The Student Room Group

A level Maths 2017 Thread (New Spec: Maths in First Year)

Hello to anyone on this tread,

This is the official (if there's another one; let me know and I'll delete this) thread for new spec A level Maths 2017 taken fully in the first year.

How are you guys revising for it? Do you still have any content left? What do you think of the boundaries as the people who sit it must be confident otherwise they'd take both years?

Good luck,

Scroll to see replies

i need help. I got a U in recent mock. I banged out revision but i found it way too hard. Help me ples
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
i need help. I got a U in recent mock. I banged out revision but i found it way too hard. Help me ples

What do you find hard - pure, stats, mech?

I'd go onto examsolutions watch the videos then bang out the textbooks and past papers for C1-C4 and then S1-S2, M1-M2 for overlapping applied content topics.
Original post by thekidwhogames
What do you find hard - pure, stats, mech?

I'd go onto examsolutions watch the videos then bang out the textbooks and past papers for C1-C4 and then S1-S2, M1-M2 for overlapping applied content topics.

I revised from examsolutions.... I still failed. I was comfortable with 95% of the questions on examsolutions but I still failed.
I revised from examsolutions.... I still failed. I was comfortable with 95% of the questions on examsolutions but I still failed.

Are you taking the whole A level this year? Are you doing the textbook questions?
Are you taking the whole A level this year? Are you doing the textbook questions?

No I'm in Year 12 doing Year 1 rn. I do some of the textbook questions but the mock questions were on another level.
No I'm in Year 12 doing Year 1 rn. I do some of the textbook questions but the mock questions were on another level.

They can't have been much harder than the textbook else the whole country will have some bad results. Are you sure? Are you able to score highly on the C1-C2 Solomon papers? Practice makes perfect.

This is the official (if there's another one; let me know and I'll delete this) thread for new spec A level Maths 2017 taken fully in the first year.

How are you guys revising for it? Do you still have any content left? What do you think of the boundaries as the people who sit it must be confident otherwise they'd take both years?

Good luck,

I'm trying to finish the mixed exercises for year 2 content as we go along but the work's kind of getting on top of me. I wanted to aim for an A* but am struggling just to hit 80% on mocks atm. Any tips on sketching graphs? Cos idk why I struggle so much. We'll be finishing the content by the end of April, so a month for pure practice- kind of nervous but oh well
Original post by i13614SKS
I'm trying to finish the mixed exercises for year 2 content as we go along but the work's kind of getting on top of me. I wanted to aim for an A* but am struggling just to hit 80% on mocks atm. Any tips on sketching graphs? Cos idk why I struggle so much. We'll be finishing the content by the end of April, so a month for pure practice- kind of nervous but oh well

Sketching curves? Depends which ones. But usually, consider intercepts/stationary points and for rational functions I'd consider horizontal and vertical asymptotes. For transformations, consider points.

I recommend finishing the 4 textbooks and then doing every past paper for C1-4 (including Solomon papers, IAL and Madas papers) with some S1-S2, M1-M2.
Original post by i13614SKS

For sketching graphs try to imagine what the graph would look like in your head. Try using the eqaution for clues eg the gradient and y-intecept. Worst case use the Table function on your calc. Plug in equation and find x and y values for each point
They can't have been much harder than the textbook else the whole country will have some bad results. Are you sure? Are you able to score highly on the C1-C2 Solomon papers? Practice makes perfect.

Our papers were internal so i dunno.
Reply 11

Good luck,

Are you taking new spec?
Original post by Notnek
Are you taking new spec?

I think so. Up to last week, I was meant to be taking the old specs but my teacher randomly told me I have a new spec A level Maths mock in a week so I think I'll be taking the new Maths spec, love my school's randomness :biggrin:
Reply 13
I think so. Up to last week, I was meant to be taking the old specs but my teacher randomly told me I have a new spec A level Maths mock in a week so I think I'll be taking the new Maths spec, love my school's randomness :biggrin:

You may call it random, I call it bad organisation :smile:

At least it means you have less to revise for with further maths not included. Are you used to the differences in stats like how a calculator is used and the large data set?

If u started Yr 12 in September 2017, you are doing the new maths spec
Reply 15
@Lemur14 @Protostar here's a thread for 2018 A Level maths (new spec) if there isn't one already. This is for students doing the whole of A Level this year.
Original post by Notnek
You may call it random, I call it bad organisation :smile:

At least it means you have less to revise for with further maths not included. Are you used to the differences in stats like how a calculator is used and the large data set?

Yeah, terrible organisation :angry: after a long time spent on the 12 modules to not do them is quite annoying to be honest.

I've become familiar with them and got the calculator. I'm going to try to complete both applied textbooks the weekend before because IMOK is next week :frown:
If u started Yr 12 in September 2017, you are doing the new maths spec

Yeah that's true but I was meant to take the old specs this year but suddenly switched to the new for Maths xD
Reply 18
Yeah, terrible organisation :angry: after a long time spent on the 12 modules to not do them is quite annoying to be honest.

I've become familiar with them and got the calculator. I'm going to try to complete both applied textbooks the weekend before because IMOK is next week :frown:

I hope it goes well for you :smile: For pure I'm guessing you won't need to do any more learning, just familiarise yourself with the topics.

If you've done M1/2 then mechanics shouldn't be too bad. Stats isn't harder than S1/2 but has a few differences.
Original post by Notnek
I hope it goes well for you :smile: For pure I'm guessing you won't need to do any more learning, just familiarise yourself with the topics.

If you've done M1/2 then mechanics shouldn't be too bad. Stats isn't harder than S1/2 but has a few differences.

Thanks! :smile:

I actually like the new spec better - the FM has an all pure option with modulo arithmetic, Euclidean algorithm etc and Cayley tables. Though volume of revolution is moved to FM but now has it over y axis. Small angle approximations and from first principles (differentiation) are nice additions.

The applied I think I'll be fine with since a lot of it I've already done with the older units.

Do you think the actual exams will be a lot harder than previosu C1-C4?

Quick Reply

Latest