know subject content but exam technique can go a very long way.

Also speaking to teachers/friends/family etc can really help, you might have already done this but I knew it helped me reduce my stress levels personally and get good advice about things like revision/balancing work and life etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects are you taking?

Hope this helped!
yes, yes you ****ing should.:smile:
Original post by slurredsquash
Hello hello ashclouds! :smile:

First of all take a little breather, lets put this in perspective for you;

1. First off I'm really impressed with your resilience, you've done well despite all of the difficult things you've obviously gone though. You're so close to freedom, hang in there! :smile:
2. We still have time! Don't worry, you can get things started, its not too late.
3. believe it or not, lots of students are in a similar situation to you and they will also make it. We'll all make it together.

Okie dokie so here's a couple of my tips (from someone also with low attendance, poor time management and ABYSMAL concentration, and they've kind of worked! :smile: ) I'm gonna spoiler tag it bc I have a habit of writing LOADS!

Time management:

Spoiler

Concentration
(From a recovering chronic procrastinator :tongue:):

Spoiler

Pulling yourself together:

Spoiler

Phew! That was a lot! Sorry for talking your ear off but I wanted to make sure I got everything down for you. I really really hope it can be helpful in some way for you. If you need any more help just ask/send me a dm and we'll sort it out together. It doesn't have to be super scary, you can do it! :biggrin:

Good luck! :biggrin:

Original post by isty_123

For not feeling overwhelmed, breaking big tasks into bitesize chunks is really useful. Projects such as coursework are just a lot of small tasks clumped together!

Also speaking to teachers/friends/family etc can really help, you might have already done this but I knew it helped me reduce my stress levels personally and get good advice about things like revision/balancing work and life etc.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects are you taking?

Hope this helped!

Thanks both of you, hopefully I can force myself to try to follow your tips, it really means a lot!
Itsy, I'm taking English lit&lang, business and sociology
Reply 8
Original post by ashclouds
Thanks both of you, hopefully I can force myself to try to follow your tips, it really means a lot!
Itsy, I'm taking English lit&lang, business and sociology

You're more than welcome mate and hey I'm taking Business as well! What exam board are you with for Business? I'm with Edexcel.
Original post by Zanie121

Do you want him to get diabetes?:biggrin:
You're more than welcome mate and hey I'm taking Business as well! What exam board are you with for Business? I'm with Edexcel.

Hey snap, I'm on Edexcel too!
yay I'm not alone 😂😂 How are you finding Business? Imo the textbook is wayyyyyy too long. I have a peer who got an A* last year from using these revision guides from a brand called anforme, which I only discovered earlier this week. They're much more straight to the point and are tailored for the Edexcel exams. He made flashcards of the points in the revision guides, did practice exam Qs/essays, used the case studies in the Edexcel textbook and swore by the peach structure when writing essays. He told me that once you have the knowledge, if you apply the peach structure to your essay writing, then getting doing well on essays should be much more straight forward.
(edited 6 years ago)
yay I'm not alone 😂😂 How are you finding Business? Imo the textbook is wayyyyyy too long. I have a peer who got an A* last year from using these revision guides from a brand called anforme, which I only discovered earlier this week. They're much more straight to the point and are tailored for the Edexcel exams. He made flashcards of the points in the revision guides, did practice exam Qs/essays, used the case studies in the Edexcel textbook and swore by the peach structure when writing essays. He told me that once you have the knowledge, if you apply the peach structure to your essay writing, then getting doing well on essays should be much more straight forward.

Business is alright, it's definitely the subject I'm least worried about at least. We use the anforme books too, as well as these little flipbooks by Time2Resources, though I prefer learning from the powerpoints. I've hardly done any exam qs in a while, though I really dislike the ones in the anforme for some reason. What's the peach structure? My class stick to knowledge, point, analyse, apply, evaluate, it seems to be going okay though I think I'm missing marks somewhere and I have no idea where haha
Hey sorry for the late reply this last week or so has been really busy! The 'Peach' structure stands for Point, Effect, Apply (e.g. using statistics from the case study in the question to support your argument, so you get application marks by applying info from the case study to your answer) Context (If or how said business is affected by the market it operates in) and However (an alternate point of view, this ensures your argument is balanced which is really important).

At school they emphasised this loads, because this structure would tick all the boxes in the mark scheme.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest