The Student Room Group

Saudi Arabia and UK close to signing £2 billion Arms deal. What has May learnt?

Even after more than 20,000 people coming on to the streets to protest against the state visit from the "progressive" crown prince. Theresa May decided to begin negotiating an arms deal worth an approximate £2 billion.

How long will this continue until the British government wakes up to the dying children of Yemen?

The Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has been in the British capital for three days on a mission to build broader trade and investment ties, meeting Queen Elizabeth, Prime Minister Theresa May, key ministers and executives.

Britain and Saudi Arabia signed commercial deals worth more than $2 billion (1.44 billion pounds) during Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s visit to London which ended on Friday, a joint statement said, without providing details.

At the start of the trip, the countries set themselves a 65 billion pound ($90 billion) trade and investment target for the coming years, with London looking for new post-Brexit markets for its services sector, and Prince Mohammed seeking to convince wary investors his country is a tolerant and modernising place.

Britain and Saudi Arabia have set themselves a 65 billion- pound ($90 billion) trade and investment target for the coming years, with London looking for new post-Brexit markets for its services sector, and Prince Mohammed seeking to convince wary investors his country is a tolerant and modernising place

But for now the heart of bilateral trade ties remains defence and security. Britain credits Saudi intelligence-sharing with saving British lives and has licensed billions of pounds of weapons and ammunition sales to Saudi Arabia.
That has provided a controversial backdrop to the warm diplomatic welcome for Prince Mohammed, with hundreds turning out on Wednesday to protest arms sales and Saudi Arabia’s role in Yemen’s civil war.
Prime Minister May defended the two countries’ defence ties on Wednesday, saying all arms sales were strictly regulated.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-saudi/saudi-crown-prince-signs-off-uk-visit-with-push-for-fighter-deal-idUKKCN1GL18W

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by The PoliticalGuy
Even after more than 20,000 people coming on to the streets to protest against the state visit from the "progressive" crown prince. Theresa May decided to begin negotiating an arms deal worth an approximate £2 billion.

How long will this continue until the British government wakes up to the dying children of Yemen?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-saudi/saudi-crown-prince-signs-off-uk-visit-with-push-for-fighter-deal-idUKKCN1GL18W

Not sure why you care about Yemen.

It's a proxy war between Saudi and Iran that will exist regardless of whether we take the opportunity to make some money from it. Additionally, i'd rather Yemen come under the Saudi sphere than Iran's for now.
Original post by Rakas21
Not sure why you care about Yemen.

It's a proxy war between Saudi and Iran that will exist regardless of whether we take the opportunity to make some money from it. Additionally, i'd rather Yemen come under the Saudi sphere than Iran's for now.

Not sure why you wouldn't care about innocent men, women and children dying to the hands of the weapons that the UK made.

I would rather wan't the middle east to be a peaceful place, not for any country to be monopolised by Iran or Saudi other than its own ruling government and that won't happen unless we stop selling arms to them.
Reply 3
Not sure why you wouldn't care about innocent men, women and children dying to the hands of the weapons that the UK made.

I would rather wan't the middle east to be a peaceful place, not for any country to be monopolised by Iran or Saudi other than its own ruling government and that won't happen unless we stop selling arms to them.

The Middle East will never be at peace. Their culture is not of ours, it is vastly inferior and produces governments which do not value liberty.

At any rate, as i have mentioned the rebels are supported by Iran (a current ally of Russia over the west) and so i have no major objection as harsh as that is.
Reply 4
The contracts for these jets directly supports tens of thousands of workers all over the country. And indirectly supports 10x more.

The PM has placed her electorate first. In the same way that PMs for the last century have.
the Saudi regime are a bunch of slimeballs, but they are vastly preferable to the Iranians. as they say in the Levant "My enemy's enemy is my friend".
Original post by Drewski
The contracts for these jets directly supports tens of thousands of workers all over the country. And indirectly supports 10x more.

The PM has placed her electorate first. In the same way that PMs for the last century have.

So you support the indirect murders of women and children everyday on the basis of a few expired jobs. OK?
Reply 7
So you support the indirect murders of women and children everyday on the basis of a few expired jobs. OK?

Expired?

We all know that had she not signed the contracts the news would be full of unions talking about how she's stabbed the workers in the back, Labour would be carping on about how she's letting skilled manufacturing industry workers go redundant, with job losses everywhere.

This is the definition of can't win.

And besides, any idea how long it takes to build one of those jets? The Saudis won't see any new aircraft for at least 2 years.

And frankly, yes, I don't care. If they're so bothered about killing people they'll do it regardless of who's 'help' they have or not. Not selling them these aircraft - which they won't have in service until the next decade - won't stop them.
(edited 6 years ago)

It is not the PM's decision alone, there is far too much involved to make it a personal matter and Jezza would have no room for compromise either, if you think it would make any difference to have another PM in charge or even another party. There were allegedly a million people in the streets protesting against the invasion of Iraq and Labour still went ahead with it, didn't they?

What is a bit off is that Yemen is not really your concern, May is. Were the dying people be at the centre of things and we would have to agree that the solution doesn't lie in the UK's halting of military exports to them. Making it sound dependent on that and the PM is not realistic, it's an attempt to tag May as an uncaring person.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zhog
It is not the PM's decision alone, there is far too much involved to make it a personal matter Jezza would have no room for compromise either, if you think it would make any difference to have another PM in charge or even another party. There were allegedly a million people in the streets protesting against the invasion of Iraq and Labour still went ahead with it, didn't they?

You are the one who is turning this into party politics, I made no mention of Labour or Jeremy Corbyn, I was highlighting the fact May was intentionally supplying arms to Saudi and not standing up to the oily authoritarians for their involvement in Yemen.

What is a bit off is that Yemen is not really your concern, May is. Were the dying people be at the centre of things and we would have to agree that the solution doesn't lie in the UK's halting of military exports to them. Making it sound dependent on that and the PM is not realistic, it's an attempt to tag May as an uncaring person.

This is an attack on Theresa May for funding and supplying arms to a murdering state that is using them to kill innocent men, women and children. Yes, you are correct May is an uncaring person and she must be exposed.
(edited 6 years ago)

If the UK doesn't sell arms to them someone else will, might as well make some money like Sweden
I was highlighting the fact May was intentionally supplying arms to Saudi and not standing up to the oily authoritarians for their involvement in Yemen.

Why are the two things exclusive?
Original post by the bear
the Saudi regime are a bunch of slimeballs, but they are vastly preferable to the Iranians. as they say in the Levant "My enemy's enemy is my friend".

Why are the Saudis vastly preferable to the Iranians?
Original post by Stalin
Why are the Saudis vastly preferable to the Iranians?

Not anti-western. Pro-trade. Prefer US to Russia.
You are the one who is turning this into party politics, I made no mention of Labour or Jeremy Corbyn, I was highlighting the fact May was intentionally supplying arms to Saudi and not standing up to the oily authoritarians for their involvement in Yemen.

Do you believe Corbyn would do as you wish, were he and Labour in power? The point of that is to highlight how little room for manoeuvre is there for May personally, challenging your assumption that she could or should decide these things by herself. Of course Labour can make a lot of hypocritical noise from a position where they don't have to take the responsibility but their tune would change dramatically were they in Government. They would be saying that halting sales (and creating a diplomatic rift of unimaginable consequences) would not be the solution to the Yemeni problem. To the point that this is not as much about May as you make it, maybe the thread itself is all about party politics and nothing else. May needs to fall for Jezza to be in with a chance before he gets much older, that much is true. The topic of this thread is character assassination of political opponents, nothing else.

This is an attack on Theresa May for funding and supplying arms to a murdering state that is using them to kill innocent men, women and children. Yes, you are correct May is an uncaring person and she must be exposed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Not anti-western.

That may have something to do with Operation Ajax, but such a stance is not irreconcilable; after all, Iran's enormous oil & gas reserves can reduce Europe's reliance on Russia's natural resources, which I am sure you believe would be a desired and positive outcome.

Pro-trade.

Iran is pro-trade - take a look at its numbers with China, Japan and South Korea, for example.

The reason why there is little economic activity between it and the West is due to the American-imposed sanctions and embargo, which its poodles in Europe have no choice but to implement as well; although France and Germany have come to their senses and are beginning to take active measures to either lift the sanctions and embargo or circumvent them, namely because they are keen to reduce their reliance on Russia, but also because Iran is a virgin market of more than 80m educated people that has enormous potential for the coffers of Western corporations.

Prefer US to Russia.

Same answer to your first point: this is not irreconcilable. Relations between countries change frequently - you only have to look at what is currently happening between the North Korea, South Korea and the United States; or if you prefer a historical example that of France and the UK.
Original post by Rakas21
Not anti-western. Pro-trade. Prefer US to Russia.

also not secretly working on nukes.
also not secretly working on nukes.

Is that irreconcilable?

China secretly developed and acquired nuclear weapons, but the West bends over backward to trade with the country.

Pakistan secretly developed and acquired nuclear weapons, and yet it is the third largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid.

Also, thanks for responding to my quote.
Original post by Stalin
Is that irreconcilable?

China secretly developed and acquired nuclear weapons, but the West bends over backward to trade with the country.

Pakistan secretly developed and acquired nuclear weapons, and yet it is the third largest recipient of U.S. foreign aid.

Also, thanks for responding to my quote.

hmmmm but Iran/Persia has many times expressed a desire to exterminate the State of Israel.

no they are not.They fund terrorism and the likes of Isis.How are they our friends? They are very much our enemies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending