The Student Room Group

Parents being against music

Has anyone one else got parents that are against music like mine? My parents won't let me have bass/guitar or any other instrument I ask for my birthday or Christmas apart from my Casio keyboard what I had for my birthday this year. It's not like I'm asking for really expensive instruments. It's not like I won't play the guitar or bass since I am always playing at school but most of the time I play the acoustic because I play left handed and school only has one left handed guitar. If I want to play the electric or bass at school I have to play it upside down which is annoying. I would rather have my own and take it to school and play. I need to know of ways I can talk my parents into buying me a electric guitar or bass. The bass at school if you try to play it upside down it is forever cutting out. Playing stuff upside down is normally at lot harder or not possible. Any tips or advice?
get new parents
Not expensive?
It's like a few hundred quid- a lot to spend on something that you may not end up using a lot. This may be your parents worry that it'll be a waste. Ask what the reasons are for not allowing you to have it
Ask school if there are any instrument lending schemes.

Btw this sounds like the plot of Coco. You should watch that with them.
Reply 4
I was looking into getting a Squire or Ibanez guitar/bass. The squire guitar is about £190 and the Ibanez bass is about £250 so isn't as expensive as some. But with the bass I was planning on asking for it for my 16th. My parents would let me have something around the same price if it was a game console or something. I've got a feeling that she is worried about the noise not to sure though.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Ask school if there are any instrument lending schemes.

Btw this sounds like the plot of Coco. You should watch that with them.

School don't lend the guitars to students apart from at break times and luch times. They only have one acoustic guitar that is left handed and all the rest of the guitars are right handed. Playing upside down is a nightmare and would rather have a left handed guitar what I can take to school. They do lend some other instuments but you have to have lessons for them to lend to you (I rather be self tought though).
Original post by TheDevil
I was looking into getting a Squire or Ibanez guitar/bass. The squire guitar is about £190 and the Ibanez bass is about £250 so isn't as expensive as some. But with the bass I was planning on asking for it for my 16th. My parents would let me have something around the same price if it was a game console or something. I've got a feeling that she is worried about the noise not to sure though.

Noise is no problem if you play through a decent set of closed back headphones.

Perhaps she thinks electric guitars are the way to sex, drugs and the devil. Girls love rebels. nomsayinbro? :colone:
Reply 7
Original post by uberteknik
Noise is no problem if you play through a decent set of closed back headphones.

Perhaps she thinks electric guitars are the way to sex, drugs and the devil. Girls love rebels. nomsayinbro? :colone:

What headphones do you recomend and how much should I pay for a decent pair of headphones?
School don't lend the guitars to students apart from at break times and luch times. They only have one acoustic guitar that is left handed and all the rest of the guitars are right handed. Playing upside down is a nightmare and would rather have a left handed guitar what I can take to school. They do lend some other instuments but you have to have lessons for them to lend to you (I rather be self tought though).

Nope I think there are wider instrument lending schemes.

I wouldnt want you playing bass in the house.

Is there some sort of rock school you can go to?

Get a job then buy your own.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Nope I think there are wider instrument lending schemes.

I wouldnt want you playing bass in the house.

Is there some sort of rock school you can go to?

Get a job then buy your own.

If I went to some sort of school of rock I dealt they would have any left handed guitars and it can cost a bit.
Reply 10
I haven't plugged in a bass or guitar in the house for about 6 years, you don't really need to.
If I went to some sort of school of rock I dealt they would have any left handed guitars and it can cost a bit.

Like someone else said, seeing as you are now 16, look into getting a job or something so you can buy your own.
Reply 12
Original post by Emma:-)
Like someone else said, seeing as you are now 16, look into getting a job or something so you can buy your own.

I'm not 16 just yet. I wil be in about six months.
I'm not 16 just yet. I wil be in about six months.

I swear i read somewhere that you were 16, i may have just been seeing things though.
You can still get a paper round or something for now to save up.
I don't blame them to be honest. Instruments are expensive and easily forgotten about it. Plus you're quite old to still be demanding presents.
I'd suggest saving up for your own one and maybe asking them if they'd mind contributing to it. Or ask for money instead of presents and then you can buy what you like.
Same I have always wanted to learn the piano. We had an acoustic guitar somehow (I think prev. owners left it in the attic) but Dad sold it.

He doesn't like music. I wanted to take music lessons in school but he was like Nope. Ah well, maybe when i'm in Uni ill get one myself.
Reply 16
Original post by showaeski
I don't blame them to be honest. Instruments are expensive and easily forgotten about it. Plus you're quite old to still be demanding presents.
I'd suggest saving up for your own one and maybe asking them if they'd mind contributing to it. Or ask for money instead of presents and then you can buy what you like.

I had money for christmas which I am putting towards the guitar I want. It also depends if they will order it. Plus I am kinda music nerd and my parents don't have a clue when it comes to music. They would rather me spend my money on something non musical and they dont want me to have a career in music because they think that it isnt worth it and I wont earn much. Which isnt true depending on what you are looking at, true you can get paid barely anything or nothing at all for a gig. Theres no point to trying and having a career in music and there are some really high paying jobs out there what is far more worth it. My school reports prove that I'm a music nerd, they prove my commitment to music and that I like expanding my knowledge and learing new instuments to the full.
My first acoustic guitar was £40, second hand, right handed and the guitar shop owner restrung it to left for an extra £5! It was massive and awkward but I loved it, paid for it myself from my paper round and it did the job. You don’t need the best or most expensive guitar until you start performing.

I now have a beautiful left handed guitar from germany since it’s so hard to get good ones in the UK. Totally different to what I would have got when I didn’t know anything about guitars! I’d recommend spending less if you want to convince your parents or buy it yourself.
Reply 18
I had money for christmas which I am putting towards the guitar I want. It also depends if they will order it. Plus I am kinda music nerd and my parents don't have a clue when it comes to music. They would rather me spend my money on something non musical and they dont want me to have a career in music because they think that it isnt worth it and I wont earn much. Which isnt true depending on what you are looking at, true you can get paid barely anything or nothing at all for a gig. Theres no point to trying and having a career in music and there are some really high paying jobs out there what is far more worth it. My school reports prove that I'm a music nerd, they prove my commitment to music and that I like expanding my knowledge and learing new instuments to the full.

Ach, you can have a career and still do music. I get paid to do music pretty much every weekend, so even if you don't have a 'career' in it per se, you can still do ok out of it on the side. I was lucky, my Mam and Dad are both big music heads, so whenever I had a musical whim, they sated it. Can;t imagine having parents that aren't interested.

Quick Reply

Latest