The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
So you actually knew a lot of married women many years ago?

Come on, dont be stupid. You know what I mean. There are records on all this. Divorce rates are extremely higher today than in the past. There are more unmarried women of similar age today than in the past. This could be for a suite of reasons, and sexual liberalisation has been argued to be one of them.
Original post by Wired_1800
If we assume that most men have consensual sex with women, then women in most cases have the final say and control because they are allowing men to have sex with them.

If these women stop allowing men to have sex with them and demand that men treat them better, men will treat them better. The issue is that women are allowing men to treat them like pieces of meat and then crying as victim.

Many years ago, a woman would meet a man, they would court for a period and then get married. Many marriages lasted and women, i think, were generally satisfied. Now, we have this pseudo-liberalised system that have put women in a worse position while exclaiming some sort of victory.

My point is that if a 20 year old man and woman decide to live liberal lifestyles for a while before they settled down. The woman biologically has the next 20 years to do that, whilst the man has the rest of his life.

I read of a story of this 59 year old man marrying a 22 year old and fathering a child. A woman of similar age would be way past her child-rearing age.

I am making this assumption based on the point that women want to have families and settle down. I am not talking about women who do not want to have kids.

It still isn’t within a women’s control to change the behaviour of men. Most men on here seem to be very against women being in control of them (this thread a prime example, protesting against feminism wanting superiority over men) so how are we supposed to stop them? If getting laid as a man is already difficult, that shows that your idea of just making it more difficult doesn’t work. Women being more prudish isn’t going to change mens sexual desires.

Many years ago, people were stuck in loveless relationships with husbands having “business trips” and women pretending that everything was fine when Bill got home from the office much too late. This ideal of happy families is just that, an ideal. The reality was just as sexually deviant as now, it was just swept under the carpet instead of challenged.
...stupid....

Thanks for being mature but this just means, no, you don't actually know anything about the satisfaction of married women many years ago. Historically it has been very difficult for women to get a divorce, legally, religiously and financially. Don't let historical facts get in your way though.
Original post by cat_mac
It still isn’t within a women’s control to change the behaviour of men. Most men on here seem to be very against women being in control of them (this thread a prime example, protesting against feminism wanting superiority over men) so how are we supposed to stop them? If getting laid as a man is already difficult, that shows that your idea of just making it more difficult doesn’t work. Women being more prudish isn’t going to change mens sexual desires.

Many years ago, people were stuck in loveless relationships with husbands having “business trips” and women pretending that everything was fine when Bill got home from the office much too late. This ideal of happy families is just that, an ideal. The reality was just as sexually deviant as now, it was just swept under the carpet instead of challenged.

Women should do their bit and the men will fall in line.
Original post by Axiomasher
Thanks for being mature but this just means, no, you don't actually know anything about the satisfaction of married women many years ago. Historically it has been very difficult for women to get a divorce, legally, religiously and financially. Don't let historical facts get in your way though.

Ok cool, thanks for sharing.
Women should do their bit and the men will fall in line.

Again, women are already doing their bit if it’s hard for men to get laid. If you want to change mens behaviour, that has to come from within. It’s not our job to help you control your urges.
Original post by cat_mac
Again, women are already doing their bit if it’s hard for men to get laid. If you want to change mens behaviour, that has to come from within. It’s not our job to help you control your urges.

It is not hard for men to get laid today compared to the past, it is a lot easier. However, it is out of control for women.
It is not good for anybody. Sleeping around has many emotional, psychological, health and personal risks.

I am not against having sex, but I am against sleeping around. One, to me, is controlled while the other is uncontrolled.

I don't disagree I just don't think it's a blanket bad thing for everyone. Some people are absolutely fine sleeping around. Some people even do it for a living and are perfectly fine with it.

It's not something I'd personally want to do but whatever floats their boat. They can crack on.
Original post by EpicBrum
I don't disagree I just don't think it's a blanket bad thing for everyone. Some people are absolutely fine sleeping around. Some people even do it for a living and are perfectly fine with it.

It's not something I'd personally want to do but whatever floats their boat. They can crack on.

That is a fair point to make, but we should not try to normalise it
Original post by trapking
You contradict yourself ALL the time so I can't take you seriously.

It's Friday, don't make me find many of your posts and post them because there are several (literally) but in case you're genuinely clueless as to where you have contradicted yourself start by looking at the last few pages. Oh also what I find funny I'm positive there was a thread where you said you were not a feminist but today you're saying that you are one...

Which is it? :confused:

I dont know where I have contradicted myself.
I consider myself a feminist.
Come on, dont be stupid. You know what I mean. There are records on all this. Divorce rates are extremely higher today than in the past. There are more unmarried women of similar age today than in the past. This could be for a suite of reasons, and sexual liberalisation has been argued to be one of them.

Is that really true? I heard in the west, it's decreasing. Whilst in the non-west it's increasing. The latter is because it's becoming more acceptable for women to leave their trash partners.
Original post by snowman77
A feminist who believes equality doesn't apply to dating?

No, it's just a preference for a guy to have confidence and approach me first, whats wrong with that?
Original post by loveleest
Is that really true? I heard in the west, it's decreasing. Whilst in the non-west it's increasing. The latter is because it's becoming more acceptable for women to leave their trash partners.

What? Divorce rates are at an all-time high. There are many reasons for it, some of which may include incompatibility. The one major cause is finance where some women appear to be gold-diggers.
Because they want men to sexually harass, instead of woman & they want an excuse for woman to play with each other & frolic around the office & sick gay men on hetrosexual people which is the rest of the world, against them.
What? Divorce rates are at an all-time high. There are many reasons for it, some of which may include incompatibility. The one major cause is finance where some women appear to be gold-diggers.

Women became a strong presence in the workforce. They no longer depended on their husbands to support them. This independence allowed them to leave an unhappy marriage and still provide for themselves.
Divorce also became more acceptable. The guilt and fault of the old divorce laws were gone. As more couples separated, divorce gradually became a normal part of life.
In short, many couples that would have previously remained married now chose divorce.

This is more of the reason^^ I studied divorce/relationships in A level psychology. It's all to do with divorce becoming more acceptable and women leaving their trash partners. For example, if you look at the divorce statistics in the non-western societies, it's because it's becoming more acceptable for women to divorce, before it wasn't acceptable.

I had a housemate from India last year, and she told me that in India, hardly anyone gets a divorce because it's frowned upon. I think it's slowly changing though, as the world becoming more westernised, women are having the freedom to do whatever they want, and have the opportunity to leave their good for nothing, trash partners. And I think that is beautiful.

I don't understand how wanting a man with money is gold-digging. Surely, most marriages end up with children. Children are expensive. If the guy has a **** salary, how will he provide efficiently? I don't think basic needs in a relationships, means you are gold-digger. I think that's a shame to say that and especially untrue. A lot of women (in particular black women) always date down. So how is it true that gold digging is the reason? ;/ It's funny because guys would rather choose an attractive women with an okay salary and personality. Than a plain women with a great personality and good career. But woman hardly complain?
(edited 6 years ago)
Women became a strong presence in the workforce. They no longer depended on their husbands to support them. This independence allowed them to leave an unhappy marriage and still provide for themselves.
Divorce also became more acceptable. The guilt and fault of the old divorce laws were gone. As more couples separated, divorce gradually became a normal part of life.
In short, many couples that would have previously remained married now chose divorce.

This is more of the reason^^ I studied divorce/relationships in A level psychology. It's all to do with divorce becoming more acceptable and women leaving their trash partners. For example, if you look at the divorce statistics in the non-western societies, it's because it's becoming more acceptable for women to divorce, before it wasn't acceptable.

I had a housemate from India last year, and she told me that in India, hardly anyone gets a divorce because it's frowned upon. I think it's slowly changing though, as the world becoming more westernised, women are having the freedom to do whatever they want, and have the opportunity to leave their good for nothing, trash partners. And I think that is beautiful.

I don't understand how wanting a man with money is gold-digging. Surely, most marriages end up with children. Children are expensive. If the guy has a **** salary, how will he provide efficiently? I don't think basic needs in a relationships, means you are gold-digger. I think that's a shame to say that and especially untrue. A lot of women (in particular black women) always date down. So how is it true that gold digging is the reason? ;/ It's funny because guys would rather choose an attractive women with an okay salary and personality. Than a plain women with a great personality and good career. But woman hardly complain?

This is BS.
This is BS.

LMAO WHAT!?
You are telling me that what I learnt as part of my A level is false? Maybe you should call up exam boards and complain?
LMAO WHAT!?
You are telling me that what I learnt as part of my A level is false? Maybe you should call up exam boards and complain?

Not everything you learn is true. Be careful.

We learned about how the British Empire was a great thing. When i got to uni, i realised how much i was lied to.

Source?
Not everything you learn is true. Be careful.

We learned about how the British Empire was a great thing. When i got to uni, i realised how much i was lied to.

I understand that. But I don't understand how what I said is bs. In the west divorce rates are much higher. And you reduce that to gold digging? wow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending