The Student Room Group

A level Maths 2017 Thread (New Spec: Maths in First Year)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by thekidwhogames
Are you doing the old spec A level Maths/FM as you're also doing them earlier? But new spec is available this year.

Old, since I'm only doing 6 modules this year as I did 6 last year (although one of which was FP1 so doesn't count to a full a level). I guess switching to new spec would make doing those exams pointless.

I'm sure you can easily get 100% (or near 100%) next year in further/core pure maths, which I can imagine to be quite rare since it's the first year for the f.m new spec.
Original post by number0
Yeh its like a class of 10 further maths, I really like it cause everyone is so competitive lol.

Ah, all A* students right?
Ah, all A* students right?

I wouldn't go that far, but there still a while till the exams so I couldn't really say properly.
Original post by AddQ7
Old, since I'm only doing 6 modules this year as I did 6 last year (although one of which was FP1 so doesn't count to a full a level). I guess switching to new spec would make doing those exams pointless.

I'm sure you can easily get 100% (or near 100%) next year in further/core pure maths, which I can imagine to be quite rare since it's the first year for the f.m new spec.

Oh you lucky guy! The old spec is basically home - wish I can take it. Good luck in it - you'll get those A*A*!

Hopefully, I'm going to sit whole new spec this year and whole of FM next year (all pure) which has nice topics I did in Olympiad Maths like modular arithmetic, etc.
Oh you lucky guy! The old spec is basically home - wish I can take it. Good luck in it - you'll get those A*A*!

Hopefully, I'm going to sit whole new spec this year and whole of FM next year (all pure) which has nice topics I did in Olympiad Maths like modular arithmetic, etc.

Wish i did old spec :frown:
Original post by Notnek
@Lemur14 @Protostar here's a thread for 2018 A Level maths (new spec) if there isn't one already. This is for students doing the whole of A Level this year.

Great :smile: We haven't got a thread to my knowledge for those doing the full A level this year, just the year 12 maths study thread :colondollar:

Tagging in a few people iirc are doing the full A level this year (apologies if you've already found this thread, haven't read through it all!)
@DeepInTheMeadow @StayWoke
Reply 46

How are you doing in terms of practicing for the Maclaurin olympiad? Some past papers I find hard, others I find easy. I just hope there's no questions like 2017 Q6.
Reply 47
Original post by Lemur14
Great :smile: We haven't got a thread to my knowledge for those doing the full A level this year, just the year 12 maths study thread :colondollar:

Tagging in a few people iirc are doing the full A level this year (apologies if you've already found this thread, haven't read through it all!)

I was thinking it could be one of the exam threads but I forgot that it's not exam board specific.
Original post by AddQ7
How are you doing in terms of practicing for the Maclaurin olympiad? Some past papers I find hard, others I find easy. I just hope there's no questions like 2017 Q6.

Pretty good. I'm loving the algebra, geometry and number theory but the tiles problems I'm not that good at. The 2017 q6 was very annoying - it was the question that I just had no idea on that particular paper. Also my combinatorics isn't that great. Hoping for the paper to have 2 geometry, 2 algebra and a number theory question.

What about yourself? Also did you get invited to the UKMT school?
Original post by Notnek
I was thinking it could be one of the exam threads but I forgot that it's not exam board specific.

Ahh ok, I think this is just a nice discussion/support thread :smile: Exam threads are on my list to do for tomorrow/Monday :smile:
Reply 50
Pretty good. I'm loving the algebra, geometry and number theory but the tiles problems I'm not that good at. The 2017 q6 was very annoying - it was the question that I just had no idea on that particular paper. Also my combinatorics isn't that great. Hoping for the paper to have 2 geometry, 2 algebra and a number theory question.

What about yourself? Also did you get invited to the UKMT school?

If you mean the camps, then no.

I find the non-worded algebra and diophantine equations easy. Not bad at number theory or geometry. worded algebra and combinatorics, difficult. I'm realistically aiming for the medal, possibly the book prize. I've got no chance for the Oxford Camp.
Original post by i13614SKS
I'm trying to finish the mixed exercises for year 2 content as we go along but the work's kind of getting on top of me. I wanted to aim for an A* but am struggling just to hit 80% on mocks atm. Any tips on sketching graphs? Cos idk why I struggle so much. We'll be finishing the content by the end of April, so a month for pure practice- kind of nervous but oh well

If you have a graphical calculator, then sketching graphs is one less thing to worry about for your exams. Because of that you dion't need to learn the graphs of say, y =cosec x, y = cot x etc (as well as other complicated equations) because you can simply enter them in the graphical calc. My suggestion is to rent the graphical calculator from your college if they do so. (you will be able to do this until the end of your exams).
Original post by AddQ7
If you mean the camps, then no.

I find the non-worded algebra and diophantine equations easy. Not bad at number theory or geometry. worded algebra and combinatorics, difficult. I'm realistically aiming for the medal, possibly the book prize. I've got no chance for the Oxford Camp.

Yeah, the non-worded number theory and algebra would be free questions. I wish there's a simultaneous equation but it came up recently so I'm not too sure - that would be a good problem (good 10 marks). I'm sure there'll be some sort of diophantine equation leaking in there.

I have no idea what I'm aiming for - I'd like to get the book prize since that's usually 4 problems and a few marks but I'm not sure what the camp requirements are so I won't aim for that (though I'll be happily surprised if I do).

I'd recommend going over the IMOK book and past papers as well as some BMO questions for algebra, number theory and combinatorics as some of them could be Maclaurin question 4-6.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Lemur14

thanks for the @. Though, I don't use TSR much anymore so I'm probably not gonna be active in here.
Original post by StayWoke
thanks for the @. Though, I don't use TSR much anymore so I'm probably not gonna be active in here.

You're welcome :smile: Wasn't expecting you to be, just thought you might like to see it!

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14

Thanks Lemur!!!

Hey guys, I'm doing the full A level this year...kill me now :redface: Just discovered MadasMaths which has a few practice papers available since we don't have any past papers!!!

What are you guys all doing to prepare?
Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
Thanks Lemur!!!

Hey guys, I'm doing the full A level this year...kill me now :redface: Just discovered MadasMaths which has a few practice papers available since we don't have any past papers!!!

You're welcome :smile:
You can do it :rave: Was thinking I'm sure my school has some papers from a website...went to look it up and apparently it's MadasMaths :facepalm: Shows how many of those I've looked at (I'll give you a hint <1 :laugh:)
Reply 57
Thanks Lemur!!!

There aren't many practice papers available at the moment for the new spec unfortunately (there will be more next year). Make sure you try all the specimen papers for the different exam boards because it's all the same content.

I recommend the CGP exam practice workbook e.g. this one for Edexcel which has lots of exam style questions. Still not as good as an actual past paper though. Old modular exams are still very useful for practicing individual questions. C12 and C34 papers are good because they contain more topics, like the new A Level papers.

EDIT : Forgot to say that the CGP book also has whole practice papers in it which are very useful.
(edited 6 years ago)
Thanks Lemur!!!

I'm doing every single C1-C4 past/IAL/Solomon/Madas paper alongside S1-S2 papers. Also, the new textbooks to complete too.
I find the most old papers still rly good practise except the statistics ones. I swear S1 and S2 is so different to what I've done

Quick Reply