The Student Room Group

Why do people do arts subjects when FAME and STEM subjects get paid much more?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Edgy.
Not everyone can do STEMs, no point in doing it if your crap at maths and science. Having a 1st or 2:1 in an arts is better than a 3rd or fail in a STEM imo.

Also is FAME now in the same league as STEM? Or was that just made up on here?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Know Your Enemy
Also, money isn't the only motivator (according to Haslow and his experiment).

Spoiler

i thinks its meant to be Maslow
Original post by Keslo
i thinks its meant to be Maslow

This has already been pointed out. It was a typo.
The world would be very boring if everybody becomes an engineer, doctor, scientist etc. It's not about the money, it's about doing something they personally enjoy :smile:
Original post by RedGiant
I remember you making a thread about how you got accepted for the physics course on uniq...

Lol definitely not me, not taken any science or maths a levels. Maybe a similar name?
Original post by mature student
Econ isn't STEM, it's a social science. If econ is stem then so is Politics, or middle eastern studies.

There is so much mathematics in it that this is just plainly false. Not that that is necessarily how it should be, but as it stands it is far closer to a STEM subject than those two you mention.

Also, I think people overrate the importance of a degree in becoming X. In some areas, yes you do need them and yes they do correlate directly to what you want to become. Yet doing a degree in business studies won't make you an entrepreneur, and doing a degree in fashion design or acting won't make you a designer or actor, respectively. In the end they are a means of studying a subject, no more, no less.

Original post by veeraxox
it is my problem when my taxes pay their benefits

I agree on this point. I don't see why these courses should be subsidised.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 27
FAME

I'm gonna live foreverrrr
what is FAME?
I know what STEM means and also STEAM but what the heck does FAME mean...?
I'd certainly take a lifetime of Rock n' Roll over a career in finance :biggrin:
Original post by gjd800
FAME

I'm gonna live foreverrrr

Been singing that in my head since I read the title! :danceboy:
Original post by veeraxox
arts subjects

geo at oxford makes 22 k

econ at notts makes 28 k

Because I hate science, maths, engineering and art is what I succeed in and what makes me happy and contains skills that I want to grow in? Also without artists we wouldn't have buildings, clothes, theatres, films, TV shows, social medi, music, concerts, even things like birthday cards. Someone's got to do it.
Reply 33
I'm gonna learn how to fly
passion.

Unless they're doing art at oxbridge then they'll probably get elected somewhere along the line..
Original post by PQ
What a boring world it would be if everyone ignored their interests to follow a single “approved” study and career path.

(Do you really think stem would still attract a premium if everyone studied it? If you do then you might want to work a bit more on your economics studies).

If everyone studied STEM the drop out rate would probably be 90%
Reply 36
Original post by cat_mac
Been singing that in my head since I read the title! :danceboy:

You know the score.
I was in fact referring to architects but sure thing Night King
Hahah wow this superiority complex is intense, without architects engineers would be nothing, without engineers architects would be nothing. Stop measuring the value of things off how much maths is involved.
Reply 39
Too easy :laugh: :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending