The Student Room Group

edexcel FP2

for this question, why is P.I t cube instead of t square, is there a way of knowing the power of t straight away?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Iconic_panda
for this question, why is P.I t cube instead of t square, is there a way of knowing the power of t straight away?

What's the question?

I'll guess that you already have a t squared term in your CF. You therefore have to multiply by another t.

Similarly, if you already had a e^t term in the CF (just that, not multiplied by some more algebra), then you'd have your PI as te^t.
this question here
Original post by RDKGames
What's the question?
my CF only have t in there, no t square, can you please check the question below?
Original post by tiny hobbit
I'll guess that you already have a t squared term in your CF. You therefore have to multiply by another t.

Similarly, if you already had a e^t term in the CF (just that, not multiplied by some more algebra), then you'd have your PI as te^t.
this question here

The auxiliary equation has a repeated root, 2, which is also in 3te2t3te^{2t}

The general rule of thumb, is that if your auxiliary eq. has a repeated root γ\gamma while your RHS of the ODE has eγte^{\gamma t}, then the suggested P.I. is t2eγtt^2e^{\gamma t}. Here, we have the RHS as teγtte^{\gamma t} therefore we go up one in the power of tt on our P.I. as well, hence we use t3eγtt^3e^{\gamma t}

Have a good look here starting 'In a nutshell...' (particularly the P.I. choice section) to get a solid understanding of how to deal with all types of ODE's at A-Level.
(edited 6 years ago)
this question here

For the particular integral.

TRY x=ate2t x= ate^{2t}

find x(t)=2ate2t+ae2tx'(t) = 2ate^{2t} + ae^{2t}
x(t)=4ate2t+4ae2tx''(t) = 4ate^{2t} + 4ae^{2t}

sub in ODE to produce a vanishing LHS : 0=0

oh no!

so we try
x=3t2e2tx=3t^2e^{2t}
ah right!
what if it keeps on not working hahha, do we keep going up the power?
Original post by NotNotBatman
For the particular integral.

TRY x=ate2t x= ate^{2t}

find x(t)=2ate2t+ae2tx'(t) = 2ate^{2t} + ae^{2t}
x(t)=4ate2t+4ae2tx''(t) = 4ate^{2t} + 4ae^{2t}

sub in ODE to produce a vanishing LHS : 0=0

oh no!

so we try
x=3t2e2tx=3t^2e^{2t}
I got another question, what if the RHS is a combination of two, let say 5 sinx + e^x. would we try PI as a sin x+ b cos x +c e^x, i.e the combination of two as well?

The auxiliary equation has a repeated root, 2, which is also in 3te2t3te^{2t}

The general rule of thumb, is that if your auxiliary eq. has a repeated root γ\gamma while your RHS of the ODE has eγte^{\gamma t}, then the suggested P.I. is t2eγtt^2e^{\gamma t}. Here, we have the RHS as teγtte^{\gamma t} therefore we go up one in the power of tt on our P.I. as well, hence we use t3eγtt^3e^{\gamma t}

Have a good look here starting 'In a nutshell...' (particularly the P.I. choice section) to get a solid understanding of how to deal with all types of ODE's at A-Level.
I got another question, what if the RHS is a combination of two, let say 5 sinx + e^x. would we try PI as a sin x+ b cos x +c e^x, i.e the combination of two as well?

Yep
thank you
Yep

Quick Reply

Latest