The Student Room Group

Failing

I'm 18.

I have Us in most of my GCSEs apart from 3 but none of them are passes, they're allow below the C grade.
My only qualifications are functional skills level 1 English and maths and animal care, equivalent to D - G GCSEs.

I would love to work with animals, it's my dream. I only have a level 1 qualification but do dog sitting sometimes and have volunteered with animals but want a full time job looking after rescues.

I have severe depression, anxiety and low iron. No friends, most of my family hate me.

I feel like a failure. My sibling has great GCSEs, A levels, masters degree, good paid job which they enjoy. I have nothing other than dog sitting and my pets. I mean how stupid do you have to be to try and pass GCSEs and come out with Us.

I'm likely to never work with animals and be in low paid jobs I hate for the rest of my life, I'm exhausted physically and emotionally from thinking it would be better for me to die. I have nothing to look forward to.

One day I want to have a car, apartment, holidays, it's not really about being rich if I can still have those things but realistically everyone looks down on people like me and probably won't hire me.

What do I do?
hey! please feel free to message me and i can talk to you about things and we can come up with an option for you x also, i can act as a friend for you and make you feel more positive and help you to enjoy life again x please private message me x
I feel like I'm in the same boat. I dropped out of sixth form recently bc I am mad suicidal and all I have is my waitressing gig.

however there are lots of careers with animals and it's admirable you'd devote your life working with them. hmu anytime you need a chat nonny ❤❤
Original post by Anonymous
I'm 18.

I have Us in most of my GCSEs apart from 3 but none of them are passes, they're allow below the C grade.
My only qualifications are functional skills level 1 English and maths and animal care, equivalent to D - G GCSEs.

Retake as a private candidate. It shouldn't be hard to find time at 18.

I would love to work with animals, it's my dream. I only have a level 1 qualification but do dog sitting sometimes and have volunteered with animals but want a full time job looking after rescues.

Great start. Find out what you need to obtain to climb up the ladder.

I have severe depression, anxiety and low iron. No friends, most of my family hate me.

Make sure you are eating a balanced diet, sleeping atleast 8 hours a day and exercising. Also book an appointment with your gp to get referred to a psychiatrist to start mental health treatment. If the waiting list is too long find a private clinic.

I feel like a failure. My sibling has great GCSEs, A levels, masters degree, good paid job which they enjoy. I have nothing other than dog sitting and my pets. I mean how stupid do you have to be to try and pass GCSEs and come out with Us.

Don't compare yourself to others. Life is a marathon. You're at the start line. You can always be better than you were yesterday.

I'm likely to never work with animals and be in low paid jobs I hate for the rest of my life, I'm exhausted physically and emotionally from thinking it would be better for me to die. I have nothing to look forward to.

Sounds like depression. See your GP like I said above.

One day I want to have a car, apartment, holidays, it's not really about being rich if I can still have those things but realistically everyone looks down on people like me and probably won't hire me.

All in your head.

I've been in your situation. I can relate to everything you said. I mainly got Fs, Us, Ds, Cs in my GCSES. It didn't stop me from turning it around, getting A*AB at A-Levels and getting into a top university. Do what I said and you can achieve what you want.
I'm 18.

What do I do?

Don't know where you live, but if your are near a large YMCA they can often help people in your situation and support you with housing, training, and education to get back on track. I particularly recommend the YMCA in Birmingham for this.
Reply 5
Original post by rickyrossman

Make sure you are eating a balanced diet, sleeping atleast 8 hours a day and exercising. Also book an appointment with your gp to get referred to a psychiatrist to start mental health treatment. If the waiting list is too long find a private clinic.

Don't compare yourself to others. Life is a marathon. You're at the start line. You can always be better than you were yesterday.

All in your head.

I've been in your situation. I can relate to everything you said. I mainly got Fs, Us, Ds, Cs in my GCSES. It didn't stop me from turning it around, getting A*AB at A-Levels and getting into a top university. Do what I said and you can achieve what you want.

I just have a hard time when it comes to comparing my life to others lives, especially my sibling, I feel like I'll never have that kind of good life, do try to stay positive though, some days I am happy.
Reply 6

All in your head.

It's too late for me to do A levels but I'm thinking pre access then access, I'm just worried I'm not academic enough, all I want is to work with animals and have a good life but I stress so much, I know a lot of people come out with nothing but end up achieving something but it's a known fact lack of qualifications especially GCSEs can have a bad impact on your life
It's too late for me to do A levels but I'm thinking pre access then access, I'm just worried I'm not academic enough, all I want is to work with animals and have a good life but I stress so much, I know a lot of people come out with nothing but end up achieving something but it's a known fact lack of qualifications especially GCSEs can have a bad impact on your life

retake ur gcse ,do a btec level 2 alongside then if u pass do an level 3 access course for 1 year then go to uni .

Never too late.

Buy the textbooks, get some nice caffeine and start studying. Register as a private candidate.

Lack of GCSEs will definitely hinder your quality of life. Get some GCSEs first then worry about A-Levels/Access courses.

For GCSEs, you can:
- Self study them (textbook, caffeine, register as private candidate for may 2019 exams)
- Enrol in a distance learning course (Usually around £200 per GCSE. Though the ones that offer lectures cost £900)
- Enrol in a local further education college (Might be free, if not you can probably get a learner's loan from the government)

Get at least 5 GCSEs at grade 5-9.
Reply 9

Can you volunteer in a zoo or animal shelter? The RSPCA might be able to give you some pointers. Or contact some zoos and ask what sorts of jobs they have and what qualifications you need.
Original post by asianprincess123
retake ur gcse ,do a btec level 2 alongside then if u pass do an level 3 access course for 1 year then go to uni .

The pre access is designed so you get level 2 (C/4) or higher in GCSEs and I think it was some other qualifications as well then once you pass you choose the access course you want to do then maybe university if you want.
Original post by Thomas2
Can you volunteer in a zoo or animal shelter? The RSPCA might be able to give you some pointers. Or contact some zoos and ask what sorts of jobs they have and what qualifications you need.

I'm getting experience by doing dog sitting and previously volunteered in a few places, I just want more qualifications
Never too late.

Buy the textbooks, get some nice caffeine and start studying. Register as a private candidate.

Lack of GCSEs will definitely hinder your quality of life. Get some GCSEs first then worry about A-Levels/Access courses.

For GCSEs, you can:
- Self study them (textbook, caffeine, register as private candidate for may 2019 exams)
- Enrol in a distance learning course (Usually around £200 per GCSE. Though the ones that offer lectures cost £900)
- Enrol in a local further education college (Might be free, if not you can probably get a learner's loan from the government)

Don't exactly have the money for all of them
The pre access is designed so you get level 2 (C/4) or higher in GCSEs and I think it was some other qualifications as well then once you pass you choose the access course you want to do then maybe university if you want.

i didnt pass my gcse too im curently doing applied science level 2 with english and maths,my friends r doing the same and their 19 they are going to do an acess level 3 course to go uni this september so do consider doing that
i didnt pass my gcse too im curently doing applied science level 2 with english and maths,my friends r doing the same and their 19 they are going to do an acess level 3 course to go uni this september so do consider doing that

What grades did you get? I'm at a college which helps you get into apprenticeships but if I don't get one in animal care I'm considering pre access which is level 2 where you get C/4 in GCSE English and maths then you go on to do an access course in whatever you want, I'll do animal management, then you either get a job or try to go to uni
What grades did you get? I'm at a college which helps you get into apprenticeships but if I don't get one in animal care I'm considering pre access which is level 2 where you get C/4 in GCSE English and maths then you go on to do an access course in whatever you want, I'll do animal management, then you either get a job or try to go to uni

i got ds and cs
i got ds and cs

I have lower than that
Never too late.

For GCSEs, you can:

I'm concerned that I might not be capable of getting that 5/C, if I don't there isn't any chance of success/decent job or decent paid job, the animal industry is competitive

Quick Reply