The Student Room Group

Prefect Application

​Hey, I'm new here, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong category or something but, I've applied for the position of senior prefect and got an interview, but i'm really unsure on how to go about this interview. They will probably give scenarios and ask us what we would do in those situations. But if they asked me something like: if you saw a fight break out what would you do? Or if a kid was getting bullied what would you do? What could I say? One thing people have said not to do is to say 'I'd tell a teacher' too much, tho I have no idea what I'd say in that situation. Could anyone help?
Also they also say that its good to ask your own questions in an interview but what sort of stuff could I ask related to the position? Thanks for all your help in advance x
Reply 1
Original post by ASJ_12
​Hey, I'm new here, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong category or something but, I've applied for the position of senior prefect and got an interview, but i'm really unsure on how to go about this interview. They will probably give scenarios and ask us what we would do in those situations. But if they asked me something like: if you saw a fight break out what would you do? Or if a kid was getting bullied what would you do? What could I say? One thing people have said not to do is to say 'I'd tell a teacher' too much, tho I have no idea what I'd say in that situation. Could anyone help?
Also they also say that its good to ask your own questions in an interview but what sort of stuff could I ask related to the position? Thanks for all your help in advance x

Hiya!

I think I'd start by considering what the role of senior prefect involved and what will make you good at carrying out those duties.

In response to situation based questions you need to be sensible. I would certainly not recommend saying, for example, that you would split a fight up or that you would confront a bully. That is not part of your role. I would focus on what you could do before the situation to prevent it occurring or after the situation has occurred to restore happiness. So it might be that you propose the prefects take it in turns to hosts a drop in session for people who have been victims of bullying to report incidents and have a chat with someone in a place that they will feel safe and secure. Or it might be you set up a mentoring program for those who have been bullied. Victims could be paired with a prefect who meets with them weekly to check everything is okay, for example.

Focus on what you can add, or what you would do that would be different. If you just say you'll carry on the work of prefects in previous years, you might not stand out. What sort of impact will you have? How will you leave a legacy?

I hope that this has helped, and sorry for the long post!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by HT2412
Hiya!

I think I'd start by considering what the role of senior prefect involved and what will make you good at carrying out those duties.

In response to situation based questions you need to be sensible. I would certainly not recommend saying, for example, that you would split a fight up or that you would confront a bully. That is not part of your role. I would focus on what you could do before the situation to prevent it occurring or after the situation has occurred to restore happiness. So it might be that you propose the prefects take it in turns to hosts a drop in session for people who have been victims of bullying to report incidents and have a chat with someone in a place that they will feel safe and secure. Or it might be you set up a mentoring program for those who have been bullied. Victims could be paired with a prefect who meets with them weekly to check everything is okay, for example.

Focus on what you can add, or what you would do that would be different. If you just say you'll carry on the work of prefects in previous years, you might not stand out. What sort of impact will you have? How will you leave a legacy?

I hope that this has helped, and sorry for the long post!

Thank-you and FYI I made senior prefect so thanks for your help x
Reply 3
Original post by ASJ_12
Thank-you and FYI I made senior prefect so thanks for your help x

Congratulations! That is something that will look great on your CV going forward and, more importantly, you'll make great memories of your time at school. I know I look back on my experience as Head Boy really fondly and I'm sure that you will too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending