The Student Room Group

I'm doomed.. there's no way..

I have my first of 2 mocks on Monday.. I've been revising like crazy but it's not working... I'm not naturally gifted at biology, I'm more of a social science/humanities person.

I don't know what to do!

My teacher doesn't believe in me.. for example she said to my table "I expect A's and A*'s in these mocks from all of you with the exception of [my name]".. I just want to prove her wrong, and more importantly prove myself wrong!

She gave us a 'revision list' for each paper..

Paper 1:
- Cell Structure
- Enzymes
- Cell Replication
- DNA
- Taxonomy
- Membranes and biological molecules
- Cell and Transport
- Immunology and viruses

We haven't done much exam practice so far so I don't really remember mark schemes.

Can anyone offer any advice? Anything helps

Scroll to see replies

I was actually in quite a similar position as you but I literally just crammed and revised like hell and ended up getting one of the highest grades (which is an improvement from normally being average / one of the lowest)
I can literally help you with just over half of this list tbh, some i do not get taught in my school but what I know I can help if you are up for it? In my mock I got a B i was one mark off of an A if that helps you decide. message me if u want my help!
Me again... i can do six of these topics!
The thing is that you'll need to be doing practice A-Level biology questions, as knowledge of the content required is half of what is required of you. Specific phrases and ways of structuring your answers are also really important, so it's crucial that you get some past paper practice as soon as possible. They ensure your understanding, whilst also highlighting your weaker areas. I'd focus on your weaker points this weekend, as you'll essentially be earning more marks than if you were to go over your stronger areas. Oh, and don't give me that nonsense about how you're not a sciences person. No one is born an anything person. You have as much potential to do as well in biology as you do in humanities based subjects. You're mindset is holding you back. Good luck!
Original post by Brodiemcm2003
Me again... i can do six of these topics!

How are you going to help him?
Reply 6
Original post by HotDetermination
Oh, and don't give me that nonsense about how you're not a sciences person. No one is born an anything person. You have as much potential to do as well in biology as you do in humanities based subjects. You're mindset is holding you back.

It's true though. I only picked biology because I had to pick a 3rd A-Level, didn't want to do a btech plus it linked with psychology which interests me most.

If I enjoyed it, I would do better I'm sure.
Do past papers. They are the holy grail. Or one of them anyway. Mark yourself and note where you get questions wrong, revise those topics. Then do another past paper.
Original post by Traore
It's true though. I only picked biology because I had to pick a 3rd A-Level, didn't want to do a btech plus it linked with psychology which interests me most.

If I enjoyed it, I would do better I'm sure.

You've got to find a way to make it interesting to you then. Biology and psychology link really well with one another, perhaps you could look into the biochemistry behind certain psychological effects for instance. This would most definitely stimulate your revision, as you'd be eager to learn more content. Besides, your main priority should be acquiring as much knowledge as you can before your exam. You should probably try and find a way to make your biology revision more engaging afterwards.
Reply 9
You've got to find a way to make it interesting to you then. Biology and psychology link really well with one another, perhaps you could look into the biochemistry behind certain psychological effects for instance. This would most definitely stimulate your revision, as you'd be eager to learn more content. Besides, your main priority should be acquiring as much knowledge as you can before your exam. You should probably try and find a way to make your biology revision more engaging afterwards.

Hmmm..
Reply 10
Original post by trou_noir
Do past papers. They are the holy grail. Or one of them anyway. Mark yourself and note where you get questions wrong, revise those topics. Then do another past paper.

Little time :frown:
Original post by joyoustele
How are you going to help him?

I can message him and help him, wake up its 2018 there is other ways to get around things
Original post by Traore
Hmmm..

I'm right, believe it! If I didn't enjoy my subjects, I'm not quite sure how I would revise for them. Anyways, you should establish a plan on how you're going to use your weekend in the most productive way possible. Have you thought about using different methods of revision? It would most certainly make you more inclined to do some revision.
Original post by Traore
Little time :frown:

Even if you only do a couple it will still help to familiarise yourself with the questions.

But you have the whole weekend to do past papers. They are revision in themselves. And if you haven’t done any exam practice before then it will be more beneficial than going over techniques that you don’t feel have worked so far.
Original post by Brodiemcm2003
I can message him and help him, wake up its 2018 there is other ways to get around things

I wasnt being rude,(sorry if you thought I was) I just wanted to know how you would help him, like what will you do?
Reply 15
I'm right, believe it! If I didn't enjoy my subjects, I'm not quite sure how I would revise for them. Anyways, you should establish a plan on how you're going to use your weekend in the most productive way possible. Have you thought about using different methods of revision? It would most certainly make you more inclined to do some revision.

It's hard for me to enjoy it. I make revision timetables but it's difficult to stick to because I get so stuck with most topics, I probably need a new revision method.
Reply 16
Original post by trou_noir
Even if you only do a couple it will still help to familiarise yourself with the questions.

But you have the whole weekend to do past papers. They are revision in themselves. And if you haven’t done any exam practice before then it will be more beneficial than going over techniques that you don’t feel have worked so far.

I printed a specimen AS paper at school today which has most of the topics from paper 1.. hopefully this is the real paper!
Original post by Traore
It's hard for me to enjoy it. I make revision timetables but it's difficult to stick to because I get so stuck with most topics, I probably need a new revision method.

If you really need help on a topic, feel free to ask here on the TSR. There are loads of biology sweats here, myself included, who will be able to give you a helping hand. DM me if you have any topics you need clearing up and I'll explain it you as best as I can, okay? Have you tried looking for video resources? Have you tried making flashcards? There are many things you can do to improve your religion, variety truly can do wonders if you methods aren't working as well as you'd hoped. I'd get a good night's sleep, so you can wake up refreshed tomorrow morning and enthusiastic to make progress in your A-level biology. You can do it, my dude.
Reply 18
If you really need help on a topic, feel free to ask here on the TSR. There are loads of biology sweats here, myself included, who will be able to give you a helping hand. DM me if you have any topics you need clearing up and I'll explain it you as best as I can, okay? Have you tried looking for video resources? Have you tried making flashcards? There are many things you can do to improve your religion, variety truly can do wonders if you methods aren't working as well as you'd hoped. I'd get a good night's sleep, so you can wake up refreshed tomorrow morning and enthusiastic to make progress in your A-level biology. You can do it, my dude.

Thanks for the motivation Ainsley.. I'll go to sleep, wake up tomorrow and maybe I'll find a fresh starting point in my life. If you have any revision tips/methods that I can try when I wake up then I'd appreciate it.
Original post by Traore
Thanks for the motivation Ainsley.. I'll go to sleep, wake up tomorrow and maybe I'll find a fresh starting point in my life. If you have any revision tips/methods that I can try when I wake up then I'd appreciate it.

Maybe you could tell me how you revise? I'll give you some pointers about your revision. I can't give you a whole revision schedule, that's something you'll have to figure out on your own. Independence is key here, one thing may work for you but not for another dude ygm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending