The Student Room Group

Favourite one hit wonders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
Quite a lot are wrong, e.g. Tapu, Simple Minds

OK , Simple Minds had Belfast Child as a famous enough other hit.

And maybe 'Tapu' (sic - it's t.A.T.u)'s other songs were better known
with da kids than they were with me.

As Matthew said,
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and
pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
It's not like the vast majority of mine aren't essentially one hit
wonders by the criteria that I said at the start of my post. It's not like you've all been coming up with great, heaving, lists.And it's not like
even sites that get paid to come up with articles don't make more
glaring falsities.

(Chumbawamba, by the way, also had a hit with Amnesia (top 10 hit) but , by my reckoning, and the reckoning of most sites, most people
wouldn't remember it unless prompted. Sometimes some respected
sites who get paid even say that The Verve, which wasn't on my list, was a 1 hit wonder merely because only Bittersweet Symphony got in
the US top 10 (even though Lucky Man got in their top 20). Sometimes there are acts internationally regarded as 1 hit wonders who , domestically, aren't 1 hit wonders at all).
Original post by Picnic1
What are any of those 4's well known other hits?

Tatu- not gonna get us, all about us
gnarla barkley- smiley faces
dead or alive- brand new lover, in too deep, my heart goes bang, thats the way (i like it)
estelle- wait a minute (just a touch), make her say (beat it up)

Whilst quite a few of these songs might not be as well known as the ones you listed, the above artists all brought out several other songs (especially dead or alive- who ended up bringing out 7 top 40 singles and 3 top 30 albums). So none of these were one hit wonders.
A one hit wonder is where they only bring ONE and only ONE hit out. Just because one of them hits might be more well known than the rest they brought out, doesnt mean they are a one hit wonder.
Original post by Picnic1

Summer In The City - The Loving Spoonful

They also did What a day for a daydream, I think it was called.
Metro Station - Shake It
[video]https://youtu.be/_wjFahULCK8[/video]
Reply 44
Original post by Picnic1
OK , Simple Minds had Belfast Child as a famous enough other hit.

And maybe 'Tapu' (sic - it's t.A.T.u)'s other songs were better known
with da kids than they were with me.

As Matthew said,
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and
pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
It's not like the vast majority of mine aren't essentially one hit
wonders by the criteria that I said at the start of my post. It's not like you've all been coming up with great, heaving, lists.And it's not like
even sites that get paid to come up with articles don't make more
glaring falsities.

(Chumbawamba, by the way, also had a hit with Amnesia (top 10 hit) but , by my reckoning, and the reckoning of most sites, most people
wouldn't remember it unless prompted. Sometimes some respected
sites who get paid even say that The Verve, which wasn't on my list, was a 1 hit wonder merely because only Bittersweet Symphony got in
the US top 10 (even though Lucky Man got in their top 20). Sometimes there are acts internationally regarded as 1 hit wonders who , domestically, aren't 1 hit wonders at all).

Simple minds had loads of hits:

All the things she said
New Gold dream
Alive and kicking
Water front
Glittering prizes

T'pau

Heart and soul
Bridge of spies

Being a one hit wonder is a matter of fact not your opinion or memory.
Original post by Maker

Being a one hit wonder is a matter of fact not your opinion or memory.

When Rolling Stone magazine think that The Verve is a one hit wonder, I'll think my opinion/memory at least wasn't getting paid for it:

www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-your-favorite-1990s-one-hit-wonders-20120815/5-the-verve-bitter-sweet-symphony-0975580

(the fact that it's a readers poll doesn't excuse Rolling Stone from including it - or including it without an explanation that, in fact, The Verve also had another top 20 song in the US, Lucky Man).

Sorry I had inaccuracies. I think you've enjoyed jumping on my post with indecent haste though, possibly because of its length making your own lack of contribution to the actual topic itself more glaring.
(edited 6 years ago)
Junior Senior, did actually release another song - Rhythm Bandits. No idea how much of a hit it was though.
Reply 47
Original post by Picnic1
When Rolling Stone magazine think that The Verve is a one hit wonder, I'll think my opinion/memory at least wasn't getting paid for it:

www.rollingstone.com/music/pictures/readers-poll-your-favorite-1990s-one-hit-wonders-20120815/5-the-verve-bitter-sweet-symphony-0975580

(the fact that it's a readers poll doesn't excuse Rolling Stone from including it - or including it without an explanation that, in fact, The Verve also had another top 20 song in the US, Lucky Man).

Sorry I had inaccuracies. I think you've enjoyed jumping on my post with indecent haste though, possibly because of its length making your own lack of contribution to the actual topic itself more glaring.

Rolling Stone's opinion is irrelevant, hits are facts, not opinion.
Original post by Maker
Rolling Stone's opinion is irrelevant, hits are facts, not opinion.

Here's a fact - you enjoy looking for mistakes more than you do either
contributing anything significant yourself or praising a contribution that might be 90% or more correct.

I take it you're familiar with BIG CoUNTry.

Quick Reply

Latest