The Student Room Group

A level Maths 2017 Thread (New Spec: Maths in First Year)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thekidwhogames
Yeah that's true but I was meant to take the old specs this year but suddenly switched to the new for Maths xD

How tf
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
How tf

I'm not in year 12 so I wasn't naturally meant to do the new specification.
Thanks! :smile:

I actually like the new spec better - the FM has an all pure option with modulo arithmetic, Euclidean algorithm etc and Cayley tables. Though volume of revolution is moved to FM but now has it over y axis. Small angle approximations and from first principles (differentiation) are nice additions.

The applied I think I'll be fine with since a lot of it I've already done with the older units.

Do you think the actual exams will be a lot harder than previosu C1-C4?

TBH i might think my mock questions r from CIE examination papers .
Reply 23

From looking at specimen papers, the individual questions don't seem harder but there's not enough of them to judge. But there are fewer exams for the whole of A Level which means each new spec exam will cover more stuff than an old modular exam - this is going to make them harder for the average student. Also you can't do e.g. 30 C2 papers to get good at C2 anymore. I'd guess the difficulty will be similar to an IAL C1/2 paper or C3/4 paper but it could be harder or easier.

Because of a lack of papers and teachers not being familiar with the new spec, in the first few years the grade boundaries will be low like they were for 9-1 GCSE last year. It's very hard to guess what they'll be though.

One interesting thing for the 2018 exam that you will be taking is that the vast majority of students will be taking FM in 2019 so they will be high ability students. When I first heard that I thought this would mean that the 2018 boundaries would be high but apparently boundaries are adjusted to make sure there's no disadvantage taking the exam alongside high ability students.
I'm not in year 12 so I wasn't naturally meant to do the new specification.

U should be doing old spec then
Reply 25

They don't look harder (the specimen papers).
Original post by AddQ7
From looking at the specimen papers (Pure maths paper 1 and 2), they don't look harder.

Are you doing the old spec A level Maths/FM as you're also doing them earlier? But new spec is available this year.
Original post by Notnek
From looking at specimen papers, the individual questions don't seem harder but there's not enough of them to judge. But there are fewer exams for the whole of A Level which means each new spec exam will cover more stuff than an old modular exam - this is going to make them harder for the average student. Also you can't do e.g. 30 C2 papers to get good at C2 anymore. I'd guess the difficulty will be similar to an IAL C1/2 paper or C3/4 paper but it could be harder or easier.

Because of a lack of papers and teachers not being familiar with the new spec, in the first few years the grade boundaries will be low like they were for 9-1 GCSE last year. It's very hard to guess what they'll be though.

One interesting thing for the 2018 exam that you will be taking is that the vast majority of students will be taking FM in 2019 so they will be high ability students. When I first heard that I thought this would mean that the 2018 boundaries would be high but apparently boundaries are adjusted to make sure there's no disadvantage taking the exam alongside high ability students.

Yeah, I agree that they may be around the difficulty of the IAL papers. I mean hopefully boundaries don't rise beyond something silly like 95% for an A* otherwise it'll be a bit dangerous :s-smilie:
U should be doing old spec then

I should be but my school made me do the new spec.
Reply 29
Yeah, I agree that they may be around the difficulty of the IAL papers. I mean hopefully boundaries don't rise beyond something silly like 95% for an A* otherwise it'll be a bit dangerous :s-smilie:

I highly doubt that they'll be that high. If they are please return to this thread and rub it in my face :biggrin:
How far are people through the course? No idea if we are going through it quick enough
Original post by number0
How far are people through the course? No idea if we are going through it quick enough

we started Yr 1 intregration
we started Yr 1 intregration

Are you doing the A level this year or next year?
Original post by number0
Are you doing the A level this year or next year?

next. i aint tht smart

new spec btw
Original post by number0

Finished the old spec and soon the new - just got to finish the textbooks.
Finished the old spec and soon the new - just got to finish the textbooks.

We've basically finished the year 2 applied but around half way through the pure year 2 i think, got a bit to go.
Original post by number0
We've basically finished the year 2 applied but around half way through the pure year 2 i think, got a bit to go.

I think that's going fast enough at it. Is your whole class doing it early?
Reply 37
Original post by number0

That sounds fine to me. If you only have half of pure Y2 to go then you'll only be focusing on that so that shouldn't take too long.
I think that's going fast enough at it. Is your whole class doing it early?

Yeh its like a class of 10 further maths, I really like it cause everyone is so competitive lol.
Original post by Notnek
That sounds fine to me. If you only have half of pure Y2 to go then you'll only be focusing on that so that shouldn't take too long.

Perfect, just too used to GCSEs were you can finish the course a lot earlier lol

Quick Reply

Latest