The Student Room Group

STEP I and II or STEP II and III

I plan on doing STEP and read online that you can either do STEP I and II or II and III. It is recommended to do the latter option of you are studying further maths. It also says that STEP I is considered to be the easier paper and that II and III are of equal difficulty. What is the disadvantage to doing STEP I if you do further maths?Because it makes more sense to just do an easier paper if possible.

Thanks,
Luke
What do you need STEP for?
Reply 2
Original post by mehmehmeh01
What do you need STEP for?

I want to study maths at uni and you need STEP for Cambridge and Warwick.
Original post by soupram
I want to study maths at uni and you need STEP for Cambridge and Warwick.

Warwick wants a grade 1 in any STEP paper (there are ways around this though, e.g. reduced offer or getting 3A* for their normal offer), Cambridge will tell you which papers you need to do so you don't get to decide.
Reply 4
They changed the rules (and the timetable - STEP I and III used to be timetabled at the same time) about 5 years ago and you can do all 3 if you want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Yep, the standard Cambridge offer is a grade 1 in STEP II and III. They don't care about your grade in STEP I. Warwick requires grade I in any STEP.
Echoing the above posts, Warwick for the most part like a 1 in any STEP, however whilst Cambridge typically have listed STEP II and III with a 1 in their offers, you cannot for sure make that assumption, as the offer will be a little different for everyone and they will specifically state the grades needed and which STEP to sit. You do have the option to sit all 3 if you so please.

Quick Reply

Latest