The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Meh, I don't want to go to any of those universities.
Original post by GapYaar
I know you're unsure of what I'm saying, you're in a privileged bubble, don't worry about it.

"Privileged bubble", coming from a person who's name is gap year.
Original post by ilyacarey
"Privileged bubble", coming from a person who's name is gap year.

Which I had to take in order to save money to be able to go to university. You're incredibly embarrassing and naive.
Original post by nexttime
None of those things suggest anything about ability at all. In fact, you've made her sound very naturally talented and exactly what Oxbridge are after!

Oxbridge are after students that work hard.. Naturally talented students crumble after gcse because they actually need to put in work.
Reply 64
Original post by Sanjith Hegde123
Oxbridge are after students that work hard.. Naturally talented students crumble after gcse because they actually need to put in work.

You are replying to an Oxbridge medic...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
That's a lot of posts! :gasp:

Also @Doonesbury do you know where statistics can be found for Oxford, Medicine, AFTER selection has been done for interview? So it shows how many people are getting interviews per place?

I am finding difficulty in finding them..
Reply 66
Original post by xxvvvxxc
That's a lot of posts! :gasp:

Also @Doonesbury do you know where statistics can be found for Oxford, Medicine, AFTER selection has been done for interview? So it shows how many people are getting interviews per place?

I am finding difficulty in finding them..

Here?
https://public.tableau.com/views/UoO_UG_Admissions2/AcceptanceRate?%3Aembed=y&%3Adisplay_count=yes&%3AshowTabs=y&%3AshowVizHome=no
Reply 67

I mean, you know Cambridge have a typical 1 space for every 5 applicants, any idea what Oxford's stats on that are after the candidates have been shortlisted? Are they similar or does Oxford have more people per place post selection?
I mean, you know Cambridge have a typical 1 space for every 5 applicants, any idea what Oxford's stats on that are after the candidates have been shortlisted? Are they similar or does Oxford have more people per place post selection?

Their website says:
Interviewed: 28%
Successful: 10%
So about 3 interviewees per place
Reply 69
Original post by dinglebells
Their website says:
Interviewed: 28%
Successful: 10%
So about 3 interviewees per place

They haven't published this year's statistics yet. Any idea when they normally do?
They haven't published this year's statistics yet. Any idea when they normally do?

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

425 interviews, 163 offers
so 2.6 to 1
Reply 71

It doesn't make much difference from year-to-year.

I'm not clear if you are an applicant, or considering being an applicant. (Sorry if you've mentioned this already.)
Reply 72

Ah thanks a lot!! :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by Doonesbury
It doesn't make much difference from year-to-year.

I'm not clear if you are an applicant, or considering being an applicant. (Sorry if you've mentioned this already.)

Yeah, it's fine, I'm considering being an applicant and after going through the previous threads, I saw several comments on how it's equally as hard to get into both, but I thought otherwise, so tried making this thread which kinda escalated haha!
Reply 74

From the link, looking at Medicine, Oxford had:
In 2016: 1,675 applicants, 428 shortlisted (interviewed), 165 offers, 154 acceptances.

And Cambridge
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
In 2016: 1,274 applicants, assume 75% interviewed= 955, 290 offers, 269 acceptances.
Reply 75
Yeah, it's fine, I'm considering being an applicant and after going through the previous threads, I saw several comments on how it's equally as hard to get into both, but I thought otherwise, so tried making this thread which kinda escalated haha!

Do you hold, or still awaiting, offers from other medschools?

If so, take up one of those offers. There's no point rejecting offers and then applying to Oxbridge. There's no guarantee Oxbridge will make an offer, and a high risk you'll end up with no offers at all.
Reply 76
Do you hold, or still awaiting, offers from other medschools?

If so, take up one of those offers. There's no point rejecting offers and then applying to Oxbridge. There's no guarantee Oxbridge will make an offer, and a high risk you'll end up with no offers at all.

Noooo I mean I am still a year 12 student in aims of applying to Oxbridge!

(Also if I was in that position I would defo take the offer I have, wouldn't risk it again :smile: )
Reply 77
Noooo I mean I am still a year 12 student in aims of applying to Oxbridge!

(Also if I was in that position I would defo take the offer I have, wouldn't risk it again :smile: )

Ok... but what's this about then?

I had my interview today and honestly I don't know how it has gone. My interviewers gave no expression nor did they react to anything I said, I am not sure if this is an indication of whether I did bad or if they just cannot say anything? :s-smilie:
Reply 78
Ok... but what's this about then?

That's my sister, this is her account I've kinda taken over after she's gotten into medical school this year :smile:

I am kinda wanting to follow her steps but feel like I can push myself into applying for a couple of BMAT unis while she played safe with all UKCAT, so there's an update on that, interviews really can't tell much and even at unis like Southampton it seems!
Reply 79
That's my sister, this is her account I've kinda taken over after she's gotten into medical school this year :smile:

I am kinda wanting to follow her steps but feel like I can push myself into applying for a couple of BMAT unis while she played safe with all UKCAT, so there's an update on that, interviews really can't tell much and even at unis like Southampton it seems!

Ah! ok :smile:

So, *you* aren't a statistic. And you aren't your sister :wink:
You are you. Don't overthink admissions stats. (And you should have your own TSR account :wink: )

Apply to medschools *you* like. If you prefer the course at Oxford, apply there. If you prefer Cambridge, apply there. And you can sit BMAT earlier so that can help you decide if you want to go for 1 or 2 BMAT universities (although Oxford doesn't accept the September sitting).

Latest

Trending

Trending