The Student Room Group

What if I fail my conditional offer at Cambridge with two decimals?

Hey everyone,

I have recently received a conditional offer for the Mphil in Management at Cambridge. The condition is that I graduate from my current Bachelor's degree with at least 8.0/10 (I'm Dutch, so we don't receive actual 9s or 10s for courses).
I currently have an average of 7.85 but whether I achieve an 8.0 is fully dependent on my thesis grade. As my thesis supervisor told me she seldomly/never gives higher than an 7.5, I may fail to reach my condition.

To my understanding this means either the department/Graduation Admissions Office will not confirm my offer (most likely, I will be rejected) or the department can be flexible and grant me confirmation (which I hope, of course).

I still hope they will decide that two decimals don't make me a less worthy candidate (average of 7.85 or 7.90 instead of 8.00) , but on the other hand failing to reach the condition is failing to reach it... So I'm not sure what to expect.
Someone who can offer me some perspective? What do you think? Is Cambridge/JBS likely to see this as something they can overcome, as its just a small deviation from the condition, or will they just pick someone else?

Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance!!! :smile:
Original post by whats-in-a-
Hey everyone,

I have recently received a conditional offer for the Mphil in Management at Cambridge. The condition is that I graduate from my current Bachelor's degree with at least 8.0/10 (I'm Dutch, so we don't receive actual 9s or 10s for courses).
I currently have an average of 7.85 but whether I achieve an 8.0 is fully dependent on my thesis grade. As my thesis supervisor told me she seldomly/never gives higher than an 7.5, I may fail to reach my condition.

To my understanding this means either the department/Graduation Admissions Office will not confirm my offer (most likely, I will be rejected) or the department can be flexible and grant me confirmation (which I hope, of course).

I still hope they will decide that two decimals don't make me a less worthy candidate (average of 7.85 or 7.90 instead of 8.00) , but on the other hand failing to reach the condition is failing to reach it... So I'm not sure what to expect.
Someone who can offer me some perspective? What do you think? Is Cambridge/JBS likely to see this as something they can overcome, as its just a small deviation from the condition, or will they just pick someone else?

Sorry for the long question. Thanks in advance!!! :smile:

It depends entirely on the grades other offer holders get. They over-offer by a % to cover this situation. It might be when all the results are in that 100 people made the offer grade for 100 places on the course, so in that case you won't get a place if you miss your grade. If 98 people make the grade, then the 2 nearest miss offer holders will probably get a place. There's no way of knowing beforehand if missing by .15 will be closer than any other miss.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending