The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official 2018 Cambridge Postgraduate Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kafka777
I received an offer (PhD) from Darwin the day after the GAO made me a conditional offer, although I only chose the College because it was a graduate-only one. However, I regretted selecting it after some research and made a case to request a change of preferences before membership was offered; the GAO swiftly rejected it without addressing the points I made by simply saying general things like 'We treat all applicants equally', 'Every applicant has had the opportunity to choose their preferred Colleges', 'You cannot start your studies at Cambridge without a College membership', etc... Still, apart from my needs and interests, I believe it's a nice College and most people like it quite a lot, most people I have spoken to anyway.

Oh! May I know why you wanted to switch colleges? I don't know much about Darwin and can't seem to find a lot of accounts of living there online.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Unsuccessful at Selwyn, but not surprised since it has such a small graduate body and I would much rather have my second choice, Newnham. Anyone know how likely it is to get an offer there?
Reply 162
Original post by sydneyalena
Unsuccessful at Selwyn, but not surprised since it has such a small graduate body and I would much rather have my second choice, Newnham. Anyone know how likely it is to get an offer there?

I put Newnham as my preference and got a place there within minutes of my portal displaying "Seeking College Membership":smile:
Reply 163
Got my email and offer conditions. I was expecting to be required to submit hard copies of references (my referees both used gmails, one forgot to sign a reference, can you imagine??), but GAO does not want me to. Similar experience, anyone?

For the reference:
Applied for MPhil in Sociology of Media and Culture on Dec 6, interviewed on Jan 26, GAO on Feb 21, and got my offer on Mar 8. No idea about the college (Trinity Hall is my top choice), no news on the funding front.
Hey y'all! Happy to have found this!

Program: MPhil in Industrial Systems, Manufacture and Management (ISMM)
Application submitted: Nov 2nd 2017
Interview notification: Nov 28th 2017
Interview: Dec 5th 2017
Online status changed to "under review by degree committee": Feb 13th 2018
Online status changed to "under review by GAO": Feb 20th 2018
Conditional offer made: March 2nd 2018.

So excited! Haven't heard anything about my college though. And since I never thought my application would be successful I didn't apply for Gates...
Any advise concerning funding opportunities for EU residents (Germany) that are still available as of right now?
Hi, has anyone here sent the transcripts to GAO by post? How long did it take for you to see the update on the self-service account after you sent them?

My final transcripts arrived at the GAO on 27th Feb, but my academic conditions are still "outstanding", making me worried. Will GAO notify me if anything goes wrong with my transcripts? Thank you!
Original post by hellopuppy
Oh! May I know why you wanted to switch colleges? I don't know much about Darwin and can't seem to find a lot of accounts of living there online.

Some reasons are quite personal, but some of them had to do with accommodation and (the lack of) funding opportunities. But as I said before, most people seem to like Darwin anyway. I believe you could gather more information from Darwinians on the College's FB page. Good luck!
Original post by zbn1618
Hi, has anyone here sent the transcripts to GAO by post? How long did it take for you to see the update on the self-service account after you sent them?

My final transcripts arrived at the GAO on 27th Feb, but my academic conditions are still "outstanding", making me worried. Will GAO notify me if anything goes wrong with my transcripts? Thank you!

Sent mine last week monday. Should arrive tomorrow. You've got me worried
Original post by fofomorse
Sent mine last week monday. Should arrive tomorrow. You've got me worried

Hey, sorry for that. I am going to start my PhD next month, so I am super worried about this since the failure in meeting the conditions on time will affect my visa application.:frown:
Original post by zbn1618
Hey, sorry for that. I am going to start my PhD next month, so I am super worried about this since the failure in meeting the conditions on time will affect my visa application.:frown:

Don't we have until like June or July to meet our conditions? I won't be getting my official degree results until beginning of June so unless you have a different deadline I wouldn't worry..
Original post by zbn1618

Oh 🙈🙈🙈 that's a horrible situation. Have you tried calling them? I'm not from the UK - I had an issue with KCL and had a British friend call them for me. Issue was sorted in 15 minutes. Fortunately I am doing an Mphil, so visa just requires conditional acceptance, TB screening and that's about it.
Original post by aleatorio
Don't we have until like June or July to meet our conditions? I won't be getting my official degree results until beginning of June so unless you have a different deadline I wouldn't worry..

My future supervisor changed my starting date to next month...
Original post by fofomorse
Oh 🙈🙈🙈 that's a horrible situation. Have you tried calling them? I'm not from the UK - I had an issue with KCL and had a British friend call them for me. Issue was sorted in 15 minutes. Fortunately I am doing an Mphil, so visa just requires conditional acceptance, TB screening and that's about it.

Yeahhh, I decide to call them tomorrow if no update today. I finished my MSc course last September, and my current visa is going to expire on 1th April. I hope to get my visa extended inside the UK instead of going back to my country for the visa issues since that would be more than 10h on the flight for a single trip...
Hi all, Super pleased to find this thread!

Here is my timeline:

Submitted application: December 2nd
Interview held: January 26th
Offer received: January 28th
Found out I was put forward for ESRC funding: February 16th
Accepted into King's: February 20th
Offer from ESRC/Pembroke College for full studentship: March 9th
Accepted: March 12th

Just wondering if there are any other people heading to Pembroke in October?
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys,
Has any Mphi offer holder heard from / got fundings yet?
Original post by Ilaria95
Hey guys,
Has any Mphi offer holder heard from / got fundings yet?

I just found out today that I have been offered a scholarship. My offer is for the MPhil in Philosophy.
Reply 176
Original post by noumenon
I just found out today that I have been offered a scholarship. My offer is for the MPhil in Philosophy.

Congrats, noumenon! What scholarship were you offered, out of interest? This is so great!
Original post by todeon
Congrats, noumenon! What scholarship were you offered, out of interest? This is so great!

The Newton College Masters Award (/Scheme?) I honestly hadn't heard of it until I got the email today - thrilled though.
Original post by zbn1618

Always worth giving them a call!
Original post by lonely grad
Always worth giving them a call!

Will do later today! It is really weird to see no update & no message from them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending