The Student Room Group

Mature student, no qualifications: being considered on an individual basis. Anyone?

Hi there,
I have applied to LJMU to do criminology and sociology with foundation year, I’m 30 years old, 3 children, no qualifications, anyway LMJU said they’d consider me and I just had to apply through ucas and do a personal statement.
I’ve had the acknowledgment email from LMJU, my question is - who else got accepted with similar circumstances? I’m so nervous!!!
Reply 1
Original post by magicmoonbeams
Hi there,
I have applied to LJMU to do criminology and sociology with foundation year, I’m 30 years old, 3 children, no qualifications, anyway LMJU said they’d consider me and I just had to apply through ucas and do a personal statement.
I’ve had the acknowledgment email from LMJU, my question is - who else got accepted with similar circumstances? I’m so nervous!!!
There are plenty of people who have got into Higher Education with similar backgrounds to yours, but it is unlikely that you'll find someone on TSR who has successfully applied for the same course as you :smile:.

I'd be extremely surprised if the uni didn't call you for an interview, having said they would consider your application, so you will need to give some thought to this. One of things they'll want particular reassurance about is your ability to cope with uni level study. You say you have no qualifications - does that mean you have no A levels or equivalent? Even if you do have A levels, most unis would be looking for applicants to have done something (perhaps an OU course) academic in the last three years. It may be that for a course including a foundation year LJMU is more relaxed about this, but they will still want to know how and why you've decided on this particular course and what you have done/are doing to prepare yourself for it.
Original post by Minerva
There are plenty of people who have got into Higher Education with similar backgrounds to yours, but it is unlikely that you'll find someone on TSR who has successfully applied for the same course as you :smile:.

I'd be extremely surprised if the uni didn't call you for an interview, having said they would consider your application, so you will need to give some thought to this. One of things they'll want particular reassurance about is your ability to cope with uni level study. You say you have no qualifications - does that mean you have no A levels or equivalent? Even if you do have A levels, most unis would be looking for applicants to have done something (perhaps an OU course) academic in the last three years. It may be that for a course including a foundation year LJMU is more relaxed about this, but they will still want to know how and why you've decided on this particular course and what you have done/are doing to prepare yourself for it.

Yes it does say mature applicants may be invited to an interview.
I have done a course with the OU called People, work & society, it is worthless (30 credits) outside of the OU. This course finishes in May.
I did write a fair bit on my personal statement about why I wanted to study the course.
Thank you for your reply:smile: now to stop obsessively checking ucas track :colondollar:
Reply 3
Yes it does say mature applicants may be invited to an interview.
I have done a course with the OU called People, work & society, it is worthless (30 credits) outside of the OU. This course finishes in May.
I did write a fair bit on my personal statement about why I wanted to study the course.
Thank you for your reply:smile: now to stop obsessively checking ucas track :colondollar:
In terms of credit transfer, yes, but it is making all the difference to your application. Without it they wouldn't even have considered you. Good luck!
Original post by Minerva
In terms of credit transfer, yes, but it is making all the difference to your application. Without it they wouldn't even have considered you. Good luck!

Thank you! I’m so nervous I’ll be rejected, although I have applied for a place on the “go higher” access course at the university of Liverpool if I don’t, so I have a back up plan 🙂 xx
I have done a course with the OU called People, work & society, it is worthless (30 credits) outside of the OU

Worthless is a strong word, it might do some good - something is better than nothing. But yes, OU 'Access' modules are not very useful (they are level 0, which means they can't even be counted towards an Open University qualification). I think they are poorly named - an alternative to Access to HE courses, they are not. That said, Open University modules (level 1 or higher) are frequently used to gain admission into university. If you are rejected by LJMU/Liverpool (and you should remain positive because there's every chance you will be accepted), then I would strongly advise you to take another OU module and re-apply.

For what it's worth, I was accepted by all the universities I applied to and I had almost no qualifications apart from a few OU modules.
Original post by Snufkin
Worthless is a strong word, it might do some good - something is better than nothing. But yes, OU 'Access' modules are not very useful (they are level 0, which means they can't even be counted towards an Open University qualification). I think they are poorly named - an alternative to Access to HE courses, they are not. That said, Open University modules (level 1 or higher) are frequently used to gain admission into university. If you are rejected by LJMU/Liverpool (and you should remain positive because there's every chance you will be accepted), then I would strongly advise you to take another OU module and re-apply.

For what it's worth, I was accepted by all the universities I applied to and I had almost no qualifications apart from a few OU modules.

I did just mean worthless in terms of credit transfers, not to degrade anything! This is level 0, so can’t be transferred. I don’t want to do any other modules with the OU I will just hopefully be accepted on the go higher course at UoL and then reapply to LMJU for next September 🙂 that’s the plan anyway! Xx
I did just mean worthless in terms of credit transfers, not to degrade anything! This is level 0, so can’t be transferred. I don’t want to do any other modules with the OU I will just hopefully be accepted on the go higher course at UoL and then reapply to LMJU for next September 🙂 that’s the plan anyway! Xx

Let us know how you get on and good luck!
Original post by Snufkin
Let us know how you get on and good luck!

I will do and thank you!
The wait is horrible! Good they didn’t reject me straight away I suppose.
Well done on getting in yourself x
Best of luck.

I was in a similar situation when I restarted a few years ago, the entry needs weren't too high but i still was short, i basically had zero and was applying solely on being a mature student and having a wee bit of practical experience. I did a few short courses as well, (unrelated to the field) Through OU and a few free online providers, none of them gave any formal credits towards what I wanted to do but it demonstrated to the admissions people that I was making preparation efforts to get my study skills back up with regard to writing, time management, peer reviewed work ect, and it gave me more confidence in writing and talking about my application, deffo worth my while.
Original post by StriderHort
Best of luck.

I was in a similar situation when I restarted a few years ago, the entry needs weren't too high but i still was short, i basically had zero and was applying solely on being a mature student and having a wee bit of practical experience. I did a few short courses as well, (unrelated to the field) Through OU and a few free online providers, none of them gave any formal credits towards what I wanted to do but it demonstrated to the admissions people that I was making preparation efforts to get my study skills back up with regard to writing, time management, peer reviewed work ect, and it gave me more confidence in writing and talking about my application, deffo worth my while.

That’s good to know, thank you! Did you get in to university?
That’s good to know, thank you! Did you get in to university?

More or less, I was accepted to college first then uni where I am now :smile:
Original post by StriderHort
More or less, I was accepted to college first then uni where I am now :smile:

Brilliant! What are you studying?
Horticulture up in Scotland, in my 2nd/HND year just now :smile: As said I started at college first but the logic is the same, I had to talk my way in and the extra wee courses definitely gave me an advantage even though they didn't 'officially' count. (They really were in some random stuff as well, Astrobiology, Digital Audio, Energy, just things I had a wee bit of interest in).

I was about the same age when I came back and i'd say study skills and commitment are the main things they look for in mature students, i've found the overall experience good and they're happy to have people that are there because they really want to.
Just to update, I got a conditional offer! The condition is I successfully complete the open university course I’m doing
Just to update, I got a conditional offer! The condition is I successfully complete the open university course I’m doing
Excellent - well done :biggrin:
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending