The Student Room Group

Revision allocation

Sooo i am in year 11 first of all and i may be asking this a bit late , the question is, starting now, how many hours should i be dedicating to each exam (23 in total) every week?

Background information : My targets for each subject are 8 for biology, chem, eng lit, french, maths, physics
7 for eng lang, and r.e
A* for further maths and ict
In my mocks in JANUARY, i got a 6 in biology, chem, french, physics and r.e
5 in eng lit
7 in english lang
8 in maths
B in ict and further maths

As you can see i didnt do too well and idk what happened to be honest, i revised for two weeks but in those two weeks it was all mashed up and i dont think it was solid revision if yk what i mean.

I dont want anything below a 7 or A in any subject and just need to know how much to revise for each exam every week please
Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
So would you say 40 mins-1hr of each exam every week is enough if it is proper revision.

Thanks
It varies and depends on the subject.
For example:
last year I spent hours and hours on english on french(of quality work) to improve and get the grade I required, wherelse for maths I did nothing because it wasn't the subject that I needed to revise to keep my grade
Reply 4
Original post by idkthename
Sooo i am in year 11 first of all and i may be asking this a bit late , the question is, starting now, how many hours should i be dedicating to each exam (23 in total) every week?

Background information : My targets for each subject are 8 for biology, chem, eng lit, french, maths, physics
7 for eng lang, and r.e
A* for further maths and ict
In my mocks in JANUARY, i got a 6 in biology, chem, french, physics and r.e
5 in eng lit
7 in english lang
8 in maths
B in ict and further maths

As you can see i didnt do too well and idk what happened to be honest, i revised for two weeks but in those two weeks it was all mashed up and i dont think it was solid revision if yk what i mean.

I dont want anything below a 7 or A in any subject and just need to know how much to revise for each exam every week please

It will ultimately vary depending on the subjects and how confident you are in your knowledge in it. For example, English Lit will probably require lots of memorising but RE will not require as much revision as Math which needs practice. Just revise until you are confident in any topic of each subject. It's not about time as much as it's about your depth of knowledge. Preperation will vary.
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
It varies and depends on the subject.
For example:
last year I spent hours and hours on english on french(of quality work) to improve and get the grade I required, wherelse for maths I did nothing because it wasn't the subject that I needed to revise to keep my grade

Oh ok that is basically what i need aswell thanks
Reply 6
Original post by A.H365
It will ultimately vary depending on the subjects and how confident you are in your knowledge in it. For example, English Lit will probably require lots of memorising but RE will not require as much revision as Math which needs practice. Just revise until you are confident in any topic of each subject. It's not about time as much as it's about your depth of knowledge. Preperation will vary.

Yeah maths i think literally needs an hour a week and i need to focus on english
Oh ok that is basically what i need aswell thanks

Yeah and no, like for me I didn't need to revise maths as it comes naturally to me so I'd get an A wether I revised much or not. I meant it more in that way.
Reply 8
Original post by AzureCeleste
Yeah and no, like for me I didn't need to revise maths as it comes naturally to me so I'd get an A wether I revised much or not. I meant it more in that way.

Thats what i mean too, in a recent past paper i didnt revise at all and got a level 8 , so i guess its a lower priority
Reply 9
Ok i get what you mean i guess i shouldnt have left it so late as there is no room to experiment
I can't answer how many hours to revise each day as it really is dependant on your personal situation. However, you should try to focus on revising more for exams you got low marks (compared to your targets) in during your mocks - namely, English Literature, ICT and Further Maths. Just get on with your revision now, and try to revise each night and at the weekend. Ask your teachers what sub-topics you need to improve on (i.e. Hydrocarbons in Chemistry, or Algebra in Maths) and focus on these - if you got 100% in your unit test on Cells in Biology, you shouldn't need to revise as much on this as if you got 45% in your unit test on Microscopy in Biology. Find your best revision method - whether that be flashcards, mind maps, watching videos, doing past papers - and use this to revise for subjects. TSR have a page for how to revise for certain subjects if you are stuck - I can't find the link, but search it up.
Original post by Koalifications
I can't answer how many hours to revise each day as it really is dependant on your personal situation. However, you should try to focus on revising more for exams you got low marks (compared to your targets) in during your mocks - namely, English Literature, ICT and Further Maths. Just get on with your revision now, and try to revise each night and at the weekend. Ask your teachers what sub-topics you need to improve on (i.e. Hydrocarbons in Chemistry, or Algebra in Maths) and focus on these - if you got 100% in your unit test on Cells in Biology, you shouldn't need to revise as much on this as if you got 45% in your unit test on Microscopy in Biology. Find your best revision method - whether that be flashcards, mind maps, watching videos, doing past papers - and use this to revise for subjects. TSR have a page for how to revise for certain subjects if you are stuck - I can't find the link, but search it up.

Ok that cleared up a lot thanks , and is watching videos good because i love just binge watching freesciencelessons when revising but i didnt know if it was actually effective or not
Ok that cleared up a lot thanks , and is watching videos good because i love just binge watching freesciencelessons when revising but i didnt know if it was actually effective or not

Yes, a fellow fan of freesciencelessons! He is very good for science revision because he tells you exactly what you need to know for the exam and no more or no less. I think watching revision videos is a good idea because they spend three minutes to tell you what your teacher tells you in an hour. However, you must make sure that the videos are for your specification, because you may watch videos that follow the OCR specification instead of the AQA specification, for example. I would recommend taking notes on the videos, or you may forget what you watch.
Original post by Koalifications
Yes, a fellow fan of freesciencelessons! He is very good for science revision because he tells you exactly what you need to know for the exam and no more or no less. I think watching revision videos is a good idea because they spend three minutes to tell you what your teacher tells you in an hour. However, you must make sure that the videos are for your specification, because you may watch videos that follow the OCR specification instead of the AQA specification, for example. I would recommend taking notes on the videos, or you may forget what you watch.

Haha i know exactly what you mean by the 3 mins in an hour, and does he do aqa or ocr???
Haha i know exactly what you mean by the 3 mins in an hour, and does he do aqa or ocr???

He follows the AQA exam board specification, and I find him really useful for teaching science.
That really gave me hope lol thanks i thought i was so far behind

I am starting today and hopefully i dont give up

Quick Reply

Latest