The Student Room Group

Moving away from home for uni

Hey guys,

I am planning on going to university this September and I am moving around 4 1/2 hours away from where I live! So I was just wondering how far have you moved/are planning on moving?
Reply 1
Original post by Emma Holmes
Hey guys,

I am planning on going to university this September and I am moving around 4 1/2 hours away from where I live! So I was just wondering how far have you moved/are planning on moving?

I moved 4 hours away for my undergrad in one direction, then did the same again in another direction for postgrad :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lilGem
I moved 4 hours away for my undergrad in one direction, then did the same again in another direction for postgrad :smile:

When you really want to get away from home :lol:

I'll be about 40-60 minutes away.. Not bothered about distance just happens all my uni options are somewhat local in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 3
Original post by 8472
When you really want to get away from home :lol:

I'll be about 40-60 minutes away.. Not bothered about distance just happens all my uni options are somewhat local in the grand scheme of things.

Tbf, it's meant I've had to do long distance for 3 1/2 years out of a 4 1/2 year relationship :redface:
Hey guys,

390 miles, about 6 hrs travel in total :tongue:
Original post by lilGem

Ah cool - Just curious, why did you choose to go to a different uni for your postgrad (most of the people I know either stay at the same uni or move closer to home)?
Original post by Blue_Cow
390 miles, about 6 hrs travel in total :tongue:

Oh wow! How did you cope with moving so far away? My parents are super strict and so I've been babied most my life (I'm only just learning how to cook and iron:s-smilie:) and so I'm a little nervous about settling in.
Reply 7
Ah cool - Just curious, why did you choose to go to a different uni for your postgrad (most of the people I know either stay at the same uni or move closer to home)?

My undergrad uni didn't offer the course I wanted for postgrad :smile: Sheffield (where I'm at now) is also much better suited to me in terms of assessment so I'm doing much better than I anticipated
Oh wow! How did you cope with moving so far away? My parents are super strict and so I've been babied most my life (I'm only just learning how to cook and iron:s-smilie:) and so I'm a little nervous about settling in.

It didn't really feel any different. The only weird thing was not having to tell my parents where I'm going and what time I'm coming back :tongue:
I moved about a 5 hour car journey away.
Reply 10
I originally moved about a 6 hour drive away from home, at first I was really excited and glad to be flying the nest but when I arrived at the uni straight away I realised what a massive mistake I had made. I won't lie, I lasted 5 days there before my mum came to pick me back up. I took a gap year and re-evaluated things and then moved away at the end of that year to another uni. Now I live an hour and a half train journey away and I'm so glad I chose to leave my previous uni, definitely the right decision for me.
I live in Greece and I will study in Paisley (Glasgow). My brother did a similar move: he left Greece to study in Southampton. We talk a lot, so I know what to expect. Actually I am glad that I am leaving.
Original post by Eirini Kakari
I live in Greece and I will study in Paisley (Glasgow). My brother did a similar move: he left Greece to study in Southampton. We talk a lot, so I know what to expect. Actually I am glad that I am leaving.

Well I'm glad it's working out for you :smile:
Original post by DrawTheLine
I moved about a 5 hour car journey away.

How did you find moving away?
Original post by B_24
I originally moved about a 6 hour drive away from home, at first I was really excited and glad to be flying the nest but when I arrived at the uni straight away I realised what a massive mistake I had made. I won't lie, I lasted 5 days there before my mum came to pick me back up. I took a gap year and re-evaluated things and then moved away at the end of that year to another uni. Now I live an hour and a half train journey away and I'm so glad I chose to leave my previous uni, definitely the right decision for me.

I'm glad things have worked out in the end :smile: For yourself, was it the distance that made you change your mind, or the uni itself (just curious)?
How did you find moving away?

It was fine. I don't get homesick so it's not a problem to be so far away.
I'll be moving 450 miles but because of inefficient routes it's like a 15 hour drive! Luckily low-cost airlines exist :smile:
Reply 17
I'm glad things have worked out in the end :smile: For yourself, was it the distance that made you change your mind, or the uni itself (just curious)?

In all honesty it was a bit of both. The uni was a lot more dull than I expected it to be, there wasn't much night life and the people that I was living with were so different to the type of people that I was used to being around. Also I think I was way too hasty with my decision to move so far away. I had visted the uni before but I was with my best friend and her mum so I didn't really notice how much time we spent in the car travelling there. However when I went to move in it was my mum that took me there and only then did I fully appreciate the distance that was covered between my hometown and the uni. A couple of days after I arrived everyone was already talking about visitng home at weekends because they all only lived an hour or two down the road and the more I thought about this, the more uncomfortable I was with my situation. Now that I am in a differnt uni and not too close to home yet not too far away I am so much happier. I still fully stand by my decision to leave the other uni, it was 100% the right choice to make for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending