The Student Room Group

Surviving without a working oven

So we recently moved and the old owners kindly left a gas cooker but only the hob works on it and we can't get a new one till we've redone the kitchen, so need ideas of what to make with just a slower cooker, hob and a microwave.
Original post by claireestelle
So we recently moved and the old owners kindly left a gas cooker but only the hob works on it and we can't get a new one till we've redone the kitchen, so need ideas of what to make with just a slower cooker, hob and a microwave.

Memememe.

Get a Panasonic all in one microwave as they have grill and oven. Look on ebay and be patient.

Btw you can make soups an anything in a pan or stir fries/ anything chines or curries etc. Its not that big a deal without an oven.

BTW llook at this. One of the most stupid articles ever, but seemed appropriate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5483795/The-women-hottest-middle-class-kitchen-craze-four-ovens.html
Original post by 999tigger
Memememe.

Get a Panasonic all in one microwave as they have grill and oven. Look on ebay and be patient.

Btw you can make soups an anything in a pan or stir fries/ anything chines or curries etc. Its not that big a deal without an oven.

BTW llook at this. One of the most stupid articles ever, but seemed appropriate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5483795/The-women-hottest-middle-class-kitchen-craze-four-ovens.html

Four ovens, what on earth possessed those women?! I tend to make curries and stir fries anyway, just need to find new things to try so it doesn't get too monotonous.
Four ovens, what on earth possessed those women?! I tend to make curries and stir fries anyway, just need to find new things to try so it doesn't get too monotonous.

I was gobsmacked when I read it I thought it was the most stupid thing ever. I will think of something eventually.
if you could Indian style, 'tis all done on the hob/do-able on the hob.
Reply 5

Depending on how long you'll be waiting you could get a connection oven like thing. They aren't terribly expensive and you essentially have an oven.
That or loads of things like pasta, grilled meat, stir fry, stew, pulled meat, risotto, cassoulet, jacket potato, mashed potato, microwave chips.
Oh and you can microwave fish fingers and do potato waffles in the toaster btw. Not as good as when it's done in the oven, but add some veg and you've got dinner in less than 10mins. :smile:

Good luck. We had to live without an oven for a while. It's not too hard, but it sure is annoying.
Original post by Kindred
Depending on how long you'll be waiting you could get a connection oven like thing. They aren't terribly expensive and you essentially have an oven.
That or loads of things like pasta, grilled meat, stir fry, stew, pulled meat, risotto, cassoulet, jacket potato, mashed potato, microwave chips.
Oh and you can microwave fish fingers and do potato waffles in the toaster btw. Not as good as when it's done in the oven, but add some veg and you've got dinner in less than 10mins. :smile:

Good luck. We had to live without an oven for a while. It's not too hard, but it sure is annoying.

The microwave has a convection setting on it but it doesn't seem to reach the temperature it's saying it is so I m worried about putting meat in on that setting. I think I m missing baking as a possibility more than anything.
Reply 7
you can always make chocolate rice krispies cake
Reply 8
The microwave has a convection setting on it but it doesn't seem to reach the temperature it's saying it is so I m worried about putting meat in on that setting. I think I m missing baking as a possibility more than anything.

Mug cake :biggrin:
Original post by Lozzz12
you can always make chocolate rice krispies cake

I haven't had them in years but it is quick and easy :smile:
Kick the oven door in!
@claireestelle do you have things like herbs, spices and sauces? There are some good recipes for things like sticky ribs/wings, piri piri chicken or any kind of marinade really that you can then stick in the slow cooker. Even a roast!

I feel ya, I love baking!

Apparently though you can make slow cooker desserts--(x) for example.

Quick Reply

Latest