The Student Room Group

Why do people do arts subjects when FAME and STEM subjects get paid much more?

arts subjects

geo at oxford makes 22 k

econ at notts makes 28 k

Scroll to see replies

A STEMM thread on TSR.

Well I never.
Econ isn't STEM, it's a social science. If econ is stem then so is Politics, or middle eastern studies. You actually messed yourself up here because assuming Geo=Physical Geo then Geo is actually a Science/Stem. So you've gone against the point you were trying to make

Outside of Engineering, traditional stem doesn't mean much unless you want to be a scientist. A physics degree from Nott won't beat history from Oxbridge. Either way people can study what they want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Because they enjoy it? I suppose that if your work feels like a hobby you don't need the extra money to enjoy things outside the work you do.
Because not everyone aspires to be an engineer, scientist or work in the STEM field? If it's what they enjoy then what's it to you? More money for you to get paid with.
Personally doing a science or maths related job would make me utterly miserable. I’m looking to go into media or film, may not work out but worth it for me.
Also, money isn't the only motivator (according to Haslow and his experiment).

Spoiler

Reply 7
I’ve seen more people fail to get jobs in the field in the science and maths field than art based/social science subjects. Just because they are higher paid doesn’t mean there’s a lot of them going - plus nowadays more people are going to low ranking universities for STEM but are being taken out by those from oxbridge and RG because their subjects are too commonplace and not as rare as they first thought.
Yeah it may look impressive and IF you get a job in that field it can be well paid, but unless you enjoy it, have good experience to back it up (which is hard to get in these fields unless you have social links or a placement year at university), and can beat out the competition from high rankers, then you’re in no better position than those doing art or non STEM subjects.
Like someone else said, future income isn’t necessarily a driving factor when choosing a career path. Also you wouldn’t really want to choose a path that you’re terrible at.
Because people follow their hearts.
Also people don't do stem degrees just because they'll be able to make money...
What a boring world it would be if everyone ignored their interests to follow a single “approved” study and career path.

(Do you really think stem would still attract a premium if everyone studied it? If you do then you might want to work a bit more on your economics studies).
Education isn't the only route in attaining money and success as there are many college and university dropouts that have aspired to become businessmen/businesswomen and now have their own businesses which are thriving. In my opinion, universities usually decline more students that have picked STEM subjects as opposed to those that have opted for courses within the liberal arts due to the wide competitiveness with science associated subjects (candidates that have opted for science oriented subjects compete with each other too and are viable in getting rejected between themselves by both universities and employers). However, that isn't to say that art related subjects are "naught" and "soft" as some people may perceive them as. I should note that a student that has an art-based degree at a 2:1 or above from the University of Cambridge would be more respected and valued by employers verses a student with a STEM course from the University of Durham (also at a 2:1 or above). This is purely based on the university for the selected person and their background - meaning that their experience(s) and personal statement are of high caliber and are worth investing in by universities.
I was pushed by my parents to go into a more 'safe' area, and to take up a 'safer' degree, but I'm currently about to go to University to study journalism, and pursue a career in music on the side, and would never even dream of having a career or getting an education in the FAME or STEM field. I'm an extremely creative person, and for me, the subjects that I would have had to do to go into a course or career in STEM and FAME were just so ridiculously boring to me that I can't even begin to imagine how much I would've hated a course in them.
Not to mention that money isn't my motivator. So long as I make enough to keep a roof over my head, and put food in my mouth, while working a job I enjoy, I'm more than happy to work in the arts and the liberal arts.
People do what they want to do. If you choose a job just because of the pay, you're gonna be miserable. Of course, you have jobs that pay better, and if that is where your passion lies, so much the better. But if your passion lies elsewhere, don't throw away the majority of your life for some extra cash. You'll have extra money but you won't have the spirit to spend it.
Because people choose things they enjoy. If they enjoy arts subjects they may well pick them over STEM and FAME subjects. There's nothing wrong with it; not everything in the world has to be about money.
Reply 16
Original post by JustACoincidence
Because people choose things they enjoy. If they enjoy arts subjects they may well pick them over STEM and FAME subjects. There's nothing wrong with it; not everything in the world has to be about money.

it is my problem when my taxes pay their benefits
Original post by veeraxox
it is my problem when my taxes pay their benefits

so get elected and change government policy instead of moaning on a student website.

How much tax do you pay at the moment?
Original post by Know Your Enemy
Also, money isn't the only motivator (according to Haslow and his experiment).

Spoiler

Shouldn't that be Maslow?
Original post by uberteknik
Shouldn't that be Maslow?

Yeah, excuse the typo. Don't know I put a H...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending