The Student Room Group

Friend having to drop out after first year due to tuition fees.

Hi all,

Advice would be great for a problem my friend is having.

A bit of background, as this might help. They come from Ethiopia and have so far achieved all 1st in their exams and course work, taking Computer Science.

Unfortunately, it seems they might not be able to come back after first year as their family seems to not be able to pay the tuition fees anymore as they previously thought they could. With this, my friend has decided to call the university department for handling international students and tuition fees. Unfortunately, they said they really couldn't do anything for them, and have stated they they will need to have come up with a solution to pay the tuition fees soon. My friend does have a job, but of course, it won't be enough to pay the tuition fees and was more to pay off the accommodation they're staying at.

With this, advice for them would be greatly appreciated.

I hope someone here will know what to do, as they deserve to stay at uni and complete the course.

Thanks.
I don't know much about internaional students and how their fees work-but can they get student loans at all?
Reply 2
Original post by AzureCeleste
I don't know much about internaional students and how their fees work-but can they get student loans at all?

Hi,

From Student Finance. No.

We have been looking at student loans from private companies and banks, but, we're both unsure how this would turn out. As both of us are not experts in regards to how much they would then need to pay back, when, and what happens if they can't afford to pay it back.

Unlike with Student Finance, where it will automatically be taken out when i earn enough money, and becomes wiped if I don't pay it all back after a certain time period.
Reply 3
Original post by WestMan389
Hi,

From Student Finance. No.

We have been looking at student loans from private companies and banks, but, we're both unsure how this would turn out. As both of us are not experts in regards to how much they would then need to pay back, when, and what happens if they can't afford to pay it back.

Unlike with Student Finance, where it will automatically be taken out when i earn enough money, and becomes wiped if I don't pay it all back after a certain time period.

Does your friend have any passports other than an Ethiopian one? Unless they do it will be very hard to find anyone who will lend money on a commercial basis.
http://www.chevening.org/apply - scholarship funded by UK govt
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Does your friend have any passports other than an Ethiopian one? Unless they do it will be very hard to find anyone who will lend money on a commercial basis.

Honestly.

Think they only have an Ethiopian passport. Are you saying there's really nothing we can do then? 😞
Reply 6
Honestly.

Think they only have an Ethiopian passport. Are you saying there's really nothing we can do then? 😞

I wouldnt be an expert but I think its going to be really tough - especially if the fees are very high. Other than grants and scholarships there just isn't a loan scheme for non residents. How much are the annual fees?
Reply 7
Original post by ajj2000
I wouldnt be an expert but I think its going to be really tough - especially if the fees are very high. Other than grants and scholarships there just isn't a loan scheme for non residents. How much are the annual fees?

£12,750.
Honestly.

Unlikely. Whilst there might be help from the uni, there won't be full help.
Reply 9
Original post by Tiger Rag
Unlikely. Whilst there might be help from the uni, there won't be full help.

Thanks for the honesty.

Now though. Should I continue looking, or should I just tell them there’s nothing we can really do?
Reply 10
Have they lived in the uk for the past 5 years. If so then apply for dule english-ethiopian citizenship and get student finance. https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen . Other wise look at summer internships. Some of them pay really well. Also if your friend a girl then there are quite a few women in stem scholarships-internships. I would also say if the course offers a year out in industry- take it. You should hopefully(if you stay on a buget) be able to save up fo the next year.
Reply 11
Original post by hgfdt
Have they lived in the uk for the past 5 years. If so then apply for dule english-ethiopian citizenship and get student finance. https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen . Other wise look at summer internships. Some of them pay really well. Also if your friend a girl then there are quite a few women in stem scholarships-internships. I would also say if the course offers a year out in industry- take it. You should hopefully(if you stay on a buget) be able to save up fo the next year.

No. She just came here for her studies.

I’ll mention to her your suggestions.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending