The Student Room Group

Grades that will be (a bit) below the entry requirements.. An issue?

--
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pachikame
Hello!

I'm an European student from Holland and I've applied to 5 unis for Game Art Design. As of now, I've heard back from all of them with conditional offers.

However, all of them require me to graduate with an overall grade of 7 at the current level I'm doing. That's where the issue comes in- I have an overall grade lower than 7, but rounded up it would still be a 7.

I have sent emails to the unis, asking whether they'd accept rounded grades. The unis I'd love to pick as my choices, mentioned they would not look at rounded grades.. But that doesn't mean I'm immediately "doomed" for rejection.

My issue is that I REALLY worry about getting into the course anyway, because it means a lot to me to move out of this country and start doing something I'm actually interested in. I know it varies from uni to uni, but I'm just looking for a clear answer. Course-related subjects such as art and English are at an A-grade currently, the only thing that really dooms my overall grade is physics honestly.

So my question is.. How difficult is it to get into a course with slightly-below entry requirements? Would you go into clearing or would you already hear back from the uni before that? What's the process like?

Thank you in advance for helping this worrying person haha :'D

As for how 'difficult' it is, it depends on the popularity of the university and the course. So obviously it varies a lot. In your position, I would assume that failing to meet offer = rejection, and make alternative plans if you are unable to raise the average above a 7. E.g. applying to other countries, use clearing, or reapply next year. I'm not saying that's the most likely outcome (I don't know what is), but it's unfortunately not impossible. If they do decide to reject you (which would be either when you send them your final grades or after A-level results day when they know how many places are left), you would be able to use clearing. This is of course less likely to happen if you narrowly (as in your case) miss your offer, or if the too-low grades are in irrelevant subjects.
Hello!

I'm an European student from Holland and I've applied to 5 unis for Game Art Design. As of now, I've heard back from all of them with conditional offers.

However, all of them require me to graduate with an overall grade of 7 at the current level I'm doing. That's where the issue comes in- I have an overall grade lower than 7, but rounded up it would still be a 7.

I have sent emails to the unis, asking whether they'd accept rounded grades. The unis I'd love to pick as my choices, mentioned they would not look at rounded grades.. But that doesn't mean I'm immediately "doomed" for rejection.

My issue is that I REALLY worry about getting into the course anyway, because it means a lot to me to move out of this country and start doing something I'm actually interested in. I know it varies from uni to uni, but I'm just looking for a clear answer. Course-related subjects such as art and English are at an A-grade currently, the only thing that really dooms my overall grade is physics honestly.

So my question is.. How difficult is it to get into a course with slightly-below entry requirements? Would you go into clearing or would you already hear back from the uni before that? What's the process like?

Thank you in advance for helping this worrying person haha :'D

No-one can give you guarantees, as it will depend on how well else everyone with offers does, and how many places the uni wants to give out. It sounds like they have said you have a chance, but that is all anyone can say at this stage.

You wouldn't go into clearing- the unis would decide whether to accept you or reject you once they had your results (If they stay as undecided for even a little while after this, it's good to ring them and you can maybe persuade them to take you). If they reject you, you won't get a place via clearing.

This is where the firm and insurance choices come into play. As firm, you pick your favourite uni you have any chance of getting into. As insurance, you might want to pick a safer choice that says they accept rounded grades OR you might want to be riskier and chose your second favourite- but this still gives you a second chance of getting in. I would chose your firm and insurance sensibly, rather than thinking about clearing at this stafe.
Hi! I'm Dutch too and kind of in the same boat, physics is about to seriously **** up my average grade lol.

Anyway, I think unis sometimes still accept you if you've missed the grade - as long as the difference isn't too big and you're doing well in relevant subjects. I think that if you get a 6.8 or 6.9 or something you might still be able to get in, just contact the universities after results day. You can also contact them now, and ask whether it'll be a problem for you to miss the grade. Just tell them about the situation, your good grades in the relevant subjects and also mention that like half of your grade has already been decided (by SE) so that it's really tough to get your average grade up. See what they have to say, maybe some will lower the offer condition (I tried this with one uni and they said no, but hey, maybe you're in better luck).

Either way, you'll just have to study your ass off to try and get the highest grades you can! The smaller the difference between the conditions and your exam results, the more likely the uni will be to accept you. Maybe consider doing one of those exam trainings where you work on a subject for three days straight, for instance with Lyceo. It's expensive but I've heard it works.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
No-one can give you guarantees, as it will depend on how well else everyone with offers does, and how many places the uni wants to give out. It sounds like they have said you have a chance, but that is all anyone can say at this stage.

You wouldn't go into clearing- the unis would decide whether to accept you or reject you once they had your results (If they stay as undecided for even a little while after this, it's good to ring them and you can maybe persuade them to take you). If they reject you, you won't get a place via clearing.

This is where the firm and insurance choices come into play. As firm, you pick your favourite uni you have any chance of getting into. As insurance, you might want to pick a safer choice that says they accept rounded grades OR you might want to be riskier and chose your second favourite- but this still gives you a second chance of getting in. I would chose your firm and insurance sensibly, rather than thinking about clearing at this stafe.

Yeah, I worry a lot because it's not 100% sure haha. Thank you for your comment and insight!

Original post by hysterria
Hi! I'm Dutch too and kind of in the same boat, physics is about to seriously **** up my average grade lol.

Anyway, I think unis sometimes still accept you if you've missed the grade - as long as the difference isn't too big and you're doing well in relevant subjects. I think that if you get a 6.8 or 6.9 or something you might still be able to get in, just contact the universities after results day. You can also contact them now, and ask whether it'll be a problem for you to miss the grade. Just tell them about the situation, your good grades in the relevant subjects and also mention that like half of your grade has already been decided (by SE) so that it's really tough to get your average grade up. See what they have to say, maybe some will lower the offer condition (I tried this with one uni and they said no, but hey, maybe you're in better luck).

Either way, you'll just have to study your ass off to try and get the highest grades you can! The smaller the difference between the conditions and your exam results, the more likely the uni will be to accept you. Maybe consider doing one of those exam trainings where you work on a subject for three days straight, for instance with Lyceo. It's expensive but I've heard it works.

Good luck! :smile:

Thank you for your comment as well! I have contacted my first choice and they said "the closer you are to a 7, the better the chance you have", which makes total sense ahah. Anyway, I wish you good luck with your studies and exams as well! My last SE-week is coming up and I'm trying not to freak out :'D

Thank you for your comment as well! I have contacted my first choice and they said "the closer you are to a 7, the better the chance you have", which makes total sense ahah. Anyway, I wish you good luck with your studies and exams as well! My last SE-week is coming up and I'm trying not to freak out :'D

That's good, let's hope you'll get in! And saaaame, my last SE-week is so too and after that the CE will be coming... I'm kinda looking forward to being done with school but at the same time it's weird and a bit scary to be honest :')
Reply 6
Hey, I’m also from Holland!
What I’ve learned is that they don’t really understand the dutch education system. I’d advise you to look up what your American GPA would be (you can find a table with corresponding grades on any university’s website) and look if you have achieved those requirements. When you’ve figured all that out, id advise you to email them again, but now with an explanation of the Dutch school system included.

Good luck, my SE-week started Friday and I’m trying to get my average to an 8,3, so my stress-levels are almost as high as the sky 😂😢!
Original post by M.W.
Hey, I’m also from Holland!
What I’ve learned is that they don’t really understand the dutch education system. I’d advise you to look up what your American GPA would be (you can find a table with corresponding grades on any university’s website) and look if you have achieved those requirements. When you’ve figured all that out, id advise you to email them again, but now with an explanation of the Dutch school system included.

Good luck, my SE-week started Friday and I’m trying to get my average to an 8,3, so my stress-levels are almost as high as the sky 😂😢!

This is so true! According to that nuffic document, I'm predicted 3 A*, 4 A and 2 B, which I think should be top university-worthy, but no, it's not lol. I got an offer from university of Glasgow asking for a VWO diploma with an average grade of 9! I sent them an email to explain the system but they just replied with something like "yeah sorry, entry's very competitive for this year". I doubt they even read my email :').

Good luck! 8,3 is so high but I'm sure you can do it :biggrin:
Yeah, I worry a lot because it's not 100% sure haha. Thank you for your comment and insight!

If it helps, nearly every other student is in the same boat- i.e. not 100% sure they'll get their place. Obviously some people get unconditional offers, but that's only a small minority.

It's just the way the UCAS system works, and why they let you pick a firm and insurance.

It is stressful, and in the past people have suggested to changing to a system where people apply after their exams and start uni in January instead, but nothing has ever really come of it because unis like to stick to the traditional school year.

Anyway, good luck, and hopefully you'll get your place!
Reply 10
I just read the Nuffic article, and I always thought that an 8 would be an A*. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so I'll have to up my game. Do you think they also take into consideration that we have more subjects (e.g. I have 9 subjects, and people who do A-levels often only 3)?

Because it seems to me that achieving higher grades will be more difficult when having to spread your focus, and it isn't mentioned in the article.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending