The Student Room Group

Courses/classes/work Experience/lessons

What courses/experience can I do to BOOST my chances of getting into a top BIOLOGY UNIVERSITY?
Original post by Chalky2000
What courses/experience can I do to BOOST my chances of getting into a top BIOLOGY UNIVERSITY?

Some universities do offer summer schools for biological sciences I think. However, most universities will just want to see an interest in the subject- so reading extra biology books or magazines, listening to podcasts etc. Your local university might offer open lectures as well. You could get involved in some citizen science projects. It's better to discuss a few things in depth than just list all the things you've done.

Work experience is always good for your future career, but doesn't matter much for a non-vocational course at uni. It might be hard to get meaningful work experience (e.g. in a lab) when you're under 18 as well.

To be honest, the best thing you can do to increase your chances is to get the best grades you can.

What universities did you have in mind?
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Some universities do offer summer schools for biological sciences I think. However, most universities will just want to see an interest in the subject- so reading extra biology books or magazines, listening to podcasts etc. Your local university might offer open lectures as well. You could get involved in some citizen science projects. It's better to discuss a few things in depth than just list all the things you've done.

Work experience is always good for your future career, but doesn't matter much for a non-vocational course at uni. It might be hard to get meaningful work experience (e.g. in a lab) when you're under 18 as well.

To be honest, the best thing you can do to increase your chances is to get the best grades you can.

What universities did you have in mind?

I’m hoping for Cambridge or somewhere similar to study natural sciences!
Could you reccomend any books to read and any summer schools??
I’m hoping for Cambridge or somewhere similar to study natural sciences!
Could you reccomend any books to read and any summer schools??

It seems like you've missed Cambridge summer schools for 2018 unfortunately- but they do offer one day master classes with a few biological sciences options which could be a good starting points https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses

There's a lot about admissions requirements for the course here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

With books, I would pick an area that interests you, and read a few pop-science books in that area. What you're trying to show is biology interests you outside the classroom. Or the New Scientist is good- but don't just say you read it- pick 1/2 articles to discuss in your PS.

But really I think Cambridge is mainly interested in your academic ability, probably more than any other uni.
Reply 4
It seems like you've missed Cambridge summer schools for 2018 unfortunately- but they do offer one day master classes with a few biological sciences options which could be a good starting points https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/events/masterclasses

There's a lot about admissions requirements for the course here: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences

With books, I would pick an area that interests you, and read a few pop-science books in that area. What you're trying to show is biology interests you outside the classroom. Or the New Scientist is good- but don't just say you read it- pick 1/2 articles to discuss in your PS.

But really I think Cambridge is mainly interested in your academic ability, probably more than any other uni.

Okay, thanks so much.
Do you know of any other science summer schools or other masterclasses which may compensate for me not going to a Cambridge one??
And what are your tips for writing a good personal statement??
Thanks
Okay, thanks so much.
Do you know of any other science summer schools or other masterclasses which may compensate for me not going to a Cambridge one??
And what are your tips for writing a good personal statement??
Thanks

I don't off the top of my head, but if you google something like "summer schools my area" you should get some suggestions. It's partly about showing an interest, so it doesn't matter too much where you do the summer school, more that you've spent a week of your summer studying your subject. You could also try looking at other unis that you might consider as back ups to see if they offer summer schools etc.

Do bear in mind that your academic profile is way more important than your personal statement in many cases. However, TSR does have some good tools/tips to help you build a good one.

I guess my best tips would be:

I'd say make sure at least 75%, ideally more, is directly relevant to your subject.

Don't repeat things that are elsewhere on your application (e.g. describing what you've learned from your A-levels as this is a bit of a waste of characters).

Make sure your standard of written English is very good- keep things formal, so no abbreviations etc.

Explain how you benefited from/why you enjoyed extra curriculars relating to the subject, rather than just listing what you've done.

Make sure you answer the question "Why do I want to study this subject at uni?"

I hope that helps a bit.
Reply 6
I don't off the top of my head, but if you google something like "summer schools my area" you should get some suggestions. It's partly about showing an interest, so it doesn't matter too much where you do the summer school, more that you've spent a week of your summer studying your subject. You could also try looking at other unis that you might consider as back ups to see if they offer summer schools etc.

Do bear in mind that your academic profile is way more important than your personal statement in many cases. However, TSR does have some good tools/tips to help you build a good one.

I guess my best tips would be:

I'd say make sure at least 75%, ideally more, is directly relevant to your subject.

Don't repeat things that are elsewhere on your application (e.g. describing what you've learned from your A-levels as this is a bit of a waste of characters).

Make sure your standard of written English is very good- keep things formal, so no abbreviations etc.

Explain how you benefited from/why you enjoyed extra curriculars relating to the subject, rather than just listing what you've done.

Make sure you answer the question "Why do I want to study this subject at uni?"

I hope that helps a bit.

Thank you!
So would you stress ‘grades first, extra curricular second’ ??
Thank you!
So would you stress ‘grades first, extra curricular second’ ??

100%
Reply 8
100%

Okay! Thanks so much, you’ve been so helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending