The Student Room Group

Urgent advice needed

I am so unhappy at sixth form - honestly, since I decided to move from my old school, away from teachers I knew, close friends, and a smaller environment I have progressively got worse since December despite seeing my tutor and counsellor.
I have tried getting back to my old sixth form, my mum rang up to ask but the admin lady for the sixth form office said it wasn't possible this late in the year to catch up even though someone switched sixth forms just last week in my class. I know for a fact that my exam board shouldn't make a difference as after thoroughly looking at cimprisons between the boards they are SO similar and even then my mum offered to get a tutor to help me catch up.

The school didn't even give me a chance to meet face to face. I was one of their brightest students in yr11 and got on so well with the teachers. My mum explained how I've had numerous meltdowns bur they just said no.
My tutor is trying to persist a little more but said if I'm really unhappy at my current sixth I should look to change for year 2 but that would stress me even more knowing I'd have to adjust YET AGAIN to somewhere new.

Worth mentioning my old school sixth is shutting down after they've seen current students through so I couldn't just retake yr12.

I'm so stressed at the thought of spending another 18 months at this place. It's massive and I can't focus there.
Do I persist with my old school?
Reply 1
Help please I'm so upset
Hi there, what exactly are you unhappy with about with your current sixth form? Is it the work load, the atmosphere, the people?
Reply 3
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Hi there, what exactly are you unhappy with about with your current sixth form? Is it the work load, the atmosphere, the people?

There are 5,000 people who go to it, not even kidding. Half don't want to be there. Class sizes are massive, I haven't been able to make any new friends as the canteens are packed and everyone stuck rigidly to their old groups.
I trued my hardest last year and thought I was happy until I was exhausted nearly every day trying to fit in somewhere I hate.
My brothers both came hrre 10 years ago so naturally I followed in their footsteps because they said it was amazing but they went with friends whereas I entered alone.

It's not just me tho my mum knows parents whose kids are now at uni who HATED every minute of my sixth form and similarly made no friends.

I just miss being stretched in lessons and the school environment. It's so hard to focus when some people just mess about :frown:
I wake up with my heart racing every morning. I'm more stressed about going in on a Monday morning than I was in the whole 2 months I sat my GCSES. It's so messed up.
Original post by bluebells1
There are 5,000 people who go to it, not even kidding. Half don't want to be there. Class sizes are massive, I haven't been able to make any new friends as the canteens are packed and everyone stuck rigidly to their old groups.
I trued my hardest last year and thought I was happy until I was exhausted nearly every day trying to fit in somewhere I hate.
My brothers both came hrre 10 years ago so naturally I followed in their footsteps because they said it was amazing but they went with friends whereas I entered alone.

It's not just me tho my mum knows parents whose kids are now at uni who HATED every minute of my sixth form and similarly made no friends.

I just miss being stretched in lessons and the school environment. It's so hard to focus when some people just mess about :frown:
I wake up with my heart racing every morning. I'm more stressed about going in on a Monday morning than I was in the whole 2 months I sat my GCSES. It's so messed up.

Although my sixth form was no where near that big, I also joined a different one from my GCSE school so I understand where you're coming from.

Naturally, I'm quite introverted and don't really do what the crowd does so I didn't have a large group of friends either - and it's even worse at uni. However I would really advise you to keep your studies as your first priority - I know that might seem easier said than done but trust me, if you put in the effort now and maybe self teach using online resources and revision guides, your hard work and hardships of being lonely in a huge school will pay off and you'll definitely be proud of yourself in the end.
Reply 5
Although my sixth form was no where near that big, I also joined a different one from my GCSE school so I understand where you're coming from.

Naturally, I'm quite introverted and don't really do what the crowd does so I didn't have a large group of friends either - and it's even worse at uni. However I would really advise you to keep your studies as your first priority - I know that might seem easier said than done but trust me, if you put in the effort now and maybe self teach using online resources and revision guides, your hard work and hardships of being lonely in a huge school will pay off and you'll definitely be proud of yourself in the end.

I'm really honestly trying but I cannot focus at all in frees, even the library is noisy when people open thethe door from the main computer room and it's so smalll nearly all the tables are taken. That leaves either the two computer rooms but a) you can never get a seat b) they are SO LOUD and everyone just messes around

I kno how important it is to do well but when the teachers don't know you well (one forgot my name the other day ...) and you're desperately lonely it is so hard to concentrate.

At home I just have zero motivation at all. I really miss my old school :frown:
I'm really honestly trying but I cannot focus at all in frees, even the library is noisy when people open thethe door from the main computer room and it's so smalll nearly all the tables are taken. That leaves either the two computer rooms but a) you can never get a seat b) they are SO LOUD and everyone just messes around

I kno how important it is to do well but when the teachers don't know you well (one forgot my name the other day ...) and you're desperately lonely it is so hard to concentrate.

At home I just have zero motivation at all. I really miss my old school :frown:

You said you might be able to join your old school for next year, maybe that's an option? But they might make you start fresh from year 12 again so it's worth considering.

Are you allowed to leave your sixth form during free periods? If you are, maybe go to somewhere quieter like a cafe? If not, maybe search for an empty room to use or ask a teacher (a kind one) if you could use their room during lunchtime etc?

When it comes to motivation, I just think about what I want to do in the future and know that if I don't work hard now, I won't be able to get there and probably stay on minimum wage forever.

If you're still in contact with your old school friends, maybe you could meet up with them on a weekend or if not, just have a day out with a family member just to give you a break?
Reply 7
You said you might be able to join your old school for next year, maybe that's an option? But they might make you start fresh from year 12 again so it's worth considering.

Are you allowed to leave your sixth form during free periods? If you are, maybe go to somewhere quieter like a cafe? If not, maybe search for an empty room to use or ask a teacher (a kind one) if you could use their room during lunchtime etc?

When it comes to motivation, I just think about what I want to do in the future and know that if I don't work hard now, I won't be able to get there and probably stay on minimum wage forever.

If you're still in contact with your old school friends, maybe you could meet up with them on a weekend or if not, just have a day out with a family member just to give you a break?

agh I just don't know anymore :frown:
I had this gut instinct back in November I'd want to go back but everyone just kept telling me to 'hang in there' and basically said 'no you dont' when I said I wanted to move. I wish I'd followed my own instinct

But thank you so much for your replies x
agh I just don't know anymore :frown:
I had this gut instinct back in November I'd want to go back but everyone just kept telling me to 'hang in there' and basically said 'no you dont' when I said I wanted to move. I wish I'd followed my own instinct

But thank you so much for your replies x

No problem, on the bright side as least you can use this experience as a learning curve - when you apply for uni or whatever you want to do after A Levels, choose somewhere you feel comfortable with and don't listen to what other people want.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest