The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Snowflake parents in denial.
"You're fat! You should lose weight!" Vs. "I'd like to invite you to [insert recreational activity here]." I know which one is less likely to offend yet some will be offended by both :colone:
Obesity causes according to the NHS

it can lead to a number of serious and potentially life-threatening conditions, such as:

type 2 diabetes

some types of cancer, such as breast cancer and bowel cancer

Obesity can also affect your quality of life and lead to psychological problems, such as depression and low self-esteem .

However some stupid people (*cough* feminists *cough*) say like Stephanie Abraham that say " Fat is beautiful, if someone wants to be fat then let them"

I am an advocate for freedom but children must be taught to diet and exercise otherwise the obesity problem in the UK will continue, why the Headteacher is being criticised is beyond me.
Apparently we aren’t allowed to say something that’s for someone’s own good now...
Also in the article a lady claims this langauage can have a devastating impact on children. But the head sent the letter to the parents, so unless the parents showed their children the letters..
Absolutely ridiculous.
That isn't fat shaming. He didn't say anything insulting. He literally just said the truth. That said I don't think being overweight or obese makes you a bad person, it's just a health issue is all that is perfectly possible to sort out with a good diet and plenty of exercise. I mean I can't really preach about this since I don't have the healthiest lifestyle, just got a high metabolism haha.
"By the age of 11, 43 per cent of them were classified overweight or obese."

Horrific. It was seen as shameful to let your children get fat when I was a kid and there were maybe 1 or 2 fat kids per class.
Fat, LGBT, trans...What western society becomes?
Encouraging these tragic youngsters to lose weight is far more important than teaching them inaccurate information about the Vikings or making them dress up as Harry Potter characters.
Original post by Chucke1992
Fat, LGBT, trans...What western society becomes?

Illiterate, apparently.
Everyone these days is getting heccled for haing an opinion, the headmaster could'nt have said it in a nicer way as that would have undermined the issue
Reply 13
Britain is far too fat already

I think he did a good thing, those parents need a reality check

Also the fatter Britain becomes the more calls there are for sugar taxes and other stuff to stop people getting fat. They've already cut down the size of chocolate bars significantly from when I was a kid. A mars bar in the past was a lot bigger......, it actually used to fill you up.

When they drop the size by like 25% they don't drop the price by 25% and it's every single consumer who ends up getting robbed.

Overweight people should be encouraged to loose weight, having lots of people overweight negatively effects EVERYONE...
Original post by Zargabaath
Illiterate, apparently.

But it's ironic that the ones who are trying to enforce all this things (and respect to them) are the literate ones (more or less educated). Less smart people are prefer other things like religion, anti-vaccines and traditional values. Though again a lot of people want to be fit...
When i get the train past milton Keynes it seems like the majority of people I see are overweight. So maybe its a problem for the region.

I don't think its the headteachers job to tell parents this, but its not fat shaming.
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Obesity causes according to the NHS

it can lead to a number of serious and potentially life-threatening conditions, such as:

type 2 diabetes

some types of cancer, such as breast cancer and bowel cancer

Obesity can also affect your quality of life and lead to psychological problems, such as depression and low self-esteem .

However some stupid people (*cough* feminists *cough*) say like Stephanie Abraham that say " Fat is beautiful, if someone wants to be fat then let them"

I am an advocate for freedom but children must be taught to diet and exercise otherwise the obesity problem in the UK will continue, why the Headteacher is being criticised is beyond me.

Don't call feminists stupid.
"Britons are being encouraged to stick to 400 calories at breakfast, and 600 calories for both lunch and dinner"

This caught my eye, new "guidelines" for us. What rubbish. The average male should consume 2500 calories a day, the above is 1600. I'm over 6 foot so mine will be closer to 3k, I'm skinny as it is, I'd starve on these guidelines.
Original post by NotNotBatman
When i get the train past milton Keynes it seems like the majority of people I see are overweight. So maybe its a problem for the region.

I don't think its the headteachers job to tell parents this, but its not fat shaming.

But the schools get blamed if the kids are overweight these days.
Original post by Andrew97
But the schools get blamed if the kids are overweight these days.

By whom?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending