The Student Room Group

Why do women want gender equality in the workplace, but not in dating?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
What tribes existed before there were humans? Where do you get this stuff from? It certainly wasn't the article you provided a link to.

That part was from a documentary, about prehuman tribes and how they lived. I didn't include yet because I don't keep track of everything I watch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cat_mac
Ummm....

Your assumption about “women being gold diggers” being a common reason people get divorced holds no weight. Money is one of the common reasons people divorce, a gold digging partner isn’t. If you have anything to back up your gold digger divorce claims i’m sure people will be much happier to consider them, though it does seem to be another ill-willed assumption on your part. Making negative blanket statements about women is obviously going to piss people off.

Edit: @cherryred90s @Tiger Rag since he’s asked both of you for where he made comments claiming that gold diggers are a major cause of divorce, thought this might be of use.

I dont think you read properly. I wrote that a major source of divorce is FINANCE. The subset of that is where some women appear to be gold diggers.

Why am I engaging with people like this?
Original post by k.n.h.
I'm a bit curious of this, example? Preferably one that shows that women quite often (which I interpret as a medium to medium-large scale practice) get paid less than men? And everything between the subjects must be virtually identical (qualifications, hours worked..etc.)

The BBC? DJs or presenters?etc.
Original post by Rottenapple12
...I don't keep track of everything I watch.

Yeah, I'm kinda getting that.
@k.n.h.
The QI presenter Sandi someone refused to do the show unless she got the same pay as the previous MALE presenter, because she was going to get less otherwise
Original post by Wired_1800
I dont think you read properly. I wrote that a major source of divorce is FINANCE. The subset of that is where some women appear to be gold diggers.

Why am I engaging with people like this?

Why even mention gold diggers? It had little to do with the conversation, which made it look like a petty jab. That’s why we picked up on it. If I said “a major cause for divorce is money where some men appear to spend money
Original post by cat_mac
Why even mention gold diggers? It had little to do with the conversation, which made it look like a petty jab. That’s why we picked up on it. If I said “a major cause for divorce is money where some men appear to spend money

It wont let me edit this for some reason...
“Why even mention gold diggers? It had little to do with the conversation, which made it look like a petty jab. That’s why we picked up on it. If I said “a major cause for divorce is money where some men appear to spend money on season tickets than their wives” you’d rightly ask why the hell i’m going on about football. @Wired_1800
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
Gold digging is when money is only important. Why would you think I would date a bum? Like...are you mad? LOL. Money is important for marriage, and any guy offended by that is 9/10 times broke. Is a guy shallow because he wants to marry an attractive women?
Gold digging is wrong because that means you're marrying the money, not the person. At least if a guy wants to marry an attractive woman, her looks are a physical part of her. Money is not even a physical part of him.

He may as well give you his wealth and not have any contact with you. That would be good for the gold digger, because she gets to spend the money, have financial security and doesn't have to waste her time spending time with the man.
I have been consistent with my points. Read my comments, if you don't understand then ask questions. You go to uni and should be adept in the skill of discussion and engagement. I hope you don't assume wrongly and write your assumptions as what your Professors have said during the public examinations.

To your point about black women, the other poster put it well. Many black women tend to stick to their race. Due to the slim pickings of eligible black men, most settle for not so great guys. This causes them to marry down. However, this does not mean that they don't like money, it means that they value racial propagation more than socio-economic conditions. That is they would rather want black children than marry a rich white or asian man.

The sad truth is that eligible real black men are scarce in the black community. When you take away those in jail, those doing drugs, in gangs or petty crime, then you remove the low-skilled ones, the philanderers, black women are faced with a massive shortage of successful black men.

Even then, some of the successful ones don't even marry these black women. They marry white, asian and latina women. Even Kanye West said it, “once he gets on, he will leave you for a white girl”.

So with all these obstacles and with a strong need to stay within their community, some black women have no choice but to marry down. Yet, with all this, it still does not eliminate the idea of them liking money, money is just secondary to the successful ones, who already have some of it.

I don't like your passive aggressive tone tbh. You come across as patronising a lot. Sometimes people misinterpret things differently.
Yeah exactly, what you said was totally true. And tbh, I am quite shocked you are admitting this.
Yeah- that's my point. They care about money, but to a certain extent. You even said they value race more than socio-economic reasons.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by cat_mac

You can assume what you like. It was not intended as a “petty jab”. What annoys me is that some of the women have twisted the comment and started asking idiotic questions.

If you said that a major cause of divorce is money where men spend money is a perfectly fine claim to make.

There are many factors that amount to the financial pressures that cause divorce. Another factor is poor financial planning. For example, a man mismanaging his family’s resources and making poor financial decisions.

A scenario is this: Joe Bloggs and Mrs Theresa Bloggs have £75,000 to put down on a property of their dreams. They had saved for 10 years and had done all the paperwork.

Two weeks before they finalise the deal, Mr Bloggs’ mate Johnny Bone tells Joe of a cool deal that can double his money. This involves investing in Bitcoin. Joe puts this £75k in the market and loses everything.

The day before the mortgage signing, Joe tells Mrs Bloggs that he lost all the money, which causes a major row. The loss of the money causes major financial strains on the family. From the row, Joe and Theresa continue to argue and fight until Mrs Bloggs asks for a divorce.

Now, the reason for the divorce is financial pressures, where there was poor financial decisions on Mr Bloggs’ part. So there can be different factors that can lead to financial pressures causing divorce.
Original post by snowman77
Gold digging is wrong because that means you're marrying the money, not the person. At least if a guy wants to marry an attractive woman, her looks are a physical part of her. Money is not even a physical part of him.

He may as well give you his wealth and not have any contact with you. That would be good for the gold digger, because she gets to spend the money, have financial security and doesn't have to waste her time spending time with the man.

lol.ok
I don't like your passive aggressive tone tbh. You come across as patronising a lot. Sometimes people misinterpret things differently.
Yeah exactly, what you said was totally true. And tbh, I am quite shocked you are admitting this.
Yeah- that's my point. They care about money, but to a certain extent. You even said they value race more than socio-economic reasons.

What are you shocked about?

You kept on saying that black women don't like money until the other poster called you out on your BS.
What are you shocked about?

You kept on saying that black women don't like money until the other poster called you out on your BS.

Shocked because you are black, admitting that most black men are trash bums. Usually most black men are in denial about this- so well done for that.

Omg, that isn't what I meant. I meant that bw, generally can't be viewed as gold diggers because we marry down.
Original post by laurawatt
@k.n.h.
The QI presenter Sandi someone refused to do the show unless she got the same pay as the previous MALE presenter, because she was going to get less otherwise

I personally don't believe the cases of unequal pay between people of identical circumstances simply due to gender is widespread. A few reasons being that most data I observe proposing this are simply not taking factors such as hours worked, performance depending on the job, hierarchal position..etc. Payments to employees differing due to gender is illegal (I know it can happen, companies can break the law, it just drastically reduces the number of occurrences, and I just haven't come across any satisfiable proof yet. About the QI incident, if this is true, that is terrible. She should get the same salary for the same level of performance as a host as Stephen Fry (previous male presenter of QI).
Shocked because you are black, admitting that most black men are trash bums. Usually most black men are in denial about this- so well done for that.

Omg, that isn't what I meant. I meant that bw, generally can't be viewed as gold diggers because we marry down.

We need to own the truth, then we can progress. I hate seeing black people have this fake consciousness like they are “woke” but then their communities are messed up. Their women are treated like rubbish when they should be treated like Queens.
You can assume what you like. It was not intended as a “petty jab”. What annoys me is that some of the women have twisted the comment and started asking idiotic questions.

If you said that a major cause of divorce is money where men spend money is a perfectly fine claim to make.

There are many factors that amount to the financial pressures that cause divorce. Another factor is poor financial planning. For example, a man mismanaging his family’s resources and making poor financial decisions.

A scenario is this: Joe Bloggs and Mrs Theresa Bloggs have £75,000 to put down on a property of their dreams. They had saved for 10 years and had done all the paperwork.

Two weeks before they finalise the deal, Mr Bloggs’ mate Johnny Bone tells Joe of a cool deal that can double his money. This involves investing in Bitcoin. Joe puts this £75k in the market and loses everything.

The day before the mortgage signing, Joe tells Mrs Bloggs that he lost all the money, which causes a major row. The loss of the money causes major financial strains on the family. From the row, Joe and Theresa continue to argue and fight until Mrs Bloggs asks for a divorce.

Now, the reason for the divorce is financial pressures, where there was poor financial decisions on Mr Bloggs’ part. So there can be different factors that can lead to financial pressures causing divorce.

How is asking for a source an idiotic question? You’re upset because you got called out on the rubbish you typed
We need to own the truth, then we can progress. I hate seeing black people have this fake consciousness like they are “woke” but then their communities are messed up. Their women are treated like rubbish when they should be treated like Queens.

lol, true. I agree.
One minute you are a women hater, the other you are not. I don't understand lol
Original post by cherryred90s
How is asking for a source an idiotic question? You’re upset because you got called out on the rubbish you typed

You were asking for evidence to show that gold digging caused divorces, which was not what I wrote. I had already provided evidences to my claims.

My point was, the way you mentioned gold diggers reads as gold diggers are a major reason in divorces about money. Hence many women being pissed by it, as it’s a claim that’s just been pulled out of your ass and looks like a dig. If you meant it differently then you need to take more care with how you word things, as you often seem frustrated by people not interpreting things the way you meant them.
You were asking for evidence to show that gold digging caused divorces, which was not what I wrote. I had already provided evidences to my claims.

What? Divorce rates are at an all-time high. There are many reasons for it, some of which may include incompatibility. The one major cause is finance where some women appear to be gold-diggers.

Where’s the evidence for the bolded?! Or are you going to admit that you made it up ?

Quick Reply

Latest